US citizen coming to Thailand without a visa: whats the max I can stay?

1 minute ago, impulse said:

In the OP's situation, I'd be more interested in getting testimonials from current employees of the same school/agency to make sure they are on the up and up, and that they will be paying on time and according to agreed rates and terms.  Also, that his proposed employer will, in fact, do all the WP paperwork.  It's not uncommon for schools/agencies to renege in such details, making life in the Kingdom nerve racking and short.  And it's not specific to Thailand.  I have known dozens of teachers in China whose stay was cut short when they figured out they were getting hosed.

OTOH, lots of people find teaching in Asia to be a rewarding adventure.  Just make sure you know who and what you're dealing with.

Thanks, yes I have verbal confirmation of start dates, payment, WP paperwork being handled for me, etc. I've already had to submit various documents, passport, etc and signed a contract in Thai that I admittedly understood little of, but again, I have faith in the institution to hold true to their word, and one of my Thai friends is currently a professor there. I was invited to give a lecture there last year as a sort of audition for the job, and I had some of the same red flags before I did it (who is organizing this? who do I direct questions to? when do i get paid?) but in the end  those concerns were unfounded. Everything went smoothly, they paid me, then they took me out and we got day drunk over lunch time. 

• Like 1

Thai embassy in dc is very good

Get a visa before u arrive,  than u have 60 days ( + 30 more with  an extension);

You need wait for the school to prepare all the paper work than u will travel to Penang (use JIM or Banana gh to get ur visa, both on chula street) or Vientiane and get ur NON immigrant B visa ( valid for 90 days)  than the school needs apply for ur wp ( dont let them tell you , u dont need one)  than u can extend ur b visa to 1 year exteniosn at immigration in country

Travel safe

30 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

You need a work-permit do to Volunteer work, here.  Yes - seriously.  In theory, it could deny a Thai a paid-position.

Just to reinforce this point to the OP...

Having legal permission to stay in the country is a separate matter from having legal permission to work.

It's a work permit that gives you legal permission to work, not a visa.  If you're here on a visa-exempt entry or an extension of that, that's NOT giving you any kind of legal status to work. It's only giving you permission to be in the country.

The fact that you might not yet have received any salary really doesn't matter to the Thai authorities, since they consider even volunteer work to be work. Just be aware, the longer you do any kind of teaching activity without having a valid work permit, the more you're putting yourself at risk.

BTW, AFAIR, the Thai Consulate in L.A. also does same-day turnarounds for tourist visas, provided you apply in the morning.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomwct said:

You cannot get a work permit on a Tourist Visa. You need to arrive on a Non-B Visa!

A work permit can be applied for with a tourist visa entry but it cannot be issued until you have a non immigrant visa entry.

If working for a company it is not possible to get a non-b visa without a work permit application approval letter at nearby embassies and consulates.

OP, the forum that an earlier poster was referring to is http://www.ajarn.com/ It is a Thai website all about foreigners teaching in Thailand. Lots of useful information.

When you get here, the school/uni will more than likely assist you with the visa. You will more than likely have to leave the country and return on a visa that can have a work permit issued. Can't be issued on and exempt or TV.

Ok, thanks to everyone for all their input, all very useful information. It's a lot to wrap my head around, but it seems I will need to 1) secure a proof of ticket out of the country before I arrive, 2) get all my paperwork with the school taken care of, then 3) leave the country and then return on a non-B visa. 

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to comment, and also to rhodie for the link to the teaching website! Much appreciated

11 minutes ago, Donnythecat said:

Ok, thanks to everyone for all their input, all very useful information. It's a lot to wrap my head around, but it seems I will need to 1) secure a proof of ticket out of the country before I arrive, 2) get all my paperwork with the school taken care of, then 3) leave the country and then return on a non-B visa. 

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to comment, and also to rhodie for the link to the teaching website! Much appreciated

Just to be (a little) pedantic... you'll probably need your 1) above.. proof of onward flight within 30 days before you even leave the US... Most airlines require this if travelling you're planning on using the Visa Exempt entry;  (if you do get refused entry to T/L, then they will have to return you).

You can extend you VE entry by a further 30 days, before you actually need to leave the country.  If your school has sorted out your WP by that time you can leave and return with a non-B.  If you're still waiting, you can return with a tourist visa giving you 60 days plus a further 30 on extension.  Possession of either the non-B or TV  removes the need for an onward flight. 

Good luck..

10 hours ago, lkv said:

Some consulates in the US provide same day service for tourist visa applications.

I believe LA advertises that on their website, but no first-person experience with it.

Just in case no one else mentions it:    If you show up at the airline counter intending a visa-exempt entry into Thailand, and you can't show the airline proof of onward travel from Thailand within the 30days, they may  refuse to board you.   It's more of an airline issue than an issue Thai immigration would likely raise at the arrival counter - but they could.   Your options WRT that are (1) have some cheap, throw-away or refundable ticket to show them, (2) plan on explaining to them (i.e., the airline) what your plans are and hope they'll accept that (maybe ask to see a supervisor or manager), (3) ask if you can sign some kind of waiver letter/affidavit accepting personal responsibility/liability should Thai Immigration refuse you entry, (4) just roll the dice and hope they don't bring it up...   I'm risk averse, so my recommendation in your situation would be #1, but up to you.   Not all airline check-in counters ask all the time and some are naturally going to be more responsive to individual cases than others.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lkv said:

OP, where in the US are you at the moment?

