Windows 10 Activation from pirate copy to make legal

The manic

I had a legitimate copy of windows 7 which automatically upgraded to windows 10 over 18 months ago but two months ago my comp crashed and I had to replace the drive. I discovered the windows 10 version is a pirate copy I think. I am getting a message on screen to activate windows.  What will happen if I do activate windows? Can I buy a license key this way? Will I get castigated and blocked?  I am concerned because I am travelling to Europe and do not wish to travel with an illegal copy.  Any advice would be welcome  Apparently I cannot use the OEM number from my original windows 7 package.

How did a pirate copy get on it?

You can reinstall your legitimate Windows 7 and upgrade again. It's also possible that you can just run a clean install of Windows 10 that may auto-activate. Of course you'll need to make a back-up of your data beforehand.

Some brand name and model number details of your machine and whether it was sold with Windows 7 pre-installed might be helpful.

I believe that if Microsoft detects a pirated version when you go to activate, you are provided with a link to purchase a license.  You possibly can buy a bona fide Windows version cheaper locally than paying Microsoft directly.  e.g. InvadeIT has an OEM version of 64-bit Win10 Home for B3990.  I'm pretty sure I've seen the same version/price at IT City and Banana IT, too.

HOWEVER, I would recommend following @JamJar's suggestion to clean install Windows 10 and activate, as that *should* work if the only component changed was the hard drive.  If it does fail, you have the option of activating over the phone, and you should get an activation key that way.

(For help on downloading/installing a legal, fresh version of Windows see:  https://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/ )

OEM will only work on one computer. If you replaced your hard drive the OEM thonks you have a new computer and will not allow activation. Ive heard you can contact Microsoft and get them to give you a new code or reset in cases like yours.

14 hours ago, RBOP said:

OEM will only work on one computer. If you replaced your hard drive the OEM thonks you have a new computer and will not allow activation. Ive heard you can contact Microsoft and get them to give you a new code or reset in cases like yours.

Yes, that is correct. I replaced the hard drive in my Windows 10 PC and the OS then showed deactivated. I think in the activation window (type "Activation" in the search box on the taskbar) showed the US number I had to phone. Spoke to a live person and told him the problem and he reactivated the OS. 

I have been blessed in that neither a Windows 7 nor Windows 8 installation has been upgraded against my will.

It sounds to me like your getting a "false negative" if M'soft upgraded you and then wagged its finger and said that your copy isn't genuine.

I bought a genuine (I think) copy of Windows Vista from Amazon Marketplace and over the years I got "not genuine" messages.  I recall that I had to reinstall.

I had Windows 10 do an unwanted upgrade and it bricked my computer.  I downloaded Win 10 from Pirate Bay and activated it and searched for my computer's drivers.

There are ethical concerns here.  I can better give an example of them than explain them.

I bought a laptop with XP in Berlin.  It was in German, of course.  

I installed XP Black Edition.  I had a license for one copy of XP.  I was using one copy of XP.  I don't see that it's material that my license was for a German language edition and I used an English language edition.

I have also spent hundreds of dollars on legal upgrades, $200 for Windows 98 and $100 for an XP upgrade. I don't think I'm ripping off software authors.

Having said that, let your conscience be your guide.

Here are two more alternatives.

1)  Build a Hackintosh, i.e., tweak your computer to run OSX.  Apple sells OSX for ridiculously cheap prices.  You'll need the help of tonymac86.com and hackintosh.com and a friend with a mac.  But, you'll be ethical and a member of a very special club.

2)  Grow a pair and run Linux.  You'll soon forget Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.  Linus Torvalds is the name that matters.

Viva Suomi! 

Edited by gunghang

I would contact Microsoft and explain the situation to them. I had to replace hardware in my computer and Microsoft was very good about giving me a fresh install of Windows 10. They remotely took over my computer and installed Windows 10 for me. You can also try the instructions from the Microsoft website regarding activation, but you might want to contact them first:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Btw, I was very impressed with Microsoft support. You can start with the Virtual Assistant, but chat with a live support tech if you need to. You can also speak with a tech by phone if needed, and Microsoft will call you (and pay for the call). 

38 minutes ago, gunghang said:

I have been blessed in that neither a Windows 7 nor Windows 8 installation has been upgraded against my will.

