20k cash just for tourists or Work Permit holders also?

Thanks, does anybody actually know the answer though? Seems lots of people guessing when it's to do with Thailand Visa info cause they make it so confusing! If you don't have it, do they let you goto an atm to withdraw at least?

5 minutes ago, pritch84 said:

Thanks, does anybody actually know the answer though?

I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer. You do not mention if you have a work permit. 

In my opinion you should have 20k cash available and if you have a WP that should also be available. -----

Edited by perthperson

Yes I have a work permit, well some reports at least would be great as it's not easy for me to get 20k for tomorrow as ive just spent a load and get paid in a weeks time so thats why im wondering also if they give you a chance to goto an atm at least as if push came to shove I could get it out but would incur some fees in the process! Cheers for all the advice btw! :D 

If you are coming in on a land border, if you are refused you are just still in the other country and you can go use an ATM or whatever you like in the other country, they don't detain you. I've been denied entry once before, you just go back to where the other country stamped you out and they will cancel the exit stamp. It's not a big deal. So land, refusal, go back to the other country and get the money, (maybe change it- depending on the border), come back, show it, in.

If you are coming in by air there have been reports that they will detain you and not allow you to go to an ATM (there aren't any before the immigration control).

So- if you are coming in by land, I don't think you have to worry too much, but if you are doing it by air I would take 20k out now before you go and have it with you when you come back.

You probably won't be asked either way but the point is, if you are, it is a MUCH bigger problem in the airport than at a land border, as denial of entry means you have to go back on a plane somewhere. So better be prepared for that case.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It's unlikely but possible. Any visa holder can be asked to show 20K.

Anything is possible, but I would say highly unlikely in the case of a nonB visa holder with a work permit.

The two most common reasons for denial of entry are :

- not having enough funds to support yourself - they could not use that for a person that works in Thailand it's ridiculous. "Well that's why I work and I have a work permit, to make money"

- entering Thailand to take employment. That one is clearly not applicable.

So requesting a non B visa holder with a work permit to show 20K of funds would be quite an idiotic thing to do.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

Personally, I always make sure I've got 20k in cash when I enter the country. I've got an extension of stay based on a non B and a work permit.

For those who work in the Kingdom carrying this amount of cash shouldn't be an issue at all. Frequent travellers will often also have dollars/euros/etc tucked away for emergency purposes.

I've never been asked to show the money when entering by air or land, but I don't like to waste time or take chances.

• Like 1

It just seems retarded, re-iterating what lkv said, if you are fully employed you obviously are in a career with a certain salary with a Thai company sponsoring you (on paper although most the time we are just paying for a bunch of shit we don't need) which should be enough. Ive got millions of baht worth of investment sitting here in Thailand including the car i'll drive myself there with but sometimes actual cash can get low between buying and getting paid when you're constantly investing your money. Anyway, i've decided it's not worth the stress so to just get it but i will try without and report back! 

Edited by pritch84

13 minutes ago, lkv said:

Too much drama and we need to look at the facts.

Out of the three reports circulating on this forum (four actually, last one was closed by a mod), one is to my belief genuine and three are made up by new users with a low number of posts, for the purpose of fear mongering connected to promoting paid visa options.

THANK YOU.  When I pointed this out on one of those threads (i.e. the fact that the OP had a low post count), I was mocked.  People here really do love to get their panties all in a bunch over obviously [to me] unsubstantiated rumors.

Edited by Chou Anou
  • Like 1

I flew into Don Mueang on Tuesday Evening after being out of the country only a few hours i have a Multiple entry Non B and work permit no questions asked i believe its mainly other visas that will be focused on but i always carry my wp when travelling just in case

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

A credit card says nothing at all, you could be maxed out. A debit card says nothing about the amount of money you have, you would need a bank statement. Much easier to check if you have cash. I think for people with a work permit it wouldn't be needed as they know you earn a minimum amount every month otherwise you wouldn't have the work permit.

The financial situation for the work permit only kicks in when applying for an extension of stay and that is part of the stipulations by immigration (not labour). If he has a work permit via a Non-B visa then minimum payable amount is not applicable, ie, it could be under 20,000 baht a month.

6 hours ago, lkv said:

So requesting a non B visa holder with a work permit to show 20K of funds would be quite an idiotic thing to do.

Surely you're not suggesting that means it never happens and will never happen?

I've re-entered Thailand dozens of times on a WP and never been asked to show funds.  But I carry emergency cash anyway.  Showing it at immigration is only one of many good reasons to keep a widely accepted currency when traveling internationally.  It has saved the day on several occasions.

Thanks, does anybody actually know the answer though? Seems lots of people guessing when it's to do with Thailand Visa info cause they make it so confusing! If you don't have it, do they let you goto an atm to withdraw at least?

Mate this is Thailand I doubt if IO officers even know. If I was you I would carry 20000 on you just in case. What harm can it do.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, lkv said:

Too much drama and we need to look at the facts.

