US citizen coming to Thailand without a visa: whats the max I can stay?

Hi there, I'm heading to Thailand in a few days to take on a teaching position but the school has asked me to arrive first and then we will sort out the work visa. 

I received notice from them just last week that the work visa application process can take up to 60 days, so it looks like the 30 days I'm allotted as an American with no visa may be inadequate. As I'm leaving the USA so soon, I don't have time to secure the 90 day tourist visa. Does anyone have any knowledge about how to max the 30 days, for example can it extended, or can I do a visa run to another country, etc? 

I'm also concerned because my return ticket is in 6 months time, which I'm afraid will make no sense to customs/immigration, or the airline for that matter. Will they even let me in the country with a return this far out and only a 30 day stay? Should I purchase a cheap flight out on AirAsia just so it makes sense on paper? 

Any and all advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I may be wrong but I'm sure you can extend the visa on arrival  (30 day visa) a week before it expires for 1900 baht and get a further 30 days.

I would recommend getting a flight out as proof of departure but in your case I'd recommend just flying out once your 30 day ens and going to penang in majaysia and get a proper 60 day visa which you can also extend a further 30 days for a fee of 1900 baht.

Never taught myself but given the crackdown on non Thais working here I'd recommend you do not mention any plan etc regarding your position given the employer wishes to wait before applying fur your visa.

• Like 2

Thanks for your response Rc2702. I you're right about not mentioning the work situation and just getting the flight out of there now to show them at the airport. I was also thinking of flying to Malaysia because of the cheap AirAsia flights to KL, but now that you mention the Penang/visa option, I think that makes more sense. Have you ever done that before by any chance? Do you know how long it takes to process this visa in Penang, do you think I could just show up at the US consulate with my application/etc and get it day-of? 

I may be wrong but I'm sure you can extend the visa on arrival  (30 day visa) a week before it expires for 1900 baht and get a further 30 days.

You’re right about the extension but it’s called visa waiver and not a visa of any kind per se. Worth mentioning that it also does not allow to perform any kind of work while in the Kingdom.

MFA recommends possessing a round-trip ticket and 10000 baht cash. AirAsia ticket out of the country and USD equivalent of 10K baht should be enough.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Donnythecat said:

Thanks for your response Rc2702. I you're right about not mentioning the work situation and just getting the flight out of there now to show them at the airport. I was also thinking of flying to Malaysia because of the cheap AirAsia flights to KL, but now that you mention the Penang/visa option, I think that makes more sense. Have you ever done that before by any chance? Do you know how long it takes to process this visa in Penang, do you think I could just show up at the US consulate with my application/etc and get it day-of? 

No probs and yes I've done it to penang stayed in Georgetown right by embassy and you can get your visa easily although I and I believe many; use an agent in penang which requires you to be without your passport for 24 hours whilst it's processed.many agents in Georgetown it's a proper little visa industry place. 24 hour turnaround I forget the price but cheap enough and penang is a pretty cool city.you don't go to US consulate you go to thai consulate/embassy.

Edited by Rc2702
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SicTransit said:

You’re right about the extension but it’s called visa waiver and not a visa of any kind per se. Worth mentioning that it also does not allow to perform any kind of work while in the Kingdom.

MFA recommends possessing a round-trip ticket and 10000 baht cash. AirAsia ticket out of the country and USD equivalent of 10K baht should be enough.

Understood by my way is more clear. Visa/VOA 30 visa 60 etc. Just helps eliminate the confusion that surrounds these matters.

Understood by my way is more clear. Visa/VOA 30 visa 60 etc. Just helps eliminate the confusion that surrounds these matters.

Visa on arrival is a completely different thing, costs 2000 baht and is only good for 15 days. Doesn’t apply to the OP’s and the rest 54 lucky countries though.

5 minutes ago, SicTransit said:

Visa on arrival is a completely different thing, costs 2000 baht and is only good for 15 days. Doesn’t apply to the OP’s and the rest 54 lucky countries though.

Visa 30 then pal. Whatever, the point is you get in you get stamped and you get in for 30 days. Sounds like a visa type situation to me but a freebie. Anyway you absolute pedant get your nose out my backside and go and mark some books.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lkv said:

Using clear terminology helps us navigate through these Immigration matters.

We don't expect all the readers to correctly apply all the terminology, but we would expect people providing advice over here to know the difference between a VOA, visa exempt (i.e. no visa) and permission of stay.

Whose we pal you and your Mrs. I'll stick to learning things which interest me and you can read up on the visas. My advice was sound my terminology was not. I expect you to have at least the brain of a 10 year old and be able to work it all out so get to bed it's way past your bedtime sunshine 

Thanks for all your input everyone. I guess now I'm considering my options and trying to figure out the most convenient, cheapest, and quickest way to do this. 