It sounds to me like your getting a "false negative" if M'soft upgraded you and then wagged its finger and said that your copy isn't genuine.

I bought a genuine (I think) copy of Windows Vista from Amazon Marketplace and over the years I got "not genuine" messages.  I recall that I had to reinstall.

I had Windows 10 do an unwanted upgrade and it bricked my computer.  I downloaded Win 10 from Pirate Bay and activated it and searched for my computer's drivers.

There are ethical concerns here.  I can better give an example of them than explain them.

I bought a laptop with XP in Berlin.  It was in German, of course.  

I installed XP Black Edition.  I had a license for one copy of XP.  I was using one copy of XP.  I don't see that it's material that my license was for a German language edition and I used an English language edition.

I have also spent hundreds of dollars on legal upgrades, $200 for Windows 98 and $100 for an XP upgrade. I don't think I'm ripping off software authors.

Having said that, let your conscience be your guide.

Here are two more alternatives.

1)  Build a Hackintosh, i.e., tweak your computer to run OSX.  Apple sells OSX for ridiculously cheap prices.  You'll need the help of tonymac86.com and hackintosh.com and a friend with a mac.  But, you'll be ethical and a member of a very special club.

2)  Grow a pair and run Linux.  You'll soon forget Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.  Linus Torvalds is the name that matters.

Viva Suomi! 

The drive holding his operating system failed and appears he did not have a system image to restore from so computer shop installed a new drive with an unactivated Windows 10 and only key he has is for the original Windows 7.

1 hour ago, 2008bangkok said:

Interesting, I read somewhere if the PC was the same then windows 10 would automatically be activated, i guess if you change the HD that is not the case

Technically this is correct, as once the OP's upgrade happened he was activated with a digital license/entitlement meaning that if he ever needs to re-install, he would not need to activate his copy of Windows 10 again. The activation is tied to the motherboard, not the hard drive. I have tried this several times and it auto activated for me, once I re--installed Windows and had it connected to the internet

OP, not sure what you have done, but if you are 100% sure your Windows 7 was a legit copy then your copy of Windows 10 is not a pirate copy, not even sure how it could become a pirate copy, if you used the media creation tool to create you install ISO. Also are you installing the correct version ie. Hoem or Pro. Whatever version your Windows 7 was, that is the version of Windows 10 you need to be re-installing with.

And another post discussing moderation removed.

Any more and a holiday awaits.

One suggests a read of the forum rules which you accepted in June would be advised.

To save you the effort of finding the rules:-

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

He had a new drive installed and suspect Windows 10 is a legal version and just needs activation (payment/key).  Suspect that direct path would be worth the price.

Thanks. Please clarify the direct path. 

10 hours ago, RBOP said:

Does using the, activation key count as contacting MS? 

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Thanks. Please clarify the direct path. 

(payment/key).

...was his suggestion.

How about you go back to post #2 and answer those simple questions so that you can get the problem fixed asap?

If you knew how to fix the issue, you wouldn't be posting here. So how about you show some respect for the people trying to help you, by responding in a timely manner?

We need to ascertain a few things about the machine and the edition of Windows 10 installed. It might not just be a matter of buying a licence in order to activate the install.

You should also back up your important data in case you have to run a clean install.

It really irritates me when people post here asking for help and then shy away from answering pertinent questions.

Edited by JamJar

On 7/24/2017 at 5:03 PM, speedtripler said:

There is someone in Germany selling licenses on ebay for €4.99 or something like that 

Search for him

I tried this. It's not legit and Windows detects it as an illegal installation.

straight 8 is correct your licence is held in the motherboard bios from win 8 or 8.5 on. i'm pretty sure win 8 would not download upgrade , as against  clean install with media but win 8.5 would. I don' know if the same ser no is used by win 10 when it is uploaded / graded from win 8.5

I normally chiangemy motherboard and processor every 3 years , 2 years ago I up graded and had to start from win 8.5 and and 8.5 ser no go through windows the updates to get to win 10 . I first tried downloading a copy of Win 10 from Microsoft and using the 8.5 ser no but it would not work. don't know if this helps any one understand any better. i've used Microsoft own tool and a copy utility from paragon to copy every thing on my computer to a external hard drive try on the new motherboard I will buy   next year

On 26/07/2017 at 4:51 AM, quandow said:

I tried this. It's not legit and Windows detects it as an illegal installation.

