Swimming pool

dreetje

UV traitement

I use only 1 glass of chemical against green algues every 10 to 15 days...

No Chlorine or other chemical... Water is perfect !

Total : Around 1M THB

Picture of the pool :

<a href="http://muanglen.online.fr/sansai10-ete07/07-p05.html" target="_blank">http://muanglen.online.fr/sansai10-ete07/07-p05.html</a>

<a href="http://muanglen.online.fr/sansai10-ete07/07-p10.html" target="_blank">http://muanglen.online.fr/sansai10-ete07/07-p10.html</a>

That's a beautiful pool, but what brand of UV system are you using? I've seen many and none of them are designed to eliminate chlorine completely, only greatly reduce it's need. What steps do you take to maintain your water balance? (mineral, pH, alkalinity, etc?)

Do you throw chlorine in a river upstream before you swim in it also ??

Don't be silly. A stream with fresh flowing water is a completely different case. Would you swim in a pond full of still water which was maintained at optimum growing temperature for microorganisms? That's essentially what a pool is. Good way to get a bout of dysentery.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Ozone an option?

I seem to remember that some public pools in the UK were treated that way.

Aside from the sizable cost ozone doesn't work well in smaller pools because unless you have it running 24/7 it doesn't sanitize like chlorine does because ozone has no residual effect.

The chlorine boogieman is very overblown anyway.

Chlorine boogyman is not overblown at all....some of us prefer not to smell of chlorine for hours after a swim, or swim for hours without getting red eyes.

I am giving the salt water pool a run currently and will see how it turns out.

After this one I am keen to try the UV or that 'osmosis' I think treatment, cannot remeber its name just now, to see how they perform.

Chlorine boogyman is not overblown at all....some of us prefer not to smell of chlorine for hours after a swim, or swim for hours without getting red eyes.

I am giving the salt water pool a run currently and will see how it turns out.

After this one I am keen to try the UV or that 'osmosis' I think treatment, cannot remeber its name just now, to see how they perform.

First of all, if you can smell the chlorine you aren't taking proper care of your pool. Combines are too high and it needs to be shocked.

Red eyes is almost always a pH problem, not a chlorine problem.

Salt pools just convert the salt into chlorine.

You really need to learn more about pools before making these kinds of judgements or you'll be victim to every salesmen willing to sell you horror stories about chlorine.

Regardless of the cause...good or bad managemnt...the pools we swim in are not under our control unless it is our own.

I have swum in many a pool overloaded with chlorine and stunk for hours, even after showers, let alone the health issues and have certainly had very red sore eyes from it.

EVERY salt water POOL I have swum in, has not left me with the chlorine boofyman up my arse, nor with sore eyes.

So sorry, practically speaking, I prefer my experience than someone elses possible theories.

Also as I know very little about the other 2 methods mentioned, nor have I knowingly swam in one, but I have heard many good things about them. So I will be researching these 2 methods for the next time.

I think if the OP is using his pool all the time and as stated, no chlorine etc, then good for him and he should be admired for it, however he does it, rather than put down by the 'chlorine boogymen protectors'

My "possible theories" are actually hard facts born from experience and education which any qualified pool operator (not salesman) will tell you is correct.

I have no interest in protecting chlorine. I do have a responsibility to the swimmers in our pools though, and for that reason if I were operating such a pool as is mentioned above by phanu, the health department would shut it down as being unsanitary.

I do get approached regularly by the same people who use chlorine horror stories and misinformation to try selling me expensive alternatives. Fortunately I've been taught well and can see through the sales pitch.

I think if the OP is using his pool all the time and as stated, no chlorine etc, then good for him and he should be admired for it, however he does it, rather than put down by the 'chlorine boogymen protectors'

nobody has "put him down" but he never explained what

quote: "glass of chemical"

he puts in his pool.

as for you Honourable Mr Squigle Sir,

you have quite obviously never had a pool of your own and therefore lack any basic knowledge.

best of luck to you! :o

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

Looks like the gloves are coming off!!

I have read through this thread with great interest and obviously many of you have have different views on the method construction, chemicals vs salt etc, but does anyone know of a good pool contractor in the Chiang Rai area i am looking to build a pool and have no idea of where to start.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi.

Are you intertested in building a swimming pool in Chiang Mai ? I can help you. Many of my friends have built with the same builder. We also install Saltwater Chlorinators from Australia, no more chlorine. Nearly maintenance free. Chlorinators can also be installed if you don't have one. I am a very happy onwer of a pool

Niggi

niggi,

Thanks for your info, we are in Chiang Rai, however i am considering not bothering a neigbour has a pool and spends most of his time fishing snakes, frogs and bugs out each day before he can use it, and advises spending my money on an indoor pool or just dont bother as the costs outway the benifit.

Back to the drawing board i think

cheers

• 1 month later...
Hi.

