Packs of dogs damaging tourism in Ao Lak - but they only bite western visitors

webfact

I have a son with autism who always gets nervous around soi dogs and they react to that nervousness with extreme aggression.   We have been surrounded by the local pack of about 5 dogs several times.  It can be quite scary but they are usually only aggressive at night.  If I walk to the nearest 7-11 at night I bring along my police baton every time.  I will never take a step forward, always a step back, but if any one or all five get in the 21" range, they will know they ain't alpha on my soi.   Like a poster above, I cannot comprehend the attitudes of the local Thais who think it is amusing whenever I get surrounded. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

Don't think so. Some Thai people considered them a money makers.

My Thai f.i.l,. While on his motor bike, hit and killed a feral soi dog. Half an hour later, a Thai bully came and demanded 500bht, claiming the dog was his prized possession. Since then I 'be heard of similar instances.

Prized possession @ 500 baht? You got off light!

On 7/20/2017 at 10:04 PM, NCC1701A said:

dogs can tell if you are fearful and become more aggressive.

i have been in Thailand three years and have never had a single problem with soi dogs because I don't do anything aggressive. and they remember you and respond accordingly.

and after feeding the soi dogs on my street some hotdogs they love me now. The Thais are amazed as the dogs run to me with tails wagging. I know this run contrary to expats thinking who hate soi dogs. And if you think the dogs don't know you hate them or fear them, even at a distance, you are wrong.

Thank you, dog whisperer?

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:23 PM, sambum said:

Don't talk wet, man! Are you saying that the thousands of people that have lost the use of one of their legs due to disease or war wounds are all over the age of 40 and look strange?

I have not lost the use of one of my legs to disease or war wounds.  It would look strange for someone to be walking around with a stick in public places every day who is perfectly healthy.  Also how can I carry a stick around when I am cycling?  I need both hands on the handle bars. I also need both hands to carry my shopping and don't want to also juggle with a long sick.

Just now, jak2002003 said:

I have not lost the use of one of my legs to disease or war wounds.  It would look strange for someone to be walking around with a stick in public places every day who is perfectly healthy.  Also how can I carry a stick around when I am cycling?  I need both hands on the handle bars. I also need both hands to carry my shopping and don't want to also juggle with a long sick.

I didn't say you had, just that it wouldn't look strange - how are people to know you are perfectly healthy,  or maybe got something as trivial as a twisted ankle?

You could strap the stick to the crossbar, and it doesn't have to be a long stick - a short hefty one that would fit into your carrier bags with your shopping would suffice.

Anyway, as they say here - "up to you"! Fortunately (up to now) I don't have any trouble with aggressive dogs - as i said earlier in my neck of the woods they seem to concentrate on barking/harassing Thais. However, if they did become a problem for me, I wouldn't think twice about carrying  a stick or a pocket full of stones!

Couple of questions. Is pepper spray readily available there?

And why not try to catch the attack on video?  I realize that is easier said than done. Who thinks of that when rows of teeth are aimed at your lower body. When I moved from a Florida city to the country, in a state I never lived in, my neighbor let his pit bull out after me when I was walking. Of course he tried to act as if the dog got away from him (passive aggressively). I just happened to have my 5 iron with me. Let's just say that won't happen again.

Seems like whenever I come on this forum there is a new way farangs are being set upon.

Get one of those batons, the telescopic ones, flick it out when you need it, slides back to about 25cm when closed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/23/2017 at 7:17 PM, XBroker said:

Couple of questions. Is pepper spray readily available there?

Pepper spray is generally available, but not so easy to find.  Probably because it's illegal.

In fact, Thailand is the only place I've ever lived where you can buy something in the wide open and light of day, then be arrested for possessing it 20 meters away.   Other places offer dodgy stuff for sale, but they use little bit of discretion.

On 21/07/2017 at 9:04 AM, NCC1701A said:

dogs can tell if you are fearful and become more aggressive.

i have been in Thailand three years and have never had a single problem with soi dogs because I don't do anything aggressive. and they remember you and respond accordingly.

and after feeding the soi dogs on my street some hotdogs they love me now. The Thais are amazed as the dogs run to me with tails wagging. I know this run contrary to expats thinking who hate soi dogs. And if you think the dogs don't know you hate them or fear them, even at a distance, you are wrong.

... these dogs are not Soi Dogs, ( well every kind of idiot seems to want to call them that ), they are stray dogs, that will eventually go part wild. 

Feeding them however kind it is will not solve the problem, it will only make it worse. Probably best to take one or two into your home and treat it as a pet dog should be treated. That goes for all the other idiots who feed them also. 

Edited by mindfulness