They are legit licenses, the case went to court and they won the right to resell windows from scrap machines from a European judge

I know people who bought win 7 activate code and from there used the Microsoft wizard to get a free upgrade to win 10

14 hours ago, derekwyoung said:

straight 8 is correct your licence is held in the motherboard bios from win 8 or 8.5 on. i'm pretty sure win 8 would not download upgrade , as against  clean install with media but win 8.5 would. I don' know if the same ser no is used by win 10 when it is uploaded / graded from win 8.5

I normally chiangemy motherboard and processor every 3 years , 2 years ago I up graded and had to start from win 8.5 and and 8.5 ser no go through windows the updates to get to win 10 . I first tried downloading a copy of Win 10 from Microsoft and using the 8.5 ser no but it would not work. don't know if this helps any one understand any better. i've used Microsoft own tool and a copy utility from paragon to copy every thing on my computer to a external hard drive try on the new motherboard I will buy   next year

I read this three times and it is still gobbledook. There is no Windows 8.5. There is Windows 8.1.

If you wanted your Windows 8.1 product key to work, you would have to go through the phone activation process. 

Much as I resist comment on these type of issue,
I will jump back on.
☆ my previous post was removed by because it may have sounded like it condoned illegal software or activation methods.
Sorry for that.

This link is all you need to know.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

If your situation doesn't fit any of the examples here you can contact Microsoft and they will be happy to assist.

Just for reference.
XP is not supported
XP black is a counterfeit offering.
Vista has limited support.

However, as said by others.
W7
W8
Can be freely updated.
There is still an option to legitimately get W10 install for free.
From Microsoft.

A product key is old technology and a digital licence is applied now.
Embodied in the BIOS on the pc.
Once you have one it's there and every time the pc updates utility runs it is referenced.

KMSPICO is a validated activator readily available.
Nothing illegal in using it.
You just don't get full functionality if you don't shake hands with Microsoft Windows at some point.

If W10 is working on the pc and you can access setup, you are given options to restore, remove, upgrade, revert to Windows 7.

Like others I'm a little perplexed as to what the real issue is here?

I've been fortunate enough to be a systems engineer many years experience in most platforms.
A windows certified technical support person.
Even now I still have involvement in user accept testing.

Microsoft, Mac, Linux etc don't want people to have problems.
It's normally the human element in the equation that's doing something wrong.
Or trying to get around the system.

If it is a genuine glitch they will guide you through the process of inputting a new authority string.
Normally gratis.

I too have read this several times and it is not making sense.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

40 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Much as I resist comment on these type of issue,
I will jump back on.
☆ my previous post was removed by because it may have sounded like it condoned illegal software or activation methods.
Sorry for that.

This link is all you need to know.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

If your situation doesn't fit any of the examples here you can contact Microsoft and they will be happy to assist.

Just for reference.
XP is not supported
XP black is a counterfeit offering.
Vista has limited support.

However, as said by others.
W7
W8
Can be freely updated.
There is still an option to legitimately get W10 install for free.
From Microsoft.

A product key is old technology and a digital licence is applied now.
Embodied in the BIOS on the pc.
Once you have one it's there and every time the pc updates utility runs it is referenced.

KMSPICO is a validated activator readily available.
Nothing illegal in using it.
You just don't get full functionality if you don't shake hands with Microsoft Windows at some point.

If W10 is working on the pc and you can access setup, you are given options to restore, remove, upgrade, revert to Windows 7.

Like others I'm a little perplexed as to what the real issue is here?

I've been fortunate enough to be a systems engineer many years experience in most platforms.
A windows certified technical support person.
Even now I still have involvement in user accept testing.

Microsoft, Mac, Linux etc don't want people to have problems.
It's normally the human element in the equation that's doing something wrong.
Or trying to get around the system.

If it is a genuine glitch they will guide you through the process of inputting a new authority string.
Normally gratis.

I too have read this several times and it is not making sense.

Kmspico is not a legit authenticitor tool... But it's what they often  use to make the warnings go away at pantip lol

Just to clear up any confusion over using Key Management Services
A link is attached.

http://www.officialkmspico.com

It's useful for office too.

I have been trying to replicate the issue originally posted but I cannot see any logical sense .
(Yes I've much time lol)

There is something else.
I don't think this is the whole story.?