Thailand seizes $21 million in assets from dead founder of dark net marketplace AlphaBay

webfact

4 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Wrong

The Thai authorities knew nothing about what he was up to until they were TOLD by the Americans.

The guy had been building this marketplace for years so if the Thai authorities had known about it, wouldn't they have done something about it?

Just waiting for some barstool conspiracy theorist-cum-cyber forensic expert to suggest "they" were letting him build it so they could steal it from him later.

Exactly. 

Thai authorities had no idea until 4 months before his arrest the USA informed them of their information and pending arrested warrant for extradition. It was after that the Thai authorities did some surveillance him upon the request of the dea. 

Thai authorities dont have the most advanced equipment or knowledge to tackle something like this. Sorry to say

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, jabsjabs said:

Exactly. 

Thai authorities had no idea until 4 months before his arrest the USA informed them of their information and pending arrested warrant for extradition. It was after that the Thai authorities did some surveillance him upon the request of the dea. 

Thai authorities dont have the most advanced equipment or knowledge to tackle something like this. Sorry to say

The Thais can't even catch a digital nomad selling crap on eBay - how they gonna catch someone with the technology security smarts required to set up an enterprise of this magnitude?

Thankfully, Thaivisa is chock full of ex-counter-terrorism operatives, munitions experts, diplomatic attaches and espionage agents who've amassed a wealth of experience to back up their assertions.

Comedy gold on here

13 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Regardless of who he was and how he died the moral of the story is......don't die in Thailand if you can avoid it.

The cockroaches and thieves of the RTP and assorted government vultures will be there as fast as you can say "dead" to empty your wallet and take as much of your possessions as they can carry away. Anything left behind they will confiscate and collect later in their pick-up when no one is around. 

Youve obviously never heard of the many western countries whose police forces and agencies will confiscate any thing they can prove to be the proceeds of crime, from criminals all assets houses, cars the lot. Happens everywhere hardly a Thai thing

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Sorry, but anyone who believes there is no foul play here lives in cuckoo land. There's only a certain amount of times a group or institute can do something wrong until your brain starts alerting you that this group or institution cannot be trusted. It's not called being negative - it's called human instinct. We have this instinct as it helps us stay alive and out of danger. We've had it from the beginning of time. It's a survival tool. 

Zero chance this guy accumulated this wealth, showing off his nice big house and cars as a 'farang', without anyone asking questions or sniffing around. It would have been a smart move on his behalf to have so-called 'important people' in his pocket. They get paid to turn a bind eye, or more than likely be in on it, and he gets protected from any prosecution. This is how criminal organizations flourish within a corrupt system. 

You really think he just killed himself this quickly? He didn't want to wait and see if anyone could help him? He had a s*** load of cash and collateral as a bargaining tool. I'd have given it all up to walk. He didn't think to see how it would play out until he took the most drastic action to commit suicide? Here's a man who played the odds in his criminal work and was rewarded handsomely. You don't think he's going to keep trying his hand while in the land of smiles?

Unfortunately for him, the Americans came knocking. And when they ask for a farang to be extradited, the Thais aren't going to say no. No matter how hiso or powerful you think you are here, there is always someone more hiso and powerful. He didn't have the connections to get out of this and he was far too much of a risk to be left to leave the country and spill the beans. 

Expert testimony from international criminal psychologist attached to barstool in Isaan or Pattaya.

You're just repeating idle (and probably drunken) chat you've overheard at the bar.

A business of this nature doesn't require collusion or favours from Thais to operate.

All it needs is a heavyweight internet connection.

He had no need to ingratiate himself to movers and shakers because his business was invisible.

They wouldn't have a clue what he was doing - all they knew was he was a wealthy farang.

There are quite a few of them here.

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

What a country.  Now legalised theft of epic proportions fromm dead people

Yeah cos squeaky clean farang authorities would have passed his wealth on to the executor of his estate for onward transmission to a cat's home, wouldn't they?

The US government absorbs or appropriates illicit wealth every single day, mate.

Farangs are just as dirty

Just now, Thai Ron said:

Yeah cos squeaky clean farang authorities would have passed his wealth on to the executor of his estate for onward transmission to a cat's home, wouldn't they?

The US government absorbs or appropriates illicit wealth every single day, mate.

Farangs are just as dirty

You seem to forget that he "died" in custody,  prior to any trial so hence is  or was innocent until proven guilty.  Appreciate that under the Junta the life expectancy of some remanded people has dropped dramatically, it really is of epic proportions for the Junta to take money that legally is not theirs to take until guilt is proven..

4 minutes ago, inThailand said:

If by chance the local coppers found him out, wouldn't they just take some "I see nothing" money vs turning him in? 

How would they have found him out?

They haven't even upgraded from Windows XP yet

Just now, gummy said:

You seem to forget that he "died" in custody,  prior to any trial so hence is  or was innocent until proven guilty.  Appreciate that under the Junta the life expectancy of some remanded people has dropped dramatically, it really is of epic proportions for the Junta to take money that legally is not theirs to take until guilt is proven..

Mate, If the FBI issue an international warrant for your extradition, it's fair to say they've got you bang to rights.

