20k cash just for tourists or Work Permit holders also?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen no proof that he was working here. Please show the proof other than the denial of entry stamp he got.

Denial of entry with note 'working', many, many tourist visa entries and exits over 1,5-2 years, his own refusal to prove money withdrawals, etc.

All very clear. Proof, no, but very, very likely.

7 hours ago, inThailand said:

Question???

Do any other countries require one to show cash upon entry?

Has Thai immigration heard of banks, ATM cards, debit cards, credit cards, etc?

Nobody appears to have responded to your post so far. Whereas I'm sure many other countries do, I can confirm first hand, that the UK and Australian immigration people will require you to provide evidence that you can support yourself for the length of a planned tourist visit if they have reason to .

They are probably more flexible than the Thai BiB, but that's to be expected. However, failure to demonstrate the required funding will probably see you on the next plane home.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mosha said:

Well if it's in the paper now (tabloid) it must be true what they are saying, they surely have a good source of information (ThaiVisa).

8 hours ago, inThailand said:

Question???

Do any other countries require one to show cash upon entry?

Has Thai immigration heard of banks, ATM cards, debit cards, credit cards, etc?

Yes many..just do a google....

12 hours ago, blorg said:

If you are coming in on a land border, if you are refused you are just still in the other country

Actually by the time you reached Thai immigrations and been, hypothetically, refused entry, you would have been stamped out of the other country and need to get yourself readmitted, if possible.

11 hours ago, blackcab said:

Personally, I always make sure I've got 20k in cash when I enter the country. I've got an extension of stay based on a non B and a work permit.

For those who work in the Kingdom carrying this amount of cash shouldn't be an issue at all. Frequent travellers will often also have dollars/euros/etc tucked away for emergency purposes.

I've never been asked to show the money when entering by air or land, but I don't like to waste time or take chances.

Yes, it seems reasonable to just make sure you're carrying Baht 20,000 or the equivalent in a readily exchangeable currency.

Although there have been a few reports of people being turned away for not having the cash (among other reasons ), it would seem likely that thousands are still being admitted without being asked to show it. Easy enough to carry it with you if you're worried about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Denial of entry with note 'working', many, many tourist visa entries and exits over 1,5-2 years, his own refusal to prove money withdrawals, etc.

All very clear. Proof, no, but very, very likely.

Or the many entries could be explained by his Mauy Thai Boxing training/fighting.

Before last weeks fun and games at Sadao, 'the boss' said rules concerning funds or staying out for a night in Malaysia were only applicable to tourist visa holders. 

Which border are you going through? 

• Like 1

I didn't reads the entire thread....

but hey... you have a work permit.... you are not a tourist....

and need a re-entry permit... and there's a reason they call it a reentry permit... I hope!

at least, this is all of my understanding on this. 

this 20k thing is way over the top too exciting for some reason... so we figure it applies to all of us.... but it don't.     

Edited by maewang99

14 hours ago, pritch84 said:

Thanks, does anybody actually know the answer though? Seems lots of people guessing when it's to do with Thailand Visa info cause they make it so confusing! If you don't have it, do they let you goto an atm to withdraw at least?

I thought the rule  for individuals is 10, 000 but I was asked at land crossing Pedang Besar  2 weeks ago to  show 20, 000 . I have a  O (RETIREMENT) visa with multi entry. I didn't have it, but did have my book with 90,000 showing but not updated that day.  The IO  suggested I enter the country WITHOUT a stamp to go and update my book. I refused, and would strongly suggest no one   else do so. He also gave me grief about leaving and coming in the same day- none of which SHOULD pertain to me.

He backed off completely when I made noises about calling Bangkok. 

14 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Before last weeks fun and games at Sadao, 'the boss' said rules concerning funds or staying out for a night in Malaysia were only applicable to tourist visa holders. 

Which border are you going through? 

I think folks flying into Thailand or not subjected to the same shearing as ones trying to do land  border crossings- esp from Malaysia.  I've crossed both  Sadao and Pedang Besar  many times and it's always a hassle one way or the other- usually having to go to "special service " counter. One is expected to have 200 baht in the passport.  

A visa agent in Penang has just yesterday posted on his FB page no more of the 200 baht EZ  Entry  though, 20,000 will be enforced.  He has not responded yet to whether applies to only Tourist visa but as post above I can attest I was hassled at PB on an O retirement 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was in the news. They got nailed for wanting tea money to enter the country.

Thanks !   I did see that. The terms in which the post I responded to was written made me imagine Sadao were refusing entry to hundreds of people ! 

28 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

I thought the rule  for individuals is 10, 000 but I was asked at land crossing Pedang Besar  2 weeks ago to  show 20, 000 . I have a  O (RETIREMENT) visa with multi entry. I didn't have it, but did have my book with 90,000 showing but not updated that day.  The IO  suggested I enter the country WITHOUT a stamp to go and update my book. I refused, and would strongly suggest no one   else do so. He also gave me grief about leaving and coming in the same day- none of which SHOULD pertain to me.

He backed off completely when I made noises about calling Bangkok. 

20K with a visa.  10K for a visa-exempt.  As you have an extension of stay, with financials already verified by Immigration themselves (not the MFA), this requirement should not apply.  

There is no "no same day" rule for anyone - but they are known to "enforce" their made-up rule on those getting new Visa-Exempt entries.  

I am glad you were able to fix things without a "go get-money" run-around.  I suspect the first person you were dealing with didn't understand your type of permission-of-stay, and the next guys started to back him up, only to realize they were in the wrong.

To the OP: Carry the 20'000 on you to be on the safe side.

I need a new entry stamp for my non-B visa next week, and the visa service I always use demands everybody to have the cash these days. 3 months ago a copy of the bank book was still enough.

Bring the amount in dollar euro pounds they are ok with that ell then u must change at  in the bank

be very polite  explain u will change straight away and no time before to get thai baht   normaly not a problem immergration are not the devil just doing what they are told 

1 minute ago, mikecha said:

Bring the amount in dollar euro pounds they are ok with that ell then u must change at  in the bank

be very polite  explain u will change straight away and no time before to get thai baht   normaly not a problem immergration are not the devil just doing what they are told 

Baht are NOT required.

ANY convertible currency equivalent to 20K Baht is acceptable and it does not need to be changed "straight away"