Racism and Bigotry Among Thailand Expats

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Been there done that said:

Hitler tried, and succeeded for a while, to unite Germany too.

So your point is ?

What on earth is YOUR point?

(where's the "get over it you weren't even alive then" emoticon when you really want it?)

4 hours ago, Ahab said:

Sure, whatever you say. Heaven forbid someone else has an opinion that differs from your own and wanted to share as it related to the original post.

Opinions, yes.

Made up inflammatory gibberish, no.

:coffee1:

2 hours ago, Been there done that said:

Hitler tried, and succeeded for a while, to unite Germany too.

So your point is ?

Purposely driven toward division....In many ways as to  incite racism .....

Question asked & point deservedly answered.....

Best to leave it at that as it starts straying away & is about one specific country...

7 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Is it only me that hasn't a clue what the Posters on this this page are talking about? It s meant to be a forum in English. And so far removed from the OP's interesting thread.

It is a shame that posters try to ruin these threads and sway them completely off topic. Quite a few are trying to divert this into political debates relating to other countries and historical events relating to past history and luckily no one is taking the bait.

These are the people I suspect are the ones that have the racist and bigoted opinions, only no one is giving them a platform to do so.

Jeez, 17 pages and still going strong, glad it is a slow night in JomTien, this is comical  educational.  All these non-Americans telling us how it really is in America having never lived there.:sorry:

15 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Jeez, 17 pages and still going strong, glad it is a slow night in JomTien, this is comical  educational.  All these non-Americans telling us how it really is in America having never lived there.:sorry:

Some of us have actually walked amongst them in their native habitat.

SC

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:13 PM, Rc2702 said:

The funniest ones are the guys who bare children to thai women then slag off non whites or blame their countries take on immigrants and yet they are pretty much in the same boat as the people they complain about.

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, TheLobster said:

Funniest ones are those that think guys can bear children :wink:

I have a Thai wife and support her, immigrants are generally different, they come expecting housing and benefits.

My thoughts exactly, give examples or don't post in the first place. Pretty poor excuse really. I mix with a fair few ex-pats here and I would say that they swing more to the right than left wing but to call them bigoted and racist is pathetic. Most are disappointed with the direction their country is going, for example German friends and Germany.

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, Rc2702 said:

Lobster, an immigrant is simply a person who lives permanently  in a foreign country. - debatable yes but the differential is very little and whilst you may not have the opportunity to claim benefits you very likely do not contribute to upkeep and maintenance of the country unless of course you count supporting your wife - hope not. So you kind of do get a free ride if that is your position.

23 hours ago, TheLobster said:

You seem like a bit of an ignorant twit from your post, but I'll give you a chance to explain before unloading both barrels. Where is my free ride?

23 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

The pavements you walk on fix themself? Sonny ignorance and twit should be tattooed on your forehead with your weak ramblings get to bed.

I pay tax in the UK and council tax in the UK. Any more bigotry from you on a forum that complains about racism and bigotry amongst ex-pats? Sonny :wink: 

Just wondering when the Vatican will be processing your canonization application. You sound a bit too good to be true.

Bazza your spot on! She turns every thread into a chance to go on and on about how everyone loves her, how they say she's Thai, oh this time she never mentioned how perfect she speaks Thai!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, TheLobster said:

I pay tax in the UK and council tax in the UK. Any more bigotry from you on a forum that complains about racism and bigotry amongst ex-pats? Sonny :wink: 

I pay tax in the UK too and corporation tax and yes I also pay council tax but actually your a bit dim it would seem as where you pay tax is irrelevent and the point that got your goat is the fact you think an immigrant is one that gets handouts but your wrong and the fact you do not pay tax in thailand means your getting a handout from thailand as we all are really so whatever you coin it your an immigrant if you live in thailand. 

You call that both barrels I call that the 2nd weakest argument ever on TV, your earlier comment was the 1st.

13 hours ago, Been there done that said:

What to expect from a nation of people who voted Trump into office.

Except this type of incoherency is from the left, and they are the half of the population that did not vote for Trump.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have actually read some saying that only "white" people are racist :cheesy:.

Only people that are highly educated in college with advanced degrees and extremely knowledgeable in their specialized field of "black studies" or "race relations" could possible say something so incredibly stupid. Hard to believe, but there are people who believe this type of garbage.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have actually read some saying that only "white" people are racist :cheesy:.

I believe, and I might be wrong, that it is not possible for a black person of colour to be racist against a white. That there is no legal equivalent. Seems a tad unfair as 'non-coloured persons lives matter' too.

28 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Except this type of incoherency is from the left, and they are the half of the population that did not vote for Trump.

Not exactly.  Trump lost the popular vote by a margin of 2.1%, or 2.9 million votes.  So technically, a bit OVER half the population did not vote for Trump.

14 minutes ago, Ahab said:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/34091/

This is the kind of drivel that you said is made up and untrue.