Are you intertested in building a swimming pool in Chiang Mai ? I can help you. Many of my friends have built with the same builder. We also install Saltwater Chlorinators from Australia, no more chlorine. Nearly maintenance free. Chlorinators can also be installed if you don't have one. I am a very happy onwer of a pool

Niggi

Hi Niggi ,

We start building house and pool within the next 12 month north of ChiangMai and would be interested in more info and name of builder.

Regards

Werner

• 2 weeks later...
Hi.

Niggi

I’m soon going to build a Pool, in Chiang Mai, I will like to have contact information on the constructor you know.

Claus Christensen

Do not get stung on the price of saltwater chlorinators. An Australian made state-of-the-art unit with full automatic computerised pool management system can be bought directly from the importer from 31,000 - 45,000 baht depending on the size of your pool. Some pool retailers are selling the same models for DOUBLE these prices. They can be installed in less than two hours.

Hey guy's

I have just had a quote from a contractor in Chiang Rai for an 9x4 pool, he has quoted using an ASTRAL pool pump and sand filter, are they any good, i understand they are from Spain ?

He has also given me a separate price for a salt water chlorinator of 50K, i would be interested in more info an the Australian model you mentioned Chaichara.

Cheers

BSACBOB,

I hope your quote for the pool is not more than ฿540,000 - ฿600,000, if it is, there is some monkey business going on.

ASTRAL pumps & filters are OK, but you can be sure you're being ripped off up to 100% more on the price. A pump and a filter for your pool should not be costing more than ฿30,000 - 35,000 + VAT together.

For your chlorinator, see the attached PDF (2pages). It's more than just a chlorinator, it's a fully programmable pool management system with built in timers, self cleaning programmes, and pump-protection. One of the best on the market. Cost for a pool your size about 35,000 + VAT here in Thailand but I've seen them on sale in the Pattaya and Phuket pool shops for 65,000 !

Up to 5 years guarantee.

Install, set up, and test: about 2 hours.

Tools needs: hacksaw, screwdriver, electric drill, glue for PVC pipe.

Materials: two 1.5" or 2", (depending on your pipe diametre) grade 13.5 PVC, 90° bends.

You will NEVER have the slightest smell of chlorine, and the thing pays for itself very quickly.

Maintaining the pH of the poolwater is fairly important for best performance - but the pH level of 7.2 is important to maintain anyway.

Surechlor_4000_2_.pdf

Chaichara

Thanks very much for your info, we have been priced b850K for a skimmer and b950K for an overflow all inc, we have had a few other prices but all around 1.3 million, we dont have many contractors around CR.

I will haggle with the contractor and buy the pumps etc direct and see what difference it makes.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

i built my pool my pool last year cost me 300k for everything, now building one for the bloke next door if want some help let me know costing a fair bit more this year close to 400k maybe

9mx5mx1.5m 65000 lt, pebbletex, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, maindrain, 1.5hp pentair pump, pentair ta60 sandfilter, esc24 chloromatic ,bit small recomend the 48, hassle free loving it

check out troublefreepool.com great site

if you want some help let me know

• 1 month later...
It was cleaner than that one and smelt better, due to my nuerotic chlorine phobias......but you would not have enjoyed swimming in it.....no chemicals to help preserve your tired soul.

I have 400m3 pool in chaing Mai and I use UV + sand filter since 2 years... Water is very clear and clean... no need Chlorine... just treatment for grren algues evry 2 weeks!

Phil'

That is an extremely large pool. I would assume you own a hotel or a resort. if you a re adding algaecide to a pool that size every two weeks, then clearly there is a problem that could be rectified by some automated water hygiene system. The ROI on the equipment, particulrly as you are running a business, will will be very quick as algaecide costs a forutune if you buy it packaged as a pool product.

• 3 months later...

So how did it go with the hole in the ground? I am on a farm near trang and have finished the house now want a pool..can get local labour easy and supplies..question is plans etc did you use any..I want to build a pool in the lagoon style ie free form and rock like shell swum in one in n Queensland very natural rock pool like.seems thais have a way with making everything with concrete..do you know what type of cement for concrete additives fro waterproofing and plaster type cement?..Sorry for all the questions hope you have time to give me some advise rgds

david

That is an extremely large pool. I would assume you own a hotel or a resort. if you a re adding algaecide to a pool that size every two weeks, then clearly there is a problem that could be rectified by some automated water hygiene system. The ROI on the equipment, particulrly as you are running a business, will will be very quick as algaecide costs a forutune if you buy it packaged as a pool product.

No, it's not hotel or resort... just my private home !!!

I put some algaecide for security... my UV system works very very well... so, normaly I don't need such product... but the cost of this product is not high...

0025.jpg

Answer for David 006

Go on my website regarding the history of my house... you will see how I build my pool... http://muanglen.online.fr

Regarding the concrete, I order the same concret as the one they used for the landing runway of the airport in Chiang Mai... and after that, I put plaster with cement and SIKA..

And don't forget that you have to make the baement/floor 1st...and after all the wall around IN ONE TIME !!!.. If your pool is big, you will need maybe 20 or 30 workers...

Phil'

post-24854-1234174153_thumb.jpg

Archived