What bizarre things have happened to you in Thailand?

Bangkok Barry

One thing that stands out in my mind is that I went into a shop to buy the Bangkok Post but he had only the previous day's issue on display. I asked if he had today's and he said he had, but he wasn't selling it as he hadn't sold out of yesterday's yet.

This could run and run.......................... :smile:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bizarrely I still come across farang who don't bi_ch and moan constantly about everything in Thailand in a display of compulsive public onanism. It's bizarrely reassuring to know that not every farang finds relentless Thai bashing to be the only way to relieve stress and bolster their low self-esteem.

I have had a number of aquaintances that died, that I came to know since coming to Thailand. 

Within the last 6 months I disvovered that two people that I would consider "friends" have died. Unfortunately, I didn' t hear about their deaths till about 2 days after they were creamated. These two deaths have had an affect on me that has forced me to question things I never guessed I would.ever do. 

I suppose what I'm saying is.....I was left wondering "why did they not give me the chance to say goodbye to them".(they knew they were dying)..." did our friendship mean anything at all"?

I'm aware people may not wish to be seen by their friends in their dying state....I don't even know what I would want.

There seems to be a special "identifacition" between friends living away from home that one might not feel amoung friends at home.

Confusion about these matters seems to have set in.....I have never experienced this back home even though I have had more fruends die there than here.

Take Care All

25 years ago my wife was in the hospital having given birth to our daughter, and my (5 yr old) son and I were on our way home to Lad Phrao on the bus in the late evening, after visiting the hospital.  The (red) bus had little or no brakes but the driver was taking it slow, using his gears to slow down.  But we unfortunately ran into the back of a truck at the Ratchada / Lad Phrao lights - just a bit of a tap really, no damage done.  But it was election time, and wouldn't you know the flat-bed truck had a bunch of campaigners on the back, I think with loudspeakers and musical instruments - noise makers. 

- we tapped the back of the truck. 

- most of the campaigners fell over, no injuries

- the bus stalled

- the battery was flat  

So a lot of Thai hubbub went on, with many smiles and laughs.  End result was, all the passengers were ushered off the bus (it was far from full). Again much smiling and laughing.  And us and some of the campaigners push-started the bus right there on Ratchada.  I'm still not sure I wasn't dreaming.  :tongue:

In the mean time while standing aside my son had put his foot down the crack between drain-cover slabs and lost a shoe, so he was upset and worrying about his damn shoe.  And the bus is revving and getting ready to leave.  I decided then I'd had enough brakeless bus for me and my son, we were only 1km or so from home and I could piggy-back him the rest of the way.  Would the Khon Thai allow that?  No farking way - many gestures and calls and smiles and laughs, and we were eventually urged back onto the bus.   To crawl the final km or so home using the gears to slow down... 

This could have happened in many developing countries where there would be shouting and anger, a frightening situation.  In Thailand it's smiles and laughter.  That's what makes the place special.  

Had a drunk guy on a motorcycle t-bone me on a main street, he was riding out a soi. There was considerable damage to my passenger side door - it would not close either. His motorcycle was fairly old Honda Dream and lay in a pile. He had no helmet and was so drunk he could not speak or get up. Police were there and we checked the guy out to see if he needed hospital. No. He was not injured. 

I asked the police about his paying for to fix the car and he paused. Looked at the guy on the road. I said "he is drunk!" and he hit me, clearly he is at fault. 

The policeman said "you explain to me how you are going to get money from a drunk?" 

I thought about it and now, years later, realize the wisdom. 

36 minutes ago, moojar said:

25 years ago my wife was in the hospital having given birth to our daughter, and my (5 yr old) son and I were on our way home to Lad Phrao on the bus in the late evening, after visiting the hospital.  The (red) bus had little or no brakes but the driver was taking it slow, using his gears to slow down.  But we unfortunately ran into the back of a truck at the Ratchada / Lad Phrao lights - just a bit of a tap really, no damage done.  But it was election time, and wouldn't you know the flat-bed truck had a bunch of campaigners on the back, I think with loudspeakers and musical instruments - noise makers. 

- we tapped the back of the truck. 

- most of the campaigners fell over, no injuries

- the bus stalled

- the battery was flat  

So a lot of Thai hubbub went on, with many smiles and laughs.  End result was, all the passengers were ushered off the bus (it was far from full). Again much smiling and laughing.  And us and some of the campaigners push-started the bus right there on Ratchada.  I'm still not sure I wasn't dreaming.  :tongue:

In the mean time while standing aside my son had put his foot down the crack between drain-cover slabs and lost a shoe, so he was upset and worrying about his damn shoe.  And the bus is revving and getting ready to leave.  I decided then I'd had enough brakeless bus for me and my son, we were only 1km or so from home and I could piggy-back him the rest of the way.  Would the Khon Thai allow that?  No farking way - many gestures and calls and smiles and laughs, and we were eventually urged back onto the bus.   To crawl the final km or so home using the gears to slow down... 

This could have happened in many developing countries where there would be shouting and anger, a frightening situation.  In Thailand it's smiles and laughter.  That's what makes the place special.  

wouldn't happen today........there would be gunfire or slashing with knives when that bus driver knocked em down

When I first came here, the condo I was renting in had a beehive infestation on one of the unoccupied balconies - nineteen floors up. Management decided the bees had to go.

