Finally Ran Out Of Excuses Of Why I Can't Go.

Griffin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good point, well made, Bina.

I have been known to drink to relax, and, on occasions, I have become so relaxed I have been found missing a shoe at a distant train station. So, naturally, I promised to lay off when I visit the family.

I wouldn't want to attract disdain or lack of respect.

So I will try your 'passing the hot-potato' trick.

As someone once said "retrospection is always 20-20". I am sure if I had visited as I was before starting this post, I would have made a million errors. I am sure I would have plutoed myself in the eyes of her family and therefore in the eyes of my better half.

I have the measure of Thai adults, but what about the kids I am sure to meet.

Her nieces usually stay with us when they visit Bangkok as they are made welcome (as long as comics are left at home) to stay, eat, read, learn and generally enjoy a home that must seem like the lunar rover compared to their own house.

As we all know Thais gossip and I am sure that the kids must told their friends about staying with us. I have no grand aspirations to raise the IQ of the entire village, but I would still like to plant the seed that learning is a good thing.

So, how do I treat the kids in the village. What do they need? What do they expect? What have they been told about farangs?

Once again, your comments are very welcome.

Griff.

Second attempt to reply... :o

Griff, don't bother too much about education, you're only there for 5 days, so relax, smile and enjoy. The kids love a smiling farang, they will talk/gossip about you and they will feel fine. Colouring books are great, so are sound games. I bought one for my daughters (4 and 6) that give pronounciation of english words. There are 3 programs and they love it. Of course I have to speak first, then they will follow, slowly learning the first english words. Let the fun factor prevale above the learning factor, but I'm sure you will...

Drinking. My trick is to fill my glass with as much ice as possible, preventing a lot of Sang som going into it (or other vitamine shots :D ). This way I drink very diluted, still socially accepted, no headache, no face lost. I agree you should not pass the line, very embarrasing for your sweet wife.

Take care

joe

I have just read every posting on this thread and each one brought a smile to my face. I have one experience of the North East and it was exactly as described many times in this forum.

I called my g/f from Iraq today. She was in the Korat area shopping with her mum. She has recently told them about me so i had to say "Sawadee Krap Khun Mae" down the line. After the call i got busy arranging a visit to meet her family on my next rotation out of this hel_l hole. i called her again later and i could hear the chaos of children in the background and the food being prepared. My only thought was how i missed Thailand. After living there for the past 4 years, coming away just to earn cash was a necessary evil.

On days like these i am reminded how lucky and blessed i am to have the opportunity to live in Paradise. How unfortunate and ironic i have to work in hel_l to live there.

NB The Issan threads seem so polite and position compared to most of the others. The tourist centred ones seem to bring out the worst in all folk.

""""(:o@

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys, I will be going to a small village outside of SiSaKet next month, I'm glad I found this thread first. My TG ent me some photos of her Mama and Papa's home and din, I asked many questions and my TG gave me the answers, do you have hot water heater(no) I buy hot water heater, Mama and Papa sitting on floor, no sofa or chairs, guess what? I buy sofa and chairs, my TG has her own bedroom and yes she has a new bed, and Papa built her a complete wall and a door was installed, a lot of these homes have curtains as the only privacy barrier.

TG husband was killed last year, motorbike accident, she has 2 beautiful daughters 3-4 years old, I am really looking forward to my first visit to meet her family, my only set back is the hot Thai food, I love fish, pork and chicken, however what I have going for me is my TG does all the cooking, and she told me not to worry, she would take care of me. I call her everyday 3-4 times when it's not raining cats and dogs, I speak with Mama and I speak with her daughters on the phone, I am learning Thai a little at a time, which will for sure be a plus. I plan on having fun, as in for getting married, sometime next year. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see this thread has lasted and been of interest, I was going to PM the OP for an update on his trip as this must have been a few weeks ago. However looking at his profile page he appears to be banned? And not online since Jan - is this the case? What happened?

Howdy,

In my wife's village the roosters crow all night, but the best part is the Monks talking on the load speakers each morning right before sunrise.... I do miss it :o . Take it all in, I love to watch the herds of cattle walking down the village streets each day. :D I like to take small gifts for the kids like balloons, blowing bubbles and glow sticks stuff like that. Seems to me the kids in her village are always interested in hanging around when a farang is in town.

Chung *j*

Vegemite is a marvelous product. :D Make sure you take some, it helps with communication about food.

"I eat Vegemite, you eat durian/bugs/fermented fish .... . OK?" :o

This only works if they don't like Vegemite, if they do, take them direct to the Aussie Embassy for special visa.

God Bless the Aussies, the are the only ones on the planet that could make a sandwich out of beer, which is what Vegemite tastes like

fermented yeast, grains, hmmmmmm sounds like beer mash to me..............Yoi Yoi Yoi have another, I'll stick with my Spam..........Cheers

TC

The last time my wife and me returned to her village, i took a few boxes of pencils, crayons, rubbers (erasers) a dozen wall charts,(world map, Great Britain,ABC, 123, Animals etc ) a huge box of baloons and some other stuff.

We went to the local school where two of her children were being taught, and handed it all over. They were so grateful. I was maybe expecting a small thankyou. I was overwhelmed by the response, they were really pleased with the gifts. We were treated like royalty, and were guests of honour at the schools childrens day party.

Happy days.

Regards

Jaiyenyen