20k cash just for tourists or Work Permit holders also?

Conclusion of the Ranong Andaman Club Visa Run

I'm on a Non Immigrant B Multiple entry visa with work permit. I was not asked to show any funds. A bus load of toursts from Koh Tao also never got asked to show any money or pay bribes unlike the other port in Ranong. It was a much more pleasurable experience and only costs a few hundred baht more which you will likely get extorted at the other port anyway!

On 20/07/2017 at 8:34 AM, perthperson said:

Baht are NOT required.

ANY convertible currency equivalent to 20K Baht is acceptable and it does not need to be changed "straight away" 

You are right, however, it is better advice for 'tourists' pushing their luck with multiple past entries to carry baht. Any argument with an IO that a foreign currency is acceptable is likely to be lost.

On 7/20/2017 at 1:29 PM, PhuketSarah said:

I think folks flying into Thailand or not subjected to the same shearing as ones trying to do land  border crossings- esp from Malaysia.  I've crossed both  Sadao and Pedang Besar  many times and it's always a hassle one way or the other- usually having to go to "special service " counter. One is expected to have 200 baht in the passport.  

A visa agent in Penang has just yesterday posted on his FB page no more of the 200 baht EZ  Entry  though, 20,000 will be enforced.  He has not responded yet to whether applies to only Tourist visa but as post above I can attest I was hassled at PB on an O retirement 

Sarah you have been informed more than once that you no longer have a VISA far less a retirement visa or O retirement,

these things do NOT exist, you have a extension of stay based on retirement and if you continue to use the term " O retirement "

when you are doing your border hops I predict the high possibility that you will have further problems from the IO's.

This will amount to you self hassling.

42 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You are right, however, it is better advice for 'tourists' pushing their luck with multiple past entries to carry baht. Any argument with an IO that a foreign currency is acceptable is likely to be lost.

No, it's not better advice for frequent tourists to carry baht. 

From the website of MFA, for visa exempt.

"However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for

at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to

at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be

inconvenienced upon entry into the country."

Doing a border run at the corrupt ones, perhaps. Airport, no.

Edited by lkv

4 hours ago, lkv said:

No, it's not better advice for frequent tourists to carry baht. 

Of course it is!!

I know the rules and I also know that when an IO is asking to see 20K there's a high chance they are looking for a reason to deny entry.

If you're asked to show 20K baht and waive your dong at the IO it gives more chance of being denied. Arguing what is written on the MFA website would be pointless.

The best advice is to carry baht.

Edited by elviajero

22 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Of course it is!!

I know the rules and I also know that when an IO is asking to see 20K there's a high chance they are looking for a reason to deny entry.

If you're asked to show 20K baht and waive your dong at the IO it gives more chance of being denied. Arguing what is written on the MFA website would be pointless.

Awhile back, someone posted the form the IO must fill out when rejecting-entry, and it had a space to put how much money the person was carrying.  If you had a sufficient amount in Euro or Dollars, and they wanted to reject-entry, I think they'd more likely just claim the applicant was coming to work illegally, using that as the excuse to reject-entry, rather than say you didn't have the money. 

They might initially claim it had to be in baht, or that you could only stay 90 or 180 days/yr, or that you have "too many" tourist visas - but, at the end of the day, they can't reject on any of that made-up claptrap, so they'd use the "they can't prove a negative" fallback, and claim to be omnipotent mind-readers, who know that "illegal work" is in the applicant's future.

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Awhile back, someone posted the form the IO must fill out when rejecting-entry, and it had a space to put how much money the person was carrying.  If you had a sufficient amount in Euro or Dollars, and they wanted to reject-entry, I think they'd more likely just claim the applicant was coming to work illegally, using that as the excuse to reject-entry, rather than say you didn't have the money. 

They might initially claim it had to be in baht, or that you could only stay 90 or 180 days/yr, or that you have "too many" tourist visas - but, at the end of the day, they can't reject on any of that made-up claptrap, so they'd use the "they can't prove a negative" fallback, and claim to be omnipotent mind-readers, who know that "illegal work" is in the applicant's future.

I agree, although sometimes at land crossings they will deny entry and send someone back without following the formal denial procedure.

The point is. If someone is pushing their luck and trying to repeatedly enter as a 'tourist', showing baht must give a better chance of placating an IO than showing a foreign currency.

Regardless of what the rules say IO's are asking for, and expect to see, 10/20K in baht.

Agreed that if the IO is set on denying entry you're not getting in regardless, but IMO it's best not to make it harder for yourself and to show baht.

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

Of course it is!!

So if let's say that kid that got rejected, Cody, had some money. The one that flew from the US on visa exempt. Where in Wichita, Kansas would you recommend a good money changer for him to purchase some 20,000 Thai Baht. Because in my country (EU) i can use Thai Baht as toilet paper unless perhaps I go to the National Bank.

Edited by lkv

12 hours ago, lkv said:

So if let's say that kid that got rejected, Cody, had some money. The one that flew from the US on visa exempt. Where in Wichita, Kansas would you recommend a good money changer for him to purchase some 20,000 Thai Baht. Because in my country (EU) i can use Thai Baht as toilet paper unless perhaps I go to the National Bank.

There are currency-exchanges between the airplane and the Immigration booths.  No ATMs, though.  Much better to exchange currency there, than back the the USA, if you believe having Baht (vs dollars) will improve your odds when/if asked to show it.