Swimming pool

dreetje

Nobody has mentioned salt water pools, I would have thought they would be more suited to LOS as opposed to chlorine because of the higher sunlight levels. I know this to be the case in QLD.

Sure is Bronco....No-body builds anything but a salt water pool nowdays. I've got one ande they're easy as ###### to look after.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not read through all the postings on this thread, as I do not want to burst into tears.

A swimming pool is a water-retaining structure and as such it is necessary to follow some very specific rules.

The pool must be adequately supported - you need to know the bearing capacity of the ground below the pool and at the sides.

The pool must have waterproof joints where you join the walls to the previously cast base. This means special jointing materials.

The pool must not be filled for at least 30 days after completion, but all surfaces should be kept damp for curing of concrete. (If you are tiling, rateher than painting the surfaces, this is taken care of)

Your filtration system must be adequate for the required changes of water per day.

Top-up of about 1cm depth per day due to evaporation should be allowed. Maybe less here, as it is a humid climate.

I, as a professional, have had a swimming pool crack on me. The client wanted it sited on a slope, which I advised him against. But he insisted and he was the client. So I built it, demolished it, built it where I wanted, got paid twice. But the client was not happy.

Take professional advice - if you want to do it yourself, get someone who knows water-retaining structures to supervise.

I have a reasonable builder in Surin. He said that he would build me a 20m x 10m pool for about 250,000, including the dig, laborers and all the stuff at the hardware shop.

I know that Thai builders don't manage the budget that well, but add about 25% - 30% and there is the money. He did a good job on my house, and I made the possibly fatal mistake of not supervising the work.... to date I am happy.

He has done large pools before

if you want to PM me, I can give you details. There are many examples of his work around Kab Choeng and Bangkok.

Nobody has mentioned salt water pools, I would have thought they would be more suited to LOS as opposed to chlorine because of the higher sunlight levels. I know this to be the case in QLD.

Ok I'll mention it.

What about salt water pools? Or Klong water pools?

I have a reasonable builder in Surin. He said that he would build me a 20m x 10m pool for about 250,000, including the dig, laborers and all the stuff at the hardware shop.

I know that Thai builders  don't manage the budget that well, but add about 25% - 30% and there is the money. He did a good job on my house, and I made the possibly fatal mistake of not supervising the work.... to date I am happy.

He has done large pools before

if you want to PM me, I can give you details. There are many examples of his work around Kab Choeng and Bangkok.

That sounds like a reasonable price. Mine is a LOT smaller, and only 20% cheaper.

I made a mistake not using an accountant as a go between on daily expenditures. I feel I could have saved 10,000-20,000 baht had I done that. Dodgy receipts were a headache, and I wasn't prepared to follow up each one...

The advice to use a construction expert is a good one. I know I never could have done as well myself, even if I do think I know everything....See? I knew that, too! :o

Sure is Bronco....No-body builds anything but a salt water pool nowdays. I've got one ande they're easy as ###### to look after.

What are the advantages of a salt water vs fresh water pool, outside of raising your own prawns? :o

salt water pools need a salting machine, these are automatic and save a lot of hassle, an aussie imported machine for a 10 by 6 met pool is about 80,000baht.

water is heavy and also when ppl jump into the pool that causes lots of shock to the structure.

most companies charge 12,000 baht per sq met to make u a pool.

with a reasonable size pool u will need footings every couple of meters, so if u want a 2 meter deep pool u dig down to 3 and half meters, once ur footings are in u can then lay the steel rebar and put ur plumbing in, u r now ready to phone up a concrete company to come and do ur pour for the base, now this is where u will probably go wrong as u probably dont know wot strengh of concrete to use and how many cms, thats why its best to use a company.

ok u got ur pour down so u can start on the outside breeze block retaining wall, next do ur rebar attaching well onto the floor rebar of which u have left an excess of 1 meter, the wall rebar needs to be double skinned.

ok interior breeze block wall needs putting up then it needs supporting using wood then call in that concrete company again and do ur pour.

ok now its time for a rough render and tile it off.

salt water pools need a salting machine, these are automatic and save a lot of hassle, an aussie imported machine for a 10 by 6 met pool is about 80,000baht.

water is heavy and also when ppl jump into the pool that causes lots of shock to the structure.

most companies charge 12,000 baht per sq met to make u a pool.

with a reasonable size pool u will need footings every couple of meters, so if u want a 2 meter deep pool u dig down to 3 and half meters, once ur footings are in u can then lay the steel rebar and put ur plumbing in, u r now ready to phone up a concrete company to come and do ur pour for the base, now this is where u will probably go wrong as u probably dont know wot strengh of concrete to use and how many cms, thats why its best to use a company.

ok u got ur pour down so u can start on the outside breeze block retaining wall, next do ur rebar attaching well onto the floor rebar of which u have left an excess of 1 meter, the wall rebar needs to be double skinned.

ok interior breeze block wall needs putting up then it needs supporting using wood  then call in that concrete company again and do ur pour.

ok now its time for a rough render and tile it off.

