Heavy rain causes mayhem for Pattaya roads

webfact

Heavy rain causes mayhem for Pattaya roads

By Online Admin -

rain.jpg?resize=630,420

PATTAYA: -- If you are currently here enjoying your time in Pattaya, unless you have been living under a rock, or recovering from the previous day/nights hangover in bed, you will have noticed we had quite a bit of rain last night, July 19th.

It is well and truly the rainy season now and last nights storm caused absolute chaos on the roads. Some of the worst affected areas included the Sukhumvit Road stretching from Central to South Pattaya, 3rd Road, and Khao Talo, where water levels reached up to 50cm in some places.

Pattaya’s drainage system, or lack of it, came under heavy fire and carried on it’s consistency, to put it nicely, from previous heavy downpours.

Traffic build up was nothing short of a nightmare in some places, especially the Sukhumvit, as you can see from some of our pics.

No fewer than 20 cars were reportedly rescued from the main roads after breaking down, or getting stuck in waters too deep to move in. I dare say there were many more too.

Emergency services were on hand for most of the night, but did struggle getting round themselves with the traffic and water causing difficulties.

Reports suggest that we are through the worst of it, but i’m sure there will be more storms like this before this year’s rainy season is over.

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2017-07-20

Was it ever this bad in the 90's? The rain isn't worse than it was back then.

To be expected when they are concreting everything in sight, and not putting in sufficient infrastructure to cope with the extra water.

Actually a self inflicted injury, because Thais won't spend the money needed, won't get the job done properly, won't do maintenance, and won't do anything about it when it does all go wrong.

Beach Rd floods after the road widening destroyed the existing drainage system, which worked before, but rather than remedy the situation at the contractor's expense, they just put in place big pumps.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Was it ever this bad in the 90's? The rain isn't worse than it was back then.

I recall some time in the 1980's Beach road washing out completely at Pattayaland 1 and 2 due to the flood flow down both of those streets to the sea. Turned the bars that fronted that short strip into an island. I think it happened twice.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I recall some time in the 1980's Beach road washing out completely at Pattayaland 1 and 2 due to the flood flow down both of those streets to the sea. Turned the bars that fronted that short strip into an island. I think it happened twice.

That's no doubt true, but in the early 90s they installed large water drainage pipes under Beach Rd which apparently worked, as I don't recall bad flooding till the road was widened and obviously the outlets to the large drain pipes were blocked off.

Took them 3 goes to put big enough pipes in, but that's nothing new in LOS.

Rain in Pattaya and the roads flood.:huh:  I am soooo shocked.  How could this happen??? :unsure: They are better than this.  Where is the military to come take charge and fix it?  Where is this water going to go?  Where is.....where is....  Where's my damm beer???:burp:  Sorry, got lost in a day dream.  Rain in Patts...roads flood.  Nothing new here.  :coffee1: