Does "frequent travel to Thailand tourist visa" stamp affect subsequent Ed visa?

I have been in Chaing Mai pretty much continually since Mar 2016 on tourist visas. Specifically Penang - Vientiane - Vientiane - Hong Kong - Vientiane - (border bounce) Mai Sae/Tachileik. I have a couple more visas (Penang and Vientiane) from years back and a few visa exempt entries from years back, mostly from Malaysia.

I rent a condo, have a lease.

Current extension of visa-exempt stay expires next week.

I am planning on going to school and have signed up, but the school needs time to get the paperwork together for the Ed visa.

So I need to do one more tourist visa.

I have no "this person has travelled to Thailand frequently on tourist visas" stamp yet.

I was thinking of going to KL as I can fly there direct from Chiang Mai, they seem to have lightened up recently, and I have never gone there before for a visa. If I did that I would probably then re-enter by train at Padang Besar and get an internal flight back from Hat Yai.

KL gives me the option of falling back to Penang or Kota Bharu if it was denied.

I'll bring 20,000 in cash out whatever I do, just in case. I have plenty more in the bank and can show the source is outside Thailand.

The other option is just going back to Vientiane. That would be easiest and I also wouldn't need to show a flight out but I am concerned I might get the "this person visits Thailand often on tourist visas" stamp this time, as I have four visas from Vientiane total already in the passport and three relatively recently. Would that stamp stop me going there for the Ed visa?

I do have the option of doing a second border bounce to Tachileik which would be even easier but that would be it for the year. My thinking is I would like to keep 1 visa-exempt land entry available in case of disaster, where I'm outright refused for a visa, at least I can then come back and clear out my stuff and go somewhere else.

Any advice appreciated.

4 hours ago, blorg said:

... Would that stamp stop me going there for the Ed visa? ...

A "this traveler" stamp from Vientiane (which could also hit you in Penang or elsewhere) would not block an "ED Visa" from Vientiane. 

It would only block any further "Tourist Visas" from where you got it, and some other Consulates, until you get a new passport.

Given the current climate, I'd bring all your documentation, including your condo-contract, even if you go to an easier consulate which is less-demanding.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blorg said:

Would that stamp stop me going there for the Ed visa?

No -- The consulate will likely issue the visa. 

However,  an Ed visa in a passport stuffed with TVs etc will be a red flag at immigration........ Be prepared. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys, I may just go to Vientiane so.

Yes I am aware I am a red flag with immigration, planning on returning by land... I guess Nong Khai is likely to be easier there as well.

If all goes wrong as long as they have wifi in the detention centre I think I'll be OK. I heard they also have Starbucks?

I went through a similar situation about 18 moths ago. The school I chose did all the paperwork for me and I travelled with Nok air and went over the bridge to Vientiane completed the paperwork needed there and got everything I needed no questions asked.

I came back over the bridge. No problems......however all the latest stories about this 20,000 baht has raised flags all over. ....my advise, get the paperwork spot on from School, don't turn up looking like a bum, dress smart, look smart be smart, should be no problem - best of luck to you.  

• Like 2