Swimming pool

dreetje

I'm looking for a Phuket pool building contractor to build an "above ground" concrete pool inside an existing building. 5Mx2.5Mx3Mdeep will be used for SCUBA training. Do indoor chlorine pools always smell or can that be controlled with balancing?

Recommendations guys? Looking for Quotes on different specs.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking for a Phuket pool building contractor to build an "above ground" concrete pool inside an existing building. 5Mx2.5Mx3Mdeep will be used for SCUBA training. Do indoor chlorine pools always smell or can that be controlled with balancing?

Indoor pools are very difficult to keep in balance because the sun contributes heavily to the balance as does rain replenishment. But it can be done and if done right you should have little, to no Cl2 smell. When you do smell it, it's generally because the Ph and T/A (Total Alkalinity) are out of balance with the amount of Cl2 and it is likely too low.

Indoor pools are very difficult to keep in balance because the sun contributes heavily to the balance as does rain replenishment. But it can be done and if done right you should have little, to no Cl2 smell. When you do smell it, it's generally because the Ph and T/A (Total Alkalinity) are out of balance with the amount of Cl2 and it is likely too low.

Thanks Warpspeed, im going to have to find a reputable company to help me with these things. You guys seem to know what your talking about but i don't really want to start learning pool DIY now. I want to find a good firm to help me build the pool and i guess maintain it as well. Trouble is i don't really want to get shafted by some ex pat asking for over the top Phuket farang rates.

Thanks Warpspeed, im going to have to find a reputable company to help me with these things. You guys seem to know what your talking about but i don't really want to start learning pool DIY now. I want to find a good firm to help me build the pool and i guess maintain it as well. Trouble is i don't really want to get shafted by some ex pat asking for over the top Phuket farang rates.

I just PM'd you a recommendation

Good luck

Cheers

Trouble is i don't really want to get shafted by some ex pat asking for over the top Phuket farang rates.

This prevalent perception is why I don't offer my services, too many people wanting everything on the cheap and not respecting the 25 years it took me to amass the experience and expertise I have makes it not worth my time to work here for a fraction of what I made back home when the work is every bit as hard and many times even harder because of previous incompetence and now my being up in years.. You get what you pay for.. And you're right not the time for learning DIY..

This prevalent perception is why I don't offer my services, too many people wanting everything on the cheap and not respecting the 25 years it took me to amass the experience and expertise I have makes it not worth my time to work here for a fraction of what I made back home when the work is every bit as hard and many times even harder because of previous incompetence and now my being up in years.. You get what you pay for.. And you're right not the time for learning DIY..

Totally agree, i'm a tradesman but i wouldn't do that job here. Like you say, easier back home and make more money at it. Only doing the job here i do, as its easier to do it here and i make more money out of doing it here. Just meant, i don't mind paying more for a good job but don't really want to pay much much more to a fast talking farang sales man than a Thai person would pay for their resort, shop etc.

Totally agree, i'm a tradesman but i wouldn't do that job here. Like you say, easier back home and make more money at it. Only doing the job here i do, as its easier to do it here and i make more money out of doing it here. Just meant, i don't mind paying more for a good job but don't really want to pay much much more to a fast talking farang sales man than a Thai person would pay for their resort, shop etc.

Fair enough but the problem is you already have your mindset of a "fast talking farang salesmen" so that pretty much labels anyone of the farang persuasion doesn't it since you're already biased, it sure does make their salesmanship that much more difficult..

I'd also like to add that many farang sales people will tell you up front what the jobs going to REALLY cost or very close to it whereas the Thai approach is to tell you what you want to hear and then apologize all over themselves as prices increase and they are in the middle of the job and you have no alternative but to bend over as it were..

In the end though it all comes out the same except you won't get the potential quality either. Mind you this is not the rule in all cases but a pretty accurate portrayal for most situations.

Fair enough but the problem is you already have your mindset of a "fast talking farang salesmen" so that pretty much labels anyone of the farang persuasion doesn't it since you're already biased, it sure does make their salesmanship that much more difficult..

I'd also like to add that many farang sales people will tell you up front what the jobs going to REALLY cost or very close to it whereas the Thai approach is to tell you what you want to hear and then apologize all over themselves as prices increase and they are in the middle of the job and you have no alternative but to bend over as it were..

In the end though it all comes out the same except you won't get the potential quality either. Mind you this is not the rule in all cases but a pretty accurate portrayal for most situations.