Sure are a lot of experienced and knowledgable folks here, Ajarn or NoAjarn. :D

No flames, pleases. I'm just playin', na'? :o

I had never even heard of a salt-water pool before reading this thread! As Ajarn asked, what are the advantages to having one aside from the reduced expense of chemicals? Isn't the "subjective pleasure experience" reduced swimming in brackish or salty water as opposed to fresh? :o

My Webpage

This could be an easy and cheap way out.

Edd and the family

Istill can not put a photo onto this forum :D  :D  :D

pool_1.jpg

You bear a striking resemblence to the Late Ansel Adams. I worked in his lab as a teenager...

Ye

some mornings i feel like "The late Ansel Adams" :D

Please, please, can you explain how i can put a photograph on the forum.

If you do, you can come to my home and have a play in the pool. :wub::o-_-

Above the text box, click on 'IMG'....

A diologue box will open. In the box will he 'http://'

fill in the rest of the address...

(the easiest way to get the correct address easily is to right click on the online image, choose 'properties'...Copy the 'URL' and paste into the IMG box)

Click on 'OK'....You'll see the coding in your text box.

Click 'preview' to see if it loads correctly. If it doesn't, the likeliest cause is the wrong address, or too big of an image

Hope this helps :o

I spent 35 years in the concrete business and Ive seen alot of do-it-yourself horror stories. Usually, they involve people reading a book about concrete and then thinking it will be as easy as in the book. After alot of work and money down the drain, they clean up the mess and call an expert.

If I built a pool in Thailand, I would do the concrete work and hire someone to tile the entire inside. When it comes to concrete, there are many things that could go wrong. I just hope I can save someone a big head ache.

I spent 35 years in the concrete business and Ive seen alot of do-it-yourself horror stories. Usually, they involve people reading a book about concrete and then thinking it will be as easy as in the book. After alot of work and money down the drain, they clean up the mess and call an expert.

If I built a pool in Thailand, I would do the concrete work and hire someone to tile the entire inside. When it comes to concrete, there are many things that could go wrong. I just hope I can save someone a big head ache.

But they don't seem to listen, do they.

Many posts with advice, no-one anywhere has mentioned water-bar. No-one has mentioned that WRS (water-retaining structures) need dense concrete specifically designed for same.

Not to worry - I'm thinking of starting a pool-repair company. I think I'll have plenty of business! :o

The salt water pools arn't really that salty as the name suggests. Chlorine breaks down very quickly in stong sunlight this is just an alternative method with a lot less hassle than using tablets and adding direct.

They really are the most popular method of treating pool water in northern australia that are exposed to direct sunlight.

I will be looking at something like this with the decking and the spa.

raised_rock_spa.jpg

I would love it to light up like this one at night.

lazy_l_shape_with_spa.jpg

Anyway, there is some great info here.

My back won't allow me to build it myself so it is a professional job for sure.

Anyone with an idea of what sort of money I am talking here? just for the pool, the spa and associated hardware?

Chon buri...

Just a wild guess....

1-2 million baht if you get a Thai pool company to build everything for you, as in the first photo...I was quoted 600,000 baht for the cheapest pool one company in CM had, a small 12ft. oval pool...

500,000-700,000 if you supervise everything yourself... Lots of ways to knock up the price on tiling, sanitation system, water heater, quality of materials...You'll also need at least two pumps, and maybe two filters, I feel.

Mighty beautiful, especially the top photo :o

tuky,

those pictures are from anthony sylvan pools, a company i worked for 7 years in the US. i can't tell you how much pool construction is here in thailand but try and take your time and get as many bids first. pick a good pool contractor and try and see some of his finished pools.

tuky,

those pictures are from anthony sylvan pools, a company i worked for 7 years in the US. i can't tell you how much pool construction is here in thailand but try and take your time and get as many bids first. pick a good pool contractor and try and see some of his finished pools.

Does anyone know of a good pool contractor in the BKK/Suphanburi area? :o

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
<font color='#000000'>Anyone have built a pool in Thailand? Your input is much appreciated! Tell us how you did it!</font>

my pool http://2112design.com/stevepool5.jpg is 5x7 for the main body and the end bits are 1.5m radius . its 2m deep in the middle. as you can see its an overflow pool but i decided not to run it as an overflow because i loose too much water from splashing so now i lower the water level 5cm and use a floating skimmer.

the walls and floor are 15-20cm think concrete reinforced with 2 layers of 12mm rebar (#4), 15cm grid. i use xypex to waterproof the concrete. the rendering is about 3-5cm thick and the tile is standard cheap wall tile.

the pump, filter and chloriator are poolright.

the thing to look out for is that the wood forms for the walls are braced well enought so they don;t move when concrete is added (and use a concrete vibrator). don't put concrete too fast and go all the way around the walls evenly. my guys pured too fast on one side only and i got a big buldge (and not in a good place!). took ages to saw it off.

steve

There are many incorrect assumptions about swimming pools & the filtration thereof. I will try to shed some light on the subject.

Filters.

