Activist questions constitutionality of govt’s purchases of submarines, trainer jets

webfact

Activist questions constitutionality of govt’s purchases of submarines, trainer jets

By Thai PBS

20156148_696539437137538_474980404560207

BANGKOK: -- Srisuwan Janya, secretary-general of the Association for the Protection of the Constitution, on Thursday (July 20) filed a petition with the Constitutional Court, asking it to rule on the constitutionality of the government’s purchases of three submarines worth 36 billion baht from China and eight T-50 trainer jets from South Korea.

Mr Srisuwan, a political activist, said he doubted whether the purchases contravened or contradicted with Sections 52, 54, 55, 56 and 62 of the constitution.

He said the government should not cite national security to justify the purchases but overlook the economic problems endured by the people.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/activist-questions-constitutionality-govts-purchases-submarines-trainer-jets/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-21

Whatever, whoever did, will be wrong, somewhere, buried in the 4,000 page "constitution".

Do they even HAVE a constitution in effect? I've lost track.

I keep hearing about a "draft charter". I'm confused.

Edited by jaywalker

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said the government should not cite national security to justify the purchases but overlook the economic problems endured by the people.

tragicomical; this guy doesnt get it; he doesnt know we are in a MILITARY DICTATORSHIP

Boys need toys. No constitution can change that. The average depth of the gulf is 48 meters. NOT the waters to operate subs in. But the boats are essential to protect the Kingdom against evil empires. As once was that carrier that never had planes. And then there will be the ever present brown envelopes. 

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

a fine idea that is often overlooked or suspended for various reasons throughout history in many countries

Given his comments on turning crooks into innovators, combining a refrigerator with a rice cooker etc...

He probably thinks all subs look like this & he just bought 8 billion baht of them.

subway_club_small-1024x476.jpg

And people think Trump is dumb?

Edited by jaywalker

To me this is just an example of 'Thainess'.

Ch-o-ch wants the world, and the Thai people, to acknowledge that Thailand is a big player both regionally and Internationally. Now Thailand can boast subs!!! Doesn't matter if they fit the shoe or not; it's all about show!!

Wasn't it Ch-o-ch that said a couple of years ago "The military hold a special place in Thai people's hearts."? He might really believe it!

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

Whatever, whoever did, will be wrong, somewhere, buried in the 4,000 page "constitution".

Do they even HAVE a constitution in effect? I've lost track.

I keep hearing about a "draft charter". I'm confused.

We're in a 'tragic comedy'.

This is the magic of Thailand.

Someone with a household income of 480k per annum can spend 700k on a car for the wife, 1400k on a car for himself, 20k per month on a house for the family, 20k for housekeeping, 60,000k for a boat, 23000k for a Ferrari...

They can rewrite rules to give themselves unlimited power. They can employ the rule they need and ignore the rest. Focus on the rule, not the overall picture here...

There is no 'military dictatorship'. If you don't understand, it's your attitude that's wrong.

20 minutes ago, wombat said:

its my understanding that the Gulf of Thailand is to shallow for subs .......is this true or false ?

too late to worry about that now as they already built the submarine bases several years ago.  rather than admit it was a mistake they decided to go ahead and buy some subs. i am guessing they will end up the same as the air craft carrier which does not leave port so depth of water is irrelevant.

23 minutes ago, wombat said:

its my understanding that the Gulf of Thailand is to shallow for subs .......is this true or false ?

Average depth is 190 meters (600 feet or so) according to Wikipedia, which means they "might" be able to elude a destroyer.

On the surface a WW2 P-51 could sink them. NO WAY they could stay under long enough to be anything other than a minor nuisance to a modern navy. They are diesel electric = they have to surface to run diesel engines to power battery banks, so they can stay under for 12-14 hours....At least that was WW2 Technology.

Modern radar could spot them quite easily on the surface, daylight or dark.

An F-16 could blast them to kingdom-come.

Unless Laos or Cambodia or a new Ho Chi Minh (who actually wasn't the evil guy) arise like Hitler did, then they are just a waste of money to line some admiral's pockets.

The RTA has to keep the RTN appeased is all I can see here.

38 minutes ago, wombat said:

This is an interesting point. Perhaps the subs are intended to patrol International waters. Would the US allow them to do so? Or China even!

I've a feeling that it's just to impress (post 10).

40 minutes ago, wombat said:

They'll be painting them blue to hide them from paragliders.

Submarine.jpg

Average depth is 190 meters (600 feet or so) according to Wikipedia, which means they "might" be able to elude a destroyer.

On the surface a WW2 P-51 could sink them. NO WAY they could stay under long enough to be anything other than a minor nuisance to a modern navy. They are diesel electric = they have to surface to run diesel engines to power battery banks, so they can stay under for 12-14 hours....At least that was WW2 Technology.

Modern radar could spot them quite easily on the surface, daylight or dark.

An F-16 could blast them to kingdom-come.

Unless Laos or Cambodia or a new Ho Chi Minh (who actually wasn't the evil guy) arise like Hitler did, then they are just a waste of money to line some admiral's pockets.

The RTA has to keep the RTN appeased is all I can see here.

I think modern diesel electric submarines can remain submerged for a bit longer...
They're still pretty useless in he gulf though.

Some good points raised about the value of the submarines, however pilots need to be trained in something. Mind you Thailand is in the minor league when it comes to wasteful military spending and drumming up non existent threats to justify it. Be thankful I suppose they don't have a local arms industry to enrich whilst impoverishing the rest of the nation into unsupportable debt.

2 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Be thankful I suppose they don't have a local arms industry to enrich whilst impoverishing the rest of the nation into unsupportable debt.

Ooooh, but they do.

They have 30-40 year old trucks that the have to buy parts for all the time.

I was involved in this as a consultant. Safety/Schmafety!

Trucks falling apart but it depended on which Thai agent would/could afford to pay off the colonels & generals to get the contract.

I have SEEN, with my own two eyes...brown envelopes changing hands.

For that kind of money you could solve the enormous pollution problem that slowly is going to destroy the tourism industry. When the tourists are gone where is the money going to come from then,how are you going to pay for your expensive toys.

In case you haven't noticed it excrements have turned the water black at one of your biggest tourist destinations. Ask yourself what the tourists who are walking through the human waste are thinking and what they will tell their friends and families back home.

Do you really need more military equipment. Are you missing the opportunity to do some good for the entire country?