Hospital thief nabbed after wife sells the family buffalo to pay for her dying husband's cancer care

webfact

Hospital thief nabbed after wife sells the family buffalo to pay for her dying husband's cancer care

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Police in Roi-Et have announced the arrest of a man preying on vulnerable victims at hospitals in the North East of Thailand.

The thief admitted to 19 thefts saying he spent his money on women.

Apichart Chaiprapa, 25, was arrested on a warrant after enjoying himself at Room 7 in the Si Som resort in Mahasarakham.

He had been spending some of the proceeds from a theft at the end of June from a villager who was sleeping at Roi-Et Hospital where her husband was terminally ill.

Jan Sakaet, 54, reported to police after being robbed of 48,000 baht from a bag she was clutching while sleeping outside the room of her husband Somsri, aged 60.

She had sold the family buffalo to get the money to take care of him.

The next day he died.

Police investigations from CCTV led them to believe that the thief was also responsible for a theft at a hospital in Yasothorn and a warrant for the arrest of Apichart was issued.

The thief admitted to 11 thefts in Roi-Et Hospital, four in Mukdahan, two in Yasothorn and two in Mahasarakham. All the victims were targeted in hospitals.

He said he blew the money on women and when it was finished he just went to get some more.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-27

Just now, kannot said:

seems  perfectly reasonable...........to him

Scum of the earth.. thieves usually are (corrupt people too they are as low as thieves). I really hate thieves, people work hard for their money and then you got somebody like that stealing it and leading the easy life. Scum.

1 minute ago, quadperfect said:

If thats a picture of a thai hospital in the north then please god let me die before ever setting foot in a place like that.

Living like rats in a cage.

looks  more like a  waiting room and them sleeping on the  floor but.....who  knows?

5 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

If thats a picture of a thai hospital in the north then please god let me die before ever setting foot in a place like that.

If you look closely at the photo, they are relatives sleeping outside the ward, not patients.

What you see is something that happens every night in most government hospitals.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:
22 minutes ago, webfact said:

The thief admitted to 19 thefts saying he spent his money on women

...and the rest he just wasted.

I always wonder what in the world possesses these guys to confess not only to the crime caught on CCTV, but to many others.  It's a little incredible to believe he actually kept count all the way to 19, as I'd think they all run together after a dozen or so.

I'm thinking "enhanced interrogation" in an attempt to close a lot of cases all at once, but I hope I'm wrong...

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

I always wonder what in the world possesses these guys to confess not only to the crime caught on CCTV, but to many others.

They get a reduced sentence if they confess as it boosts the polices crimes solved rate without any effort. True

Edited by sinbin

Just now, sinbin said:

They get a reduced sentence if they confess as it boosts the polices crimes solved rate without any effort.

That explains confessing to the one they're in for, but the other 18 where there's no evidence?  Can't imagine they'd get a lighter sentence for 19 than they would for one.  But that wouldn't be the most vexing thing I've heard here.

1 minute ago, sinbin said:

They get a reduced sentence if they confess as it boosts the polices crimes solved rate without any effort. True

Trying to see it logically then, I wonder how many crimes he'd need to confess to get avoid any jail time?

1 minute ago, impulse said:

That explains confessing to the one they're in for, but the other 18 where there's no evidence?  

It doesn't matter. He will get a reduced sentence. This is Thailand.

Just now, sinbin said:

That's illogical as he has to do some time. The reduced sentence is his reward for being cooperative and confessing.

But the formula is (AFAIK), he gets half the sentence cut if he confesses to the crime.  Does he get more reduction if he confesses to 18 more crimes?  And is that half off 19 sentences?

Or do they just turn off the sparky machine in the interrogation room when they think they have enough?  (Okay, I made that up... but you get the point)

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

But the formula is (AFAIK), he gets half the sentence cut if he confesses to the crime.  Does he get more reduction if he confesses to 18 more crimes?  And is that half off 19 sentences?

AFAIK it's a bit like plea bargaining. He really doesn't know what he's going to get until he goes in front of the judge. He just has to take his chances in confessing/cooperating to get the lightest sentence. 

1 hour ago, impulse said:

That explains confessing to the one they're in for, but the other 18 where there's no evidence?  Can't imagine they'd get a lighter sentence for 19 than they would for one.  But that wouldn't be the most vexing thing I've heard here.

The police probably have 18 unsolved cases. If he confesses to them all their job is done. He co operates and walks free . Cops work done for 19 not 1 and criminal gets off scot free as payment.

8 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Jan Sakaet, 54, reported to police after being robbed of 48,000 baht from a bag she was clutching while sleeping outside the room of her husband Somsri, aged 60.

8 hours ago, sinbin said:

Bluesofa

That's illogical as he has to do some time. The reduced sentence is his reward for being cooperative and confessing.

Same as every country in the world not just Thailand