First, is it adequate (if asked at the airport/immigration/customs about my return flight in 2018) if I tell them I will take a car/bus/train out of Thailand before my 30 day visa-on-arrival is up and then return to Thailand just to fly out? Or is having a ticket out of the country within the 30 days to show them absolutely necessary? 

Then, if the case is that I do NOT need to fly out of the country before my 30 days is up but can take other forms of transportation, is Penang the closest/cheapest/most convenient place I can go to get a 60 day visa, or is there somewhere else I could consider driving/flying to from Chiang Mai? I'm concerned that the trip to Malaysia may cut into my teaching obligations. 

Thanks so much for the feedback ya'll

Sorry, just seeing the exchange...err....30 days visa exempt I meant to say. 

Thanks Rc2702, I agree your advice is sound and much appreciated! Also thanks to others for clearing up the terminology for me so I don't screw up at immigration!

3 minutes ago, Donnythecat said:

Thanks for all your input everyone. I guess now I'm considering my options and trying to figure out the most convenient, cheapest, and quickest way to do this. 

First, is it adequate (if asked at the airport/immigration/customs about my return flight in 2018) if I tell them I will take a car/bus/train out of Thailand before my 30 day visa-on-arrival is up and then return to Thailand just to fly out? Or is having a ticket out of the country within the 30 days to show them absolutely necessary? 

Then, if the case is that I do NOT need to fly out of the country before my 30 days is up but can take other forms of transportation, is Penang the closest/cheapest/most convenient place I can go to get a 60 day visa, or is there somewhere else I could consider driving/flying to from Chiang Mai? I'm concerned that the trip to Malaysia may cut into my teaching obligations. 

Thanks so much for the feedback ya'll

Is there not a teachers forum. It sounds like you think the employers will bail you out and get your Visa before your 30 days expires. If they have said 30-60 days to get it then I would not work on any other basis than 60 days. I think there are cheaper options like buses to specific locations but I think the failsafe for you in your situation is:

1. Having proof of departure at arrival.

I never heard anyone show a bus ticket but I guess it could be done if you had advanced copies/tockets prior to arrival.

Maybe cost wise your best option is just a flat 30 day extension for 1900 baht.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donnythecat said:

... is there somewhere else I could consider driving/flying to from Chiang Mai? I'm concerned that the trip to Malaysia may cut into my teaching obligations. ...

If they are expecting you to work even one day without a Work-Permit and B-Visa, you should find another place to work.  I am not saying that to be mean - just what I would tell any friend considering this. 

There are many, many teaching opportunities here in Thailand for those who meet the qualifications.  Some schools HR people try to tell people it is "ok" to work for a short-time without a work-permit.  It is not "ok" to do this.  My advise would be to choose an employer who plays by the rules.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Thanks again for the responses. 

Rc2702, unfortunately there's no teacher forum, I'll be the only foreigner in the department. Also, I have very little faith in the university bailing me out before the 30 days is up. From what I've seen thus far they're a bureaucratic mess and I'm a bit concerned 60 days might not even cut it - that's why I don't think the flat 30 day extension is enough. I'm just wondering if there isn't somewhere else I could go, Laos perhaps, to get a visa. The more I think about it, the more I think your suggestion to fly to Malaysia is the way to go. Would you happen to know if there is any way to get this taken care of in KL? 

lkv, I live in CA but am currently on the east coast visiting family. The DC consulate is where I was going to go but it seems they earned a reputation as the shittiest Thai consulate in the states and the turn around is 3-5 days when applying in person, much longer via mail. Not enough time for that unfortunately!

JackThompson, thanks for the advice, I don't take it as mean at all. I agree that there have been some red flags throughout this process but I am tempering those concerns with the understanding that they do not do things the same as we do them here in the West, and that's just the way it is. Ultimately I trust in the department and am aware they've been doing things like this for a couple years now, so really it's just a matter of getting in and not breaking any rules. 

6 hours ago, Donnythecat said:

You mean showing up at the Thai consulate, since the US consulate does not issue Thai visas. Its easy, pay an agent to go to the consulate express fee applies for next day visa, otherwise if memory serves well it takes 2 days. Georgetown is a pleasure to explore,mand great food.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Donnythecat said:

JackThompson, thanks for the advice, I don't take it as mean at all. I agree that there have been some red flags throughout this process but I am tempering those concerns with the understanding that they do not do things the same as we do them here in the West, and that's just the way it is. Ultimately I trust in the department and am aware they've been doing things like this for a couple years now, so really it's just a matter of getting in and not breaking any rules. 

By not the same as the West, yes, the school may set you up for arrest and deportation and not care.  If you teach here illegally, that is breaking the rules.  Ideally, there would some sort of "temporary work permit" system to try out new hires, but this does not exist. 