Innocent until proven guilty is a Western legal concept. Here, it's guilty until proven innocent.

29 minutes ago, inThailand said:

If by chance the local coppers found him out, wouldn't they just take some "I see nothing" money vs turning him in? 

With an international arrest warrant with extradition to the USA. I would hope thai authorities not stupid enough to do what you think. 

This is why the USA "donates" so much money to countries. So they can get what they want when they want it

30 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Mate, If the FBI issue an international warrant for your extradition, it's fair to say they've got you bang to rights.

Innocent until proven guilty is a Western legal concept. Here, it's guilty until proven innocent.

But aren't the FBI now controlled by the Russians ?  alias Donald Trump ?

57 minutes ago, gummy said:

What a country.  Now legalised theft of epic proportions fromm dead people

Dont be so naive this continued attempt to smear Thailand really needs clamping down on. Somchai will not get a single baht for christ sake

1 hour ago, starky said:

Youve obviously never heard of the many western countries whose police forces and agencies will confiscate any thing they can prove to be the proceeds of crime, from criminals all assets houses, cars the lot. Happens everywhere hardly a Thai thing

You obviously didn't read my opening sentence.

2 hours ago, jabsjabs said:

Alexander cazes aka Alphabay founder was active on these forums. 

Username: SiamBeast

Hung himself July 5th I believe, check the last visit on this forum. 

Its been confirmed on Reddit he was active on this forum, pantip, overclock and Roush forums. With some interesting posts from him as well

Check out his build log of "blue pearl" (his 2 million baht computer setup he build and that is in the police photos)  

After he was busted and killed himself, one guy posted in the build thread: "this is the biggest plot twist ever"

Edited forum names

Posts containing links to other forums have been removed:

13) You will not post links to other Thailand forums, or forums which could reasonably be construed as competition to Thaivisa.com or its sponsors.

Posts containing inflammatory comments directed at other members have been removed.

3 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Expert testimony from international criminal psychologist attached to barstool in Isaan or Pattaya.

You're just repeating idle (and probably drunken) chat you've overheard at the bar.

A business of this nature doesn't require collusion or favours from Thais to operate.

All it needs is a heavyweight internet connection.

He had no need to ingratiate himself to movers and shakers because his business was invisible.

They wouldn't have a clue what he was doing - all they knew was he was a wealthy farang.

There are quite a few of them here.

Not in Pattaya nor Issan. Would have been easier to guess I'm in Bangkok considering this is where most expats live based on it's geographical size. 

I'm not drunk and I haven't overheard anyone say anything. I have my own thoughts and can make my own calculations based on my education and the fact I don't have the brain of a conditioned child. You seem to assume that people can't/shouldn't be able to think for themselves. 

His business may well have been 'invisible' but his money wasn't. If you've ever lived in any apartment or moobaan here, you'll know that neighbours gossip. They don't have to know you, but they will gossip about you. Being a young, rich farang with a Lamborghini will definitely raise eyebrows and cause chatter among the locals (hiso or loso).  

There are many rich 'farangs' here. I'm yet to meet one who has a 35 million baht sports car. Maybe because they're way overpriced and 'farangs' see them as a huge waste of money. I've met rich farangs here who have been incredibly smart and savvy, and I've met ones who are thick as s*** and you question to yourself how they made so much money. 

This young man could have killed himself at anytime. There is zero reason to believe he killed himself straight away without even seeing where all this was going. You know - let me speak to my lawyer first, let me call in some favours, let me speak to my wife first maybe and tell her what to do to stay out of trouble. Here is a man who made a lot of money from calculations. You really believe he just accepted his fate as soon as he was in that detention cell and didn't think to maybe wait. Even if he knew for sure the odds were completely against him, human nature and hope alone would have given him reason to 'at least' play it out and see where it was all going.

Again, I don't believe it for a second. 

Edited by rkidlad

36 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Wow, Are you really that "in" with the Thai authorities that you are privy to such info ?

If by the "Thai authorities", you mean the part of the official account which states that the FBI told them what he was up to, asked them to keep an eye on him then eventually served extradition papers then yeah, I guess I was.

Sorry if that contradicts what you overheard at the local soapy.

1 minute ago, Thai Ron said:

If by the "Thai authorities", you mean the part of the official account which states that the FBI told them what he was up to, asked them to keep an eye on him then eventually served extradition papers then yeah, I guess I was.

Sorry if that contradicts what you overheard at the local soapy.

So tell us all what the actual arrest warrant from the FBI is for?

Just now, Thai Ron said:

The details of the outstanding warrants are pretty much laid out allover the media, Columbo

Well, you've assumed I'm stupid. So let's go with this dynamic. Now, what exactly are the warrants for? Please do tell. 

7 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Well, you've assumed I'm stupid. So let's go with this dynamic. Now, what exactly are the warrants for? Please do tell. 

I've not assumed you're stupid.

You're just trying to fill in the "blanks" in the story with elements of your own homegrown conspiracy theory

Just now, Thai Ron said:

I've not assumed you're stupid.

You're just trying to fill in the "blanks" in the story with elements of your own homegrown conspiracy theory

Answer my question. What's the warrant exactly for?