The purpose of a pool filter is to PRIMARILY prevent the dead bodies of bacteria from re-entering the pool. These dead bodies act as food for other living bacteria.

The SECONDARY purpose is to remove other solids from the pool.

Many people opt for the common 'spherical' shaped sand filters as they are cheap & readily available. They have 2 inherent problems;

1. Because of their shape, 'bio scum' builds up at the 'equator' of the filter. This scum can help to cause bacteria to flourish if the pool is not disinfected correctly. As a result, ear, eye & mouth infections can become prevalent. The 'bio scum' can only be removed by stripping the filter, cleaning out the scum & replacing the old sand with new sand. With this type of filter, this procedure is recommended annually.

2. Again because of their shape, the full volume of sand is not used for filtration. They are inefficient.

Don't forget to 'backwash' your filter for at least 5 minutes EVERY DAY.

The better style of filter is one of a cylindrical shape. It is long & thin so the water has to pass through a longer distance of sand, thus better filtering. Bio scum will not easily form in these filters due to the filter shape. These filters are very efficient but more expensive.

Filter Media.

Cartridge filter media is good but restricts the water flow as the filter becomes more clogged. This restricted water flow will have a detrimental affect on the rate of pool disinfection. So, cartridge filters need to be constantly cleaned, at least every 72 hours of operation.

Sand is also a good filter medium as it has a two-fold action...as well as restricting solids etc, the sharp edges on the sand help to kill certain bacteria that chemical disinfectants have no affect upon.

But be careful...normal silica sand is not very good at doing this. The only sand that has a proven 'kill' factor is Quartz sand...very long & very sharp edges.

Disinfection.

Chlorine is widely used but least understood. Whether you add the chlorine to your pool by hand or whether it is ionised into solution by electrolysis & Salt, makes no difference.

What must be understood is this;

1. The ability for chlorine to disinfect (kill) in water, drastically decreases when the water temperature approaches & exceeds 28 degrees Celsius. Therefore, monitor your pool water temperature...especially if you live in Thailand.

2. Chlorine is an ineffective disinfectant in solutions that have a pH of greater than 8.0.

3. 'Free chlorine' is the measure of the available chlorine that can actively disinfect. The minimum level for a domestic pool should be about 2.0 ppm (parts per million) & the maximum should not exceed 5.0 ppm. Skin, eye & mucous membrane irritations can ocur at levels as low as 3.0 ppm.

4. If your pool has the correct pH, water temperature & free chlorine levels, you SHOULD NOT be able to smell any chlorine. If you can smell chlorine, in actual fact, you are not smelling chlorine. What you are smelling is Chloramines, which is the result of Free chlorine reacting with ammonia that is excuded by humans. Chloramines have absolutely no disinfection power whatsoever. If you smell chlorine, it's time to get out of your pool & test the water again.

Pumps

As an absolute minimum requirement, your pump should be sized so that it is capable of pumping the complete volume of pool water in no more than 2 hours. The bigger pump, the better. The less the 'turn around' time, the better the disinfection rate will be. The pump should be running at least 12 out of every every 24 hours.

Testing.

Test the pool water after;

1. There have been strong winds.

2. There has been rain.

3. There have been a large number of people in the pool. Generally, a pool needs at least 8 hours to recover from any of these things.

In addition, a 'Bromine Bank' is advised if using a chlorinated pool. Bromine has good 'kill' power & lasts longer than chlorine. Basically, it picks up where chlorine leaves off. Further, a Carbon Dioxide injection system will easily & automatically control the pH so that the Chlorine/Bromine disinfection can work to the highest efficiency. An expensive system to initially install but does save on elbow grease.

The use of Ozone is not desirable due to the corrosiveness of such a system.

UV filtering needs to be VERY carefully designed for the individual installation as the type of UV globes used are very important. Also, filtration is VERY important with a UV disinfection process. In any case, a Bromine Bank is always prescribed with the use of a UV disinfection system.

If you are concerned with the health of your pool users, these guidelines are helpful.

I build pools for a living in the US. Salt is the way to go there if you can get your hands on a good system. Eliminates need for chlorine and will leave a residual unlike the ionization someone esle mentioned. I was going to come there to retire. Maybe I should come and build pools,

Is funny so many think its so easy to do yourself. Frankly it's easier to build a house yet they have someone else do it. Maybe a swimming pool repair company is in my future?????????

I build pools for a living in the US. Salt is the way to go there if you can get your hands on a good system. Eliminates need for chlorine and will leave a residual unlike the ionization someone esle mentioned. I was going to come there to retire. Maybe I should come and build pools,

Is funny so many think its so easy to do yourself. Frankly it's easier to build a house yet they have someone else do it. Maybe a swimming pool repair company is in my future?????????

500,000-700,000 if you supervise everything yourself... Lots of ways to knock up the price on tiling, sanitation system, water heater, quality of materials...

If you dont know what your supervising it wioll end up costing you money........

You'll also need at least two pumps, and maybe two filters, I feel.

TWO pumps and filters..........?? for what :o . Does a car have TWO engines??

You only need one. Don't waste your money.

Archived