Question about ATMs

Nampa89

Are there any ATMs in Chiang Mai that don't suck your card all the way inside the machine? I've got to say, that it is the stupidest idea ever. I keep getting a "card suspended" from the local ATMs even though my bank back home says its fine and I'm worried that it will eat my card like I've seen before.

None I recall, here or there. Just came from Singapore and every ATM I used there pulled my card all the way in. So they are stupid too?

The stupidest idea ever? You must not get around much or are you a drama queen?

The only place I've been where ATMs don't suck the card in is The Philippines where you can keep hold of the card at all times.

You enter the PIN as the last action too.

Just now, Crossy said:

The only place I've been where ATMs don't suck the card in is The Philippines where you can keep hold of the card at all times.

You enter the PIN as the last action too.

How are the details of your card entered into the machine ?

Just now, sanemax said:

How are the details of your card entered into the machine ?

You push the card into a slot and it reads the mag-stripe as you pull it out, effectively a swipe reader.

To the OP:

Re the "Card Suspended" Message

While I am not in Chiang Mai, that is likely irrelevant. I had the same issue a week or two ago, with a card I had not used in several months. During the intervening time, my home bank had decided not to allow Balance Enquiries on ATM's outside my home country. Naturally, they never told me that.  When I attempted 3 times on the same machine, that also caused my card to be frozen, for all transactions.  Check with your home bank; one or both of these issues may be applicable to you.

Edited by allane
re

16 hours ago, allane said:

To the OP:

Re the "Card Suspended" Message

While I am not in Chiang Mai, that is likely irrelevant. I had the same issue a week or two ago, with a card I had not used in several months. During the intervening time, my home bank had decided not to allow Balance Enquiries on ATM's outside my home country. Naturally, they never told me that.  When I attempted 3 times on the same machine, that also caused my card to be frozen, for all transactions.  Check with your home bank; one or both of these issues may be applicable to you.

It's wise to call and tell your bank if you plan to use your card outside of your resident country.

It did happen to me a few years ago that my card was "eaten". Very irritating. I prefer to -

1. Minimize usage of foreign credit card, using SWIFT transfers to local bank account and then using a local ATM card. 

2. If I do need to withdraw money with that card, I prefer to use an ATM just next to a bank branch, while the branch is open. If it does get "eaten" I can approach the staff there and get my card back with little hassle rather than try to figure out who to call.

Edited by XGM

Presuming your card hasn't been suspended (you claim your bank says it isn't) it has nothing to do with the style of ATM vs an issue with your actual card. 

5 years ago, had 2 cards from NAB in Australia - one would work, the other one wouldn't in Thai ATMs, identification message to you. Bank said there was nothing wrong with either of them, no foreign blocks etc. Turns out it was a problem with the actual card, got a new card sent out, new card worked, problem sorted.