CMU Demonstration school

Yggdrasil

Does anyone have any information about Satit M.C. - the 'demonstration school' of Chiangmai University?

My adopted thai son who will soon be 12 years old and is keen to try the enterance exam though we know it's very hard to get in. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I've taught some of the students in SAT test prep classes.  In general I'd say they have English and academic skills at least as good as the average international school student.  If the CMU demo school is free that makes it a heck of a bargain.  Of course better than average students could be the result of higher than average entrance standards.

That's all I've got.  I don't know what the curriculum is like and couldn't locate the school on a map.

A very good option if he can get in.

The competition is ferocious - you'll have to work hard to coach your son and get him to take it as seriously as it deserves.

Edited by Greenside
Afterthought...

A German friend had his daughter attend and she won a scholarship to a Japan university from there.

Young lad living next door to me attended and is now on an internship with a computer company in CM.

Satit school is highly regarded.

john

I live close by.  Very well behaved bunch.  A great choice.  Bad news is that is was reported here that it takes about 120K to get a seat.  It is a boarding school for some, others live close by, and the rest commute.  It can be a big log jam up here,  especially with CMU.  Just plan for it.

Yupparaj is OK, too, but not as highly regarded.  

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

On 7/21/2017 at 0:59 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I live close by.  Very well behaved bunch.  A great choice.  Bad news is that is was reported here that it takes about 120K to get a seat.  It is a boarding school for some, others live close by, and the rest commute.  It can be a big log jam up here,  especially with CMU.  Just plan for it.

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind comments!

On 7/20/2017 at 1:38 PM, Greenside said:

A very good option if he can get in.

The competition is ferocious - you'll have to work hard to coach your son and get him to take it as seriously as it deserves.

Thanks - and yes we know that the competition is very tough. Last year in November nearly 4.000 6th-graders gathered at various buildings at the university campus for a full day of tests. This entrance exam would determine who would get one of the abt 200 places at Matayom 1, first year. So we are working hard and your response will help to further motivate him. Thanks very much!

On 7/20/2017 at 1:43 PM, jonwilly said:

A German friend had his daughter attend and she won a scholarship to a Japan university from there.

Young lad living next door to me attended and is now on an internship with a computer company in CM.

Satit school is highly regarded.

john

Very motivating! Thanks for your comment, I will share it with my son!

On 7/20/2017 at 1:36 PM, heybruce said:

I've taught some of the students in SAT test prep classes.  In general I'd say they have English and academic skills at least as good as the average international school student.  If the CMU demo school is free that makes it a heck of a bargain.  Of course better than average students could be the result of higher than average entrance standards.

That's all I've got.  I don't know what the curriculum is like and couldn't locate the school on a map.

Good to hear your observations. I believe the school fees are very low, perhaps free? However, I seem to remember a comment a couple of years ago that the school expects 'tea-money' though I don't know if that is correct.

Thanks for you input!

On 7/21/2017 at 0:59 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Thanks for your positive info. Yes, I also remember a reference to an 'unofficial' payment being required but I find it a bit doubtful which is one of the reasons for asking members of this forum for info on that school.

I think priority goes to those with parents who work at CMU or Suan Dokh. Not sure on that one, but thinking about it, the relations of my husband who attended this school all had parents who worked at one of those 2 places.