Finally some intelligence. Where is he and what is his definition of "soon"? Could express mail with return postage an application to the nearest consule and have it back in less than a week. Come in on a proper visa leaving plenty of time for the work permit. Thai time is not your country time. Everything takes longer than expected. Get a single entry visa. 

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If they are expecting you to work even one day without a Work-Permit and B-Visa, you should find another place to work.  I am not saying that to be mean - just what I would tell any friend considering this. 

There are many, many teaching opportunities here in Thailand for those who meet the qualifications.  Some schools HR people try to tell people it is "ok" to work for a short-time without a work-permit.  It is not "ok" to do this.  My advise would be to choose an employer who plays by the rules.

Virtually every school in Thailand starts you working while getting the paperwork together. Never seen one school wait  until the teacher had Non-B and WP in hand before starting.

16 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Visa 30 then pal. Whatever, the point is you get in you get stamped and you get in for 30 days. Sounds like a visa type situation to me but a freebie. Anyway you absolute pedant get your nose out my backside and go and mark some books.

15 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Whose we pal you and your Mrs. I'll stick to learning things which interest me and you can read up on the visas. My advice was sound my terminology was not. I expect you to have at least the brain of a 10 year old and be able to work it all out so get to bed it's way past your bedtime sunshine 

Anger issues much? Other posters politely corrected your wrong info, and you respond by throwing your toys out of the pram. Great attitude

Thanks again to everyone for their input. 

Yes, the LA consulate is great, got my METV there last year in one day with no issues at all. The problem is I am now on the east coast near Washington DC, and the consulate there I've called everyday since I've been back to no avail - on their website it says need 3-5 days to process if applying in person with no expediting options, and I fly out in two days. The reason I didn't get a visa in advance is because the school initially assured me it would be fine to come on the 30 day VE while they sorted my paperwork for the work permit, but then last week they told me it might take longer than that. 

Has anyone ever shown up at the airline counter with a bus ticket as onward travel and had it accepted? I'm thinking I might just purchase a green bus ticket to chiang khong as proof of onward travel to Laos, then just trash it. I imagine lots of folks touring SE asia want to play it by ear and not purchase all their various transportation tickets in advance,  with the exception of flights in/out of BKK because it's such a hub - does anyone think that is a legitimate enough excuse for the airlines? 

11 minutes ago, Donnythecat said:

Thanks again to everyone for their input. 

Yes, the LA consulate is great, got my METV there last year in one day with no issues at all. The problem is I am now on the east coast near Washington DC, and the consulate there I've called everyday since I've been back to no avail - on their website it says need 3-5 days to process if applying in person with no expediting options, and I fly out in two days. The reason I didn't get a visa in advance is because the school initially assured me it would be fine to come on the 30 day VE while they sorted my paperwork for the work permit, but then last week they told me it might take longer than that. 

Has anyone ever shown up at the airline counter with a bus ticket as onward travel and had it accepted? I'm thinking I might just purchase a green bus ticket to chiang khong as proof of onward travel to Laos, then just trash it. I imagine lots of folks touring SE asia want to play it by ear and not purchase all their various transportation tickets in advance,  with the exception of flights in/out of BKK because it's such a hub - does anyone think that is a legitimate enough excuse for the airlines? 

This question has been address in this thread 13 hours ago by @hawker9000

Have an exit ticket, or try your luck with the airline to accept you boarding based on you declaring you will be liable for all return costs if refused entry.

You cannot use a bus ticket to exit Thailand if you find yourself in detention in the airport. The bus station is located past Immigration, if that makes sense.

Edited by lkv

5 hours ago, Donnythecat said:

Has anyone ever shown up at the airline counter with a bus ticket as onward travel and had it accepted?

Airlines will normally only accept a airline ticket.

Check Air Asia for flights. Check a few departure airports here for one way flights to Kuala Lumpur. Sometimes you can find them for around 1000 baht.

The return airline ticket is  ONLY really an issue with check in at your airport/airline of departure ( and seems to be mainly a USA airline issue ---never had a problem with it travelling FROM Australia). If it is raised at check-in request politely to talk to a supervisor --the check in staff simply follow pre-determined guidelines.  

Advise the supervisor that your intentions after arriving in Thailand and being granted entry on a visa exempt entry ( as you are entitled to ...and there is NO REASON for it not to happen)....you intend to travel Thailand for 30 days and leave BY LAND to neighbouring countries and then eventually return to USA from one of those countries, but at present your plans are not set in stone .

The airline might ask you to sign a waiver of them having any liability should you NOT be granted entry to thailand.