From retirement to work permit

Been in Thailand for 7 years with retirement extension of stay. Now a university has offered me a full-time position. They will sponsor me to get the appropriate visa and the work permit but their admin department doesn't have much experience with this.

Does anyone know the process? I'm almost certain I will have to go out of the country to get 90-day and process the the work permit after I come back. (Similar to what I did when I retired)

Thanks

Edited by Jay1952

I did it a few months ago. You are absolutely right. Your new employer will have to prepare a sheaf of documents which you have to take to a Thai consulate/embassy outside of Thailand. Probably an overnight stay will be required.

9 minutes ago, Jay1952 said:

Does anyone know the process? I'm almost certain I will have to go out of the country to get 90-day and process the the work permit after I come back. (Similar to what I did when I retired)

Correct but it might depend upon which embassy or consulate you go to. Some want the work permit application done first to get a application approval letter for teaching at a university to get the non-b visa.

Thanks for the quick replies. A few more questions

Most likely will do it in KL, How do I find out whether they need the work permit application before or after?

Where can I see the list of docs that the university needs to prepare? At the embassy's site? (I'm worried about arriving there to find out a document is missing!)

Do I have to do something about my current retirement visa/extension BEFORE I leave? or Will the embassy/consulate do it automatically, i.e. cancel it?

Thanks

Edited by Jay1952

Leaving Thailand without having obtained a Re-entry Permit will void your current visa/extension of stay. You need do nothing further than that. The other questions I will leave to those with specific knowledge.

31 minutes ago, Jay1952 said:

Where can I see the list of docs that the university needs to prepare? At the embassy's site? (I'm worried about arriving there to find out a document is missing!)

KL's list of required documents are here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/files/services-20170329-105646-383024.pdf

It mentions work permit you cannot get without the visa. I assume an approval letter would be accepted. It also shows a criminal record check from your home country.

Vientiane' s list is here for you to compare it to. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non-B teacher.pdf

I also had a retirement visa before being offered a teaching job. Assuming I would have to leave the country and re- enter with a Non-B, I booked a hotel in Laos for a couple of nights. As it turned out, the secretary at the school where I am employed told me there was no need for me to leave, and I have received work permits two years in a row, in spite of the fact I am still living here under a retirement visa. 

As this is 'amazing' Thailand, I can only assume that decision about visas are handled on a case by case basis. But, if I were you, I'd ask my future employer to enquire with the Ministry of Education if you could obtain your work visa without having to leave the Kingdom. 

Good luck

• Like 2

17 hours ago, allane said:

Leaving Thailand without having obtained a Re-entry Permit will void your current visa/extension of stay. You need do nothing further than that. The other questions I will leave to those with specific knowledge.

OP needs to be aware that if he has a multi re-entry attached to his extension of stay, he will need to cancel this otherwise he won't be able to void his extension.

On 26/07/2017 at 9:08 AM, allane said:

Sorry for hijacking and off topic but does anyone know how long the "pause" on the extension to stay on retirement is valid when you leave Thailand for overseas?

4 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

Sorry for hijacking and off topic but does anyone know how long the "pause" on the extension to stay on retirement is valid when you leave Thailand for overseas?

Not sure what you mean by pause.

A re-entry permit is valid until the date your extension ends. When you enter using it you will be stamped in to that date.

4 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

As per allane, without a re-entry permit, it is dead and you start over.

With a re-entry permit, all that happens, is your current "permitted until" date remains unchanged.  When you come back, that same date is used as the "permitted until" date of your new stamp.  No days are gained or lost.  If you return after the "permitted until" date which the re-entry permit was preserving, you have to start over.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you mean by pause.

A re-entry permit is valid until the date your extension ends. When you enter using it you will be stamped in to that date.

Thanks UJ, as my extension to reside based on retirement expires Feb 18, as long as I come back before then I will not have invalidated my extension of stay . 

Much clearer now  thanks for the info and info and apologies for the hijack.

• 2 weeks later...

Slight off topic, but I have a case whereby the guy is on a retirement annual extension, but will soon be undertaking PhD studies at a Thai university as a student. The university said they would arrange an Education Visa for him, but unsure whether he could undertake studies on a Retirement extension instead. Conventional wisdom would be that when you retire, you would generally be involved in leisure and relaxation and not study...therefore he should cancel his Retirement extension and obtain a Education Visa?

3 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

Slight off topic, but I have a case whereby the guy is on a retirement annual extension, but will soon be undertaking PhD studies at a Thai university as a student. The university said they would arrange an Education Visa for him, but unsure whether he could undertake studies on a Retirement extension instead. Conventional wisdom would be that when you retire, you would generally be involved in leisure and relaxation and not study...therefore he should cancel his Retirement extension and obtain a Education Visa?

No problem to study or attend school to with an extension based upon retirement or any other visa or extension of stay.

• Like 1