Well, you certainly got the "drivel" part right (as in, that source is drivel):

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-college-fix/

On 7/28/2017 at 7:10 AM, Ahab said:

It was a rhetorical flourish to depict the attitudes of many on the left in the USA. Things such as baseless accusations of "white privilege" (with no evidence), trigger warnings, and accusations of micro-aggressions are what the word "racism" have sadly become in many/most instances in my home country. So unless you are a neo-Nazi, adherent of white supremacy, or a member of the KKK being called a racist is mostly a baseless and meaningless accusation designed to silence and bully. That being said there are lessor forms of racism than these extreme examples and than is why examples of the kinds of statements the OP attributed to expats in Thailand would be useful in this thread. 

Indeed but you cannot reason with Ireason nor Cyberfarang who started this troll thread they just want to show off their 'PC credentials' it makes them feel smug don't you know? They are luring posters to disagree so the PC trap snaps shut proving that you are, after all, a racist. When the truth is that we all have views and opinions on humanity but we have to learn to live together in some sort of harmony.

To me there are two vicious sides. The PC 'superior breed' who think they are better than 99% of the posters on here and delight in trolling and pointing out the 'righteousness' of their lives and the nasty right wing scum who are actually racist and hate just about everything. Both are loathsome and to be avoided. TVF gives the PC brigade far too much rope in my view and this thread is just click bait for the 'righteous'. Troll thread!

Edited by binjalin

1 hour ago, Chou Anou said:

Well, you certainly got the "drivel" part right (as in, that source is drivel):

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-college-fix/

Thanks for the link, but what part of the article wasn't true?  It is good to know that a source leans right (or left) but just because it leans to the right does not automatically make it drivel. Any more than if a media organization leans left it's reporting is drivel. 

Edited by Ahab
Added comments for clarity

I do lean right on many issues, but racism is not a strictly right OR left issue. Many people in the USA vote left but have views on race that are repugnant and the same goes for the right. But in neither case is it a majority and in most cases issues such as immigration have little to do with race and may be an issue with people who do not wish to be a part of the society that they have emigrated to. I have met very few open racists among the expats I have met here in Thailand, maybe it depends on where and with who you associate with?

Edited by Ahab
add text

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/34091/

This is the kind of drivel that you said is made up and untrue.

Still waiting for you to justify this erroneous, OTT, baseless gibberish:

On July 27, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Ahab said:

I am from America and because I was born white, I am now considered a racist by many on the left in my country.

On July 27, 2017 at 7:11 PM,  Ahab said: 

You would have to ask them why they consider all whites racist.

"Whiteness means a specific power apparatus that exists at the expense of the disempowerment of black people.

To be white in the U.S. is to be a perpetuator of the power apparatus unless one actively and consistently resists.

It is possible, perhaps necessary, to acknowledge one’s personal implications in the white power apparatus."

(*My underlining and emphasis added)

Outside of the wildly hyperbolic and misleading title of the opinion piece;

I think what the professor states above, is quite accurate.

And of course, unlike you, she does not make blanket, all encompassing statements.

2 hours ago, binjalin said:

Indeed but you cannot reason with Ireason nor Cyberfarang who started this troll thread they just want to show off their 'PC credentials' it makes them feel smug don't you know?

They are luring posters to disagree so the PC trap snaps shut proving that you are, after all, a racist.

When the truth is that we all have views and opinions on humanity but we have to learn to live together in some sort of harmony.

To me there are two vicious sides.

The PC 'superior breed' who think they are better than 99% of the posters on here and delight in trolling and pointing out the 'righteousness' of their lives and the nasty right wing scum who are actually racist and hate just about everything.

Both are loathsome and to be avoided.

TVF gives the PC brigade far too much rope in my view and this thread is just click bait for the 'righteous'. Troll thread!

I think it's quite apparent where your "irreproachable", self-congratulatory sentiments lie.

12 minutes ago, iReason said:

I think it's quite apparent where your "irreproachable", self-congratulatory sentiments lie.

18 minutes ago, iReason said:

Still waiting for you to justify this erroneous, OTT, baseless gibberish:

On July 27, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Ahab said:

I am from America and because I was born white, I am now considered a racist by many on the left in my country.

On July 27, 2017 at 7:11 PM,  Ahab said: 

You would have to ask them why they consider all whites racist.

"Whiteness means a specific power apparatus that exists at the expense of the disempowerment of black people.

To be white in the U.S. is to be a perpetuator of the power apparatus unless one actively and consistently resists.

It is possible, perhaps necessary, to acknowledge one’s personal implications in the white power apparatus."

(*My underlining and emphasis added)

Outside of the wildly hyperbolic and misleading title of the opinion piece;

I think what the professor states above, is quite accurate.

And of course, unlike you, she does not make blanket, all encompassing statements.

Holy cow! Some people (not specified in this particular post) can be slightly delusional, "and of course, unlike you, she does not make blanket, all encompassing statements."  The statement "To be white in the U.S. is to be a perpetuator of the power apparatus" is not at all "all encompassing". This has got to be the troll post of the century, please, please, have a great day.

Perhaps you (and I) should follow the quote attached to your postings

Edited by Ahab
add text

20 minutes ago, Ahab said:

The statement "To be white in the U.S. is to be a perpetuator of the power apparatus" is not at all "all encompassing".

"To be white in the U.S. is to be a perpetuator of the power apparatus 

unless one actively and consistently resists."

Pathetic dodge, deflection and truncating of a quote.
Nice try. NOT.

Edited by iReason