Out of the three reports circulating on this forum (four actually, last one was closed by a mod), one is to my belief genuine and three are made up by new users with a low number of posts, for the purpose of fear mongering connected to promoting paid visa options.

The one I deem genuine involves a kid (Cody Allen Moberly) that:

- was 22 years old if I am not mistaken.

- flew over from the US on a 30 day visa exempt to come back to Thailand, having had a series of visa exempts before that probably triggered the system.

-was unable to produce 20K cash. Had no money whatsoever apparently. Not even 750 baht to afford 6 hours of detention, according to his friends raising money for him.

- was extremely likely to work, since after being refused entry, he was contemplating options on going to Laos and "getting work" to be able to afford his ticket back to the US, which he did not have, nor did he have any money to buy one. His Facebook friends set up a Paypal thing to raise money for a ticket.

Not very clear what he told Immigration when questioned, but I would not be surprised if being naive, he actually told them he is doing Muay Thai fights and getting paid money.

His appearance also did not do him any favours. Tatoos all over, not too sure what he was wearing.

There are multiple cases of people using visa exempt over and over again, and being told get a visa next time, just because the IO's first impression is they will be able to support themselves. And they are let in. And they are not asked about 20K.

This kid was unable to support himself, he was broke. Plain and simple. This is the reality of things.

To extrapolate that to nonB holders with a valid WP seems a stretch in my opinion. Even to extrapolate it to SETV users seems a stretch, since this kid was told, go and apply for a visa next time.

So the issue is most common at visa exempt level, not for visa holders of any type, and certainly not non B with a WP.

I think also the thread by Kohphanganlover was genuine, but he was clearly working in country with many tourist visa entries over the past 2 years.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

I think also the thread by Kohphanganlover was genuine, but he was clearly working in country with many tourist visa entries over the past 2 years.

I have seen no proof that he was working here. Please show the proof other than the denial of entry stamp he got.

• Like 1

OP mentions Multi Non B visa for the last 7 years? Is it actually a visa or is it an extension of stay?

I ask, because I suspect it makes a difference on the requirement.

Not saying that it would not be a good idea to carry 20,000 Baht with you through immigration, but I go through BKK airport quite frequently, the last time being last week and I have never been asked to show cash, mine is an extension of stay for working with a multiple re-entry permit.

The recent 'clampdown' seems to be more aimed at those on tourist visas or visa exempt entries that are frequent 'visitors' and youngish.

When I came through last Wednesday immigration was rammed and I can't say I saw anybody being asked to show cash or any red flashing lights to indicate a supervisor being called in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pritch84 said:

There's little point in even asking since whatever the "truth" is today could famously change tomorrow.  And then there's the inconsistency and caprice which are pretty much synonymous with the "discretion" we've all come to know and love in the first place...  

'Might as well just get yourself a special little "immo" wallet, put the cash in there and leave it - it doesn't have to be Thai baht - and then just always carry it with you travelling.   Some day the amount involved is bound to go up...

The sign posted above by ThailandYoda is quite old, but it most definitely identifies non-immigrant holders as being required to carry the cash.

Now as to whether having an extension of stay and a work permit trumps that, who really knows (and certainly no the immigration bod).

My personal opinion is that there has been some sort of (typically vague) instruction to enforce the 20k rule and various officers are effectively making it up as they go along.

My next trip out is likely in November (to Singapore), I will definitely be taking my work permit and have $600 US in my wallet (it's smaller than 20k Baht) when I return, if they don't ask my only loss is the exchange rate on the USD if I change it back.

• Like 1

Just in general.......I read so much on here about this 20 K requirement and am always left wondering......"what is all the fuss about".

If a person thinks they might need to show 20 K to whoever might ask to see it (in whatever currency) then why not just carry 20 K on one's person. 

I doubt people who are travelling don't have that amount of funds available to them?

Keep it simple.....Jack.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blorg said:

So- if you are coming in by land, I don't think you have to worry too much, but if you are doing it by air I would take 20k out now before you go and have it with you when you come back.

sure, doubtless you are right; the trouble is that you and i know this now but the clueless visitors do not; they are the ones that are going to be stung; this should be a lesson to all of us how a far right wing govt here can mess with immigration without warning and affect us all

5 minutes ago, Familyaffairs said:

I am in and out regularly, have a WP and one year multiple entry visa, never any questions asked. 

Same here, I do honestly believe that immigration are targeting those that they feel are either working illegally or staying here long term on tourist visas, rather than those here long term on extensions of stay, either working, married or retired etc. however, I am also with Crossy and see no harm in carrying the 20K THB or equivalent as security.

The reason I think that extensions / re-entry permits are less likely to scrutiny than ME visas (of any type) is that the extensions have been approved by immigration here in Thailand based upon certain criteria, as opposed to a ME visa which is approved by a consulate or an embassy, which makes the IO feel a bit more comfortable perhaps.