Getting a Thai visa and work permit with a criminal record

A good friend from back home is in Bangkok negotiating with a Thai company for a job. He has two misdemeanor convictions, having pled "no contest " over 20 years ago. He wants to know if this means he cannot legally work in Thailand, cannot get a Thai visa and work permit? And can he get in trouble with the authorities if they find out he has a record? The two offenses involved a firearm.

I dont think it will bode well for him if he lies and is caught.

Thai authorities tend to really like confessions , after which they are remarkably lenient.

Twice will,  IMO,  indicate he didnt learn from his mistakes.

If the job needs a  proper security clearance I have doubts...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, soistalker said:

He has two misdemeanor convictions, having pled "no contest "

Misdemeanor's are not considered to be a "criminality" they are legally considered to be infractions,  so any record of them would not show up on a criminal records check

3 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

I dont think it will bode well for him if he lies and is caught.

Thai authorities tend to really like confessions , after which they are remarkably lenient.

Twice will,  IMO,  indicate he didnt learn from his mistakes.

If the job needs a  proper security clearance I have doubts...

Neither for the visa nor for the work permit does the application process ask about a criminal record, except as has been said if the work permit would be for teaching, something that is not intimated in the OP.

Unless the employer wants the background check it will not be needed at immigration.

At nearby embassies they don't require the background check for teaching if the students are in a grade higher than 12.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

Unless the employer wants the background check it will not be needed at immigration.

At nearby embassies they don't require the background check for teaching if the students are in a grade higher than 12.

Are you sure?