While the likelihood of being caught is not high - depending if a 'crackdown' occurs during your stint and that school's "connections" with enforcement agencies  - I wouldn't want to be one of those who experience the brunt of it. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Donnythecat said:

Rc2702, unfortunately there's no teacher forum, I'll be the only foreigner in the department. Also, I have very little faith in the university bailing me out before the 30 days is up. From what I've seen thus far they're a bureaucratic mess and I'm a bit concerned 60 days might not even cut it - that's why I don't think the flat 30 day extension is enough. I'm just wondering if there isn't somewhere else I could go, Laos perhaps, to get a visa. The more I think about it, the more I think your suggestion to fly to Malaysia is the way to go. Would you happen to know if there is any way to get this taken care of in KL? 

lkv, I live in CA but am currently on the east coast visiting family. The DC consulate is where I was going to go but it seems they earned a reputation as the shittiest Thai consulate in the states and the turn around is 3-5 days when applying in person, much longer via mail. Not enough time for that unfortunately!

If you're going to be anywhere near Boston, we have a really great Thai Consulate here, which has issued Visas same day for me (appointment needed though). 

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Actually it's a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigrations. As the name implies, you are exempted from needing a visa, so it's not a "visa type situation." 

I'm not sure if you think you're helping the O/P by throwing about incorrect terms and misinformation.

it's nothing to do with being pedantic, but providing useful information rather than blathering on just to hear yourself making noise.

Pretty well sums up the value of your contribution to the thread.

I actually find myself in total agreement with you , I never imagined that ever happening , I need to lie down now 555

27 minutes ago, Familyaffairs said:

You mean showing up at the Thai consulate, since the US consulate does not issue Thai visas. Its easy, pay an agent to go to the consulate express fee applies for next day visa, otherwise if memory serves well it takes 2 days. Georgetown is a pleasure to explore,mand great food.

Thanks, yes someone just corrected me that it is the Thai and not US consulate I would be going to. Ok, well sounds like it's not a bad option to head to Penang. There's no consulate in Kuala Lumpur that you know of is there? 

20 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

By not the same as the West, yes, the school may set you up for arrest and deportation and not care.  If you teach here illegally, that is breaking the rules.  Ideally, there would some sort of "temporary work permit" system to try out new hires, but this does not exist. 

While the likelihood of being caught is not high - depending if a 'crackdown' occurs during your stint and that school's "connections" with enforcement agencies  - I wouldn't want to be one of those who experience the brunt of it. 

Thanks for your concern, yeah I understand there is a risk and I hope I'm not there for a crackdown either. Who knows, I don't think I'll receive any payment until October (when the work visa should be settled) so maybe there's an argument that I'm not technically working anyways. 

1 minute ago, Donnythecat said:

There's no consulate in Kuala Lumpur that you know of is there?

The Thai embassy is in Kuala Lumpur. The consular section of an embassy issues visas.

KL is not normally recommended for getting any visa recent reports are that they have gotten friendlier.

7 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

If you're going to be anywhere near Boston, we have a really great Thai Consulate here, which has issued Visas same day for me (appointment needed though). 

Thanks, yeah not close enough to make it worth it unfortunately! I'll keep that in mind for the future though.

57 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If they are expecting you to work even one day without a Work-Permit and B-Visa, you should find another place to work.  I am not saying that to be mean - just what I would tell any friend considering this. 

I'm not a teacher, but what you're suggesting is impractical.  It took several months from my arrival to get a work permit approved through the agency that approves them for my specific industry.  Very common practice, and there's no way around it other than sitting on one's unemployed butt for those months.

In the OP's situation, I'd be more interested in getting testimonials from current employees of the same school/agency to make sure they are on the up and up, and that they will be paying on time and according to agreed rates and terms.  Also, that his proposed employer will, in fact, do all the WP paperwork.  It's not uncommon for schools/agencies to renege in such details, making life in the Kingdom nerve racking and short.  And it's not specific to Thailand.  I have known dozens of teachers in China whose stay was cut short when they figured out they were getting hosed.

OTOH, lots of people find teaching in Asia to be a rewarding adventure.  Just make sure you know who and what you're dealing with.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The Thai embassy is in Kuala Lumpur. The consular section of an embassy issues visas.

KL is not normally recommended for getting any visa recent reports are that they have gotten friendlier.

Thanks for the update. So in your opinion, since recent reports say they're friendlier, do you think it may be possible to get a visa relatively easily in KL now? I'm asking because tickets to KL are half the price to Penang on AirAsia, although I've never been to Penang and KL might be pricier to stay a couple nights in...

11 minutes ago, Donnythecat said:

Thanks for your concern, yeah I understand there is a risk and I hope I'm not there for a crackdown either. Who knows, I don't think I'll receive any payment until October (when the work visa should be settled) so maybe there's an argument that I'm not technically working anyways. 

You need a work-permit do to Volunteer work, here.  Yes - seriously.  In theory, it could deny a Thai a paid-position.