Airport railway revealed as residents worry

geovalin

The government has revealed ambitious plans for a railway to be completed by April 2018 that will carry goods and passengers from the city to Phnom Penh International Airport. Meanwhile, protesters already being affected by the construction of the railway, which they claim began two months ago in Por Senchey district’s Ka Kab commune, continue to claim they have been left in the dark about the project.

On Friday, Minister of Public Works and Transportation Sun Chanthol revealed the light train plans and the ambitious deadline for its completion. Mr Chanthol said about 250 metres of the railway – which will be 1.5 kilometres long – is already under construction.

“Once operational, it’ll take 20 minutes to travel from within the city to the airport via the light train,” he said. “It will reduce traffic congestion in the city, particularly for people living around the airport, and tourists can use the service into Phnom Penh from the airport to avoid traffic jams.” The train will be free of charge during its first month of operation, Mr Chanthol added.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5074415/airport-railway-revealed-residents-worry/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times /24/07/

20 minutes to go 1.5km?

Is it a toy train?  I can walk faster than that. Exactly who is this ridiculous thing supposed to serve, and given that the main part of the city is about 8km from the airport, exactly how is a 1.5km walking speed train supposed to help anyone?

There must be more to this story, or someone has clearly made an error. This is just nonsense. I thought it might have been a typo and he meant 7.5km, but no. I checked the original text, and he repeats it twice. They are only building 1.5km.

Maybe they are trying to compete with Thailand in the "Train to Nowhere" competition.

4 hours ago, Monomial said:

20 minutes to go 1.5km?

Is it a toy train?  I can walk faster than that. Exactly who is this ridiculous thing supposed to serve, and given that the main part of the city is about 8km from the airport, exactly how is a 1.5km walking speed train supposed to help anyone?

There must be more to this story, or someone has clearly made an error. This is just nonsense. I thought it might have been a typo and he meant 7.5km, but no. I checked the original text, and he repeats it twice. They are only building 1.5km.

Maybe they are trying to compete with Thailand in the "Train to Nowhere" competition.

It is proposed as a light train - there in be your information!
I would hazard a guess that it will include several stops en route.

1.5km or not (this will be as the crow flies, not the route), a Light Train with stops will take some time.  Its not portrayed to be a high speed rail link

Its a sound proposal, lets see how it pans out.