So two supreme optimists were there - one hacking the rather large beehive into football-size lumps, the other 19 floors below trying to catch the lumps with a single bed blanket.

The car park was quite a mess for days afterwards.

Got knocked on my ass by a motorbike whilst standing on the sidewalk! Now for the bizarre part...:vampire:

...two Thai guys (total strangers) helped me up, then proceeded to literally kick the biker's ass! He had fallen off and was still down when both guys took turns kicking him. Gave real meaning to kicking a guy when he's down! Wanted to take a turn myself(!), but thought better of it and just let "my heavies" administer some much deserved street justice. After I got a wai and an apology, continued on my way to Beer Garden with a sore butt, bleeding hand and a big smile on my face! 

No longer feel the same, but the most bizzare thing when i arrived here a long time ago was to see many very elderly farangs married to very young rural farm or factory workers. Age, religion, food, culture nothing in common. Could not speak a few words of each other's language. Yet claimed to completely understand and love each other, it was honestly not for any other reason.

12 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Got knocked on my ass by a motorbike whilst standing on the sidewalk! Now for the bizarre part...:vampire:

...two Thai guys (total strangers) helped me up, then proceeded to literally kick the biker's ass! He had fallen off and was still down when both guys took turns kicking him. Gave real meaning to kicking a guy when he's down! Wanted to take a turn myself(!), but thought better of it and just let "my heavies" administer some much deserved street justice. After I got a wai and an apology, continued on my way to Beer Garden with a sore butt, bleeding hand and a big smile on my face! 

Similar story.  I was sat drinking quite late one evening with the motorbike taxi guys on my soi when a much older and obviously drunk farang came wandering past, then a bit later (10 minutes or so) he wandered past in the other direction.... another 10 minutes and he came back, but this time he stopped in front of me (I was sat on a stool with my back to the street) and without warning kicked me off my seat and into the street.  

Before I had picked myself up 2 motorbikes guys had rushed to help me off the floor and the rest of them (5 or 6) had grabbed the old dude and were giving him a beating.   I had to stop one of them from braining the old fool with a large empty Leo bottle!

The old guy must have been in his 60's.    Not sure what his issue was with me, but he clearly didn't like seeing me having fun with a group of Thais.

Years ago, I was renting an apartment around On Nut (Sukhumvit soi 81). Basic but comfortable little place with aircon and fridge for 3,500 a month. I knew the building had a laundry service, but I had never used it, instead doing all my own washing by hand.  I was going to a conference in the US for several days and thought I would take the opportunity to have them wash all my towels and get them really clean for a change, haha.  So I dropped the towels off--several were still wet--and said I needed them in about 4 days.  When I got back from my conference, 5 days later, I went to the laundry to pick them up...they hadn't washed them yet, and in fact they were in a pile together on the floor, still wet (and quite moldy at this point).  The laundry guy said, "oh, you said you didn't need them for a while..."  :saai:

I came into the office and we had an aquarium at the reception. Nobody took care, water was green filter clogged, fish not happy...
So before going to lunch I told our staff to clean the aquarium very well. when I came back they were just removing the last stones from the bottom, glass was clean and fish flushed through the toilet..one of my first "ooh soooo sorry sir" misunderstandings.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Any body who had done anything with builders or tradesmen here will be able to give you several chapters for your book.   Pouring all concrete on sand or straight onto grass for one instead of onto some form of hard fill like back home.  Diluting concrete alkali resisting primer 200% when the directions say 15%.  Every Thai wheelbarrow is an invention of the devil.  They fall over every time you use them.  Even 1kg not exactly centred will make them tip over.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Driving Bkk To  Hua  Hin saw massive 3-4foot long x 2foot square    steel mesh  crate in the road with a Police  car heading straight for it in the  middle lane................expected Police car to stop and remove it off the carriageway before it  killed someone..........nope they slammed on brakes swerved round it and  carried  on regardless..............it was one of the highway patrol cars...............learnt a lot from that

8 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Bizarrely I still come across farang who don't bi_ch and moan constantly about everything in Thailand in a display of compulsive public onanism. It's bizarrely reassuring to know that not every farang finds relentless Thai bashing to be the only way to relieve stress and bolster their low self-esteem.

He just got here, huh?

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

Any body who had done anything with builders or tradesmen here will be able to give you several chapters for your book.   Pouring all concrete on sand or straight onto grass for one instead of onto some form of hard fill like back home.  Diluting concrete alkali resisting primer 200% when the directions say 15%.  Every Thai wheelbarrow is an invention of the devil.  They fall over every time you use them.  Even 1kg not exactly centred will make them tip over.

I had some builders in and they painted some doors with glass in them. They got lots of paint on the glass and tried to clean it off with sandpaper. The foreman said they'd replace the glass but well, you know..... Some of the builders were family so my wife was unable to complain without causing huge loss of face and WW#.

35 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I had some builders in and they painted some doors with glass in them. They got lots of paint on the glass and tried to clean it off with sandpaper. The foreman said they'd replace the glass but well, you know..... Some of the builders were family so my wife was unable to complain without causing huge loss of face and WW#.

It's so easy to remove paint from glass with a razor blade that I don't even bother taping off before painting.