Fair enough, suppose i'm just looking for one of those cases you talk about when you say this isn't the rule in all cases. Surely not all Thais do a job of less quality? And there's definitely more Thai's out there offering services than foreigners so shouldn't be too hard to find a good one out of all of them. Just looking for a good job at a good price. Don't mind paying for it. Imagine if a Thai man and a foreign man in Thailand did exactly the same job at the same quality, which one is likely to be cheaper? Living in a country of cheap labor here.:blink:

It's like buying an overpriced imported product in the same country as it was exported from. Again this isn't the rule in all cases. I've just had a good quote from an Aussie guy in Phuket. Seen his work, like his price.

Fair enough, suppose i'm just looking for one of those cases you talk about when you say this isn't the rule in all cases. Surely not all Thais do a job of less quality? And there's definitely more Thai's out there offering services than foreigners so shouldn't be too hard to find a good one out of all of them. Just looking for a good job at a good price. Don't mind paying for it. Imagine if a Thai man and a foreign man in Thailand did exactly the same job at the same quality, which one is likely to be cheaper? Living in a country of cheap labor here.:blink:

It's like buying an overpriced imported product in the same country as it was exported from. Again this isn't the rule in all cases. I've just had a good quote from an Aussie guy in Phuket. Seen his work, like his price.

Apples and oranges really.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Pools in Phuket are often grossly overpriced. if the project is large enough, a company from further up the country may be prepared to come down there and build it for a more reasonable price. Shop around for quotes.

Indoor pools are NOT affected by direct sunlight. The addition of CYA should not normally be necessary.

Concurring with other posts, if there is a smell of chlorine, then the pool is not being properly maintained, and in a suburb of Melbourne recently, I almost choked on the smell of chlorine in an indoor municipal pool.

• 5 months later...

there is talk on here about a above ground framed pool i have one for my own use 12ft dia x 30 inch deep and have been useing for a few years its great. the best way to get a cheap pool,i take down when i leave and put up when come back.would reccomend framed pool and not inflatable pool.

and also i have another one for sale brand new still in box with pump and chemicals for 6 months if anybody needs one 11000 Bhats live near Sattahip friend went home

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good Morning All, I'm new to the Forum so please be gentle with me whistling.gif

I'm looking for a good, reliable and of course reasonably priced pool builder in Pattaya. I've seen posts ref PattayaPools and Pools and Home (or whichever way around it is) but during my t'interweb search, I also saw a Company called ISS. Anybody had experience with this Company (good or bad).

If anyone has any other recommendations, I'd welcome the advice.

I have just had a 8 x 4.5 mtr fiberglass salt water chlorinater pool in Maha Sarakham... 600,000 Baht Finished

Used an Australian guy based near Bangkok (has a Thai company) and his team to do it and surprisingly (for Thailand) it all went to plan and was installed in 3 days! and the concrete surround and sand wash was completed with the week. Message me for his name and details. Here is a picture http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l243/asiapt/20140424_091824_zpsdfc6f23c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had a 8 x 4.5 mtr fiberglass salt water chlorinater pool in Maha Sarakham... 600,000 Baht Finished

Used an Australian guy based near Bangkok (has a Thai company) and his team to do it and surprisingly (for Thailand) it all went to plan and was installed in 3 days! and the concrete surround and sand wash was completed with the week. Message me for his name and details. Here is a picture http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l243/asiapt/20140424_091824_zpsdfc6f23c.jpg

Try PeterPool

Try PeterPool

But he already has a pool... ;)

I have a few questions if that's OK smile.png

Did you get spa jets/pump in for that price?

What brand is the salt water chlorinator? Does it also do Ph balancing automatically?

Does your price include any lights?

What pump, filter and other accessories did you get?

How many sqm of slab & sandwash around the pool was included?

Because fiberglass has angled/stepped sides, they are smaller inside than what they look - how do you find the size of the pool now you actually have it?

What would you do differently now you've had it for a month?

I am back in the UK now so cannot tell you the make of the pump and chlorinator etc. but the lights were about extra (5 or 10 k I think) pump, jets, pool surround 18 inches wide around the whole pool, cleaning brush and vacuum was all included. Extras we paid for separately were the ladder and the pool pump housing and the extra concreting we did.

The size is very acceptable 8 x 4.5 mtrs and does not seem smaller when in the pool. The depth is 1.8 metres at the deep end and the pool does not have angled sides.

Would not do anything differently and am very happy with everything.

HERE IS A SHOT FROM IN THE POOL

20140428_133040_zpsaea86c69.jpg

From the far side overview

SwimmingpoolThailand2s_zps1aa63a66.jpg

• 2 months later...

there is talk on here about a above ground framed pool i have one for my own use 12ft dia x 30 inch deep and have been useing for a few years its great. the best way to get a cheap pool,i take down when i leave and put up when come back.would reccomend framed pool and not inflatable pool.

and also i have another one for sale brand new still in box with pump and chemicals for 6 months if anybody needs one 11000 Bhats live near Sattahip friend went home

Archived