Chinese student hit on head with stick and robbed in Pattaya

webfact

Chinese student hit on head with stick and robbed in Pattaya

By The Nation

PATTAYA: -- A female Chinese student was knocked unconscious on a Pattaya roadside and robbed of Bt15,000 and a Bt10,000 smartphone on Sunday evening, police said.

Lt-Col Pattanan Somnual, deputy inspector of Pattaya Police Station, was alerted of the robbery at about 10pm.

The victim was identified as Laichu Han, 18. She waited to file complaint at the scene behind LK Hotel in South Pattaya in tambon Nongplue in Chon Buri’s Bang Lamung district.

The woman said while she was walking back to her residence after buying goods at a convenience store, a man came out of a white pickup and hit her head with a stick, causing her to become unconscious.

She said she woke up on a footpath and it was raining. Her handbag, which had contained Bt3,000 and 3,000 yuan (Bt15,000) and a Huawei phone, were gone.

She sought help from local residents who called police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321600

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-24

Even for Pattaya or Phuket, this sounds audaciously odd.

10 pm is a bit early for this kind of violent mugging. Also the vehicle of choice is always a motorbike not a pick-up.

Was there an altercation leading up to it? Perhaps relating to crossing the road in an un-Thai manner.

Thais like to do things in a habitual manner, even robberies. The correct way to do this in Thai culture is to pull the bag from the victim whilst riding pillion on a motorbike and stab them if they resist.

I guess The Nation staff left their calculator at home.

She lost 18,000 baht (not 15,000 baht)  & a phone... Hang on.....maybe I'm wrong, but the article is confusing.

"She said she woke up on a footpath and it was raining. Her handbag, which had contained Bt3,000 and 3,000 yuan (Bt15,000) and a Huawei phone, were gone."

Is 3,000 yuan 15K?

Edited by jaywalker

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Even for Pattaya or Phuket, this sounds audaciously odd.

10 pm is a bit early for this kind of violent mugging. Also the vehicle of choice is always a motorbike not a pick-up.

Was there an altercation leading up to it? Perhaps relating to crossing the road in an un-Thai manner.

Thais like to do things in a habitual manner, even robberies. The correct way to do this in Thai culture is to pull the bag from the victim whilst riding pillion on a motorbike and stab them if they resist.

Yeah sounds like road rage lunacy. Glad it was a stick and not a sword.

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

Yeah sounds like road rage lunacy. Glad it was a stick and not a sword.

Very possibly. Or was it a sex attack that was aborted or deliberately misreported to protect the victim (who was named nevertheless!)

I think your road rage theory is more likely. Many Thais keep batons or bats in their cars as weapons.

Bad publicity for Thailand amongst Chinese tourists and the news will go viral in China...

Not that I mean to go off topic, but what do the immigration boys think of the assault and their rules requiring farangs to present cash on arrival at Suvarnabhumi?

Poor Girl and the next time she will most probably spend her cash in some beach resort in southern Europe....

18 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I guess The Nation staff left their calculator at home.

She lost 18,000 baht (not 15,000 baht)  & a phone... Hang on.....maybe I'm wrong, but the article is confusing.

"She said she woke up on a footpath and it was raining. Her handbag, which had contained Bt3,000 and 3,000 yuan (Bt15,000) and a Huawei phone, were gone."

Is 3,000 yuan 15K?

Well I wasn't confused until I read your post!