Australia urges China to do more on North Korea threat

webfact

Australia urges China to do more on North Korea threat

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs Julie Bishop talks during a meeting with her Sri Lankan counterpart Ravi Karunanayake at the bilateral meeting in Colombo, Sri Lanka July 19, 2017. REUTERS/Dinuka Liyanawatte

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop called on China on Thursday to do more to contain the threat of North Korea's nuclear and missile programs.

North Korea, which has warned Australia could be the target of a strike, test-launched its first intercontinental ballistic missile earlier this month, which experts say could put all of Alaska in range for the first time.

The United States and Australia have both indicated growing impatience with China, North Korea's sole major ally, and Bishop said there was much more that China could do.

"China is North Korea's major financial backer. It has much more leverage over North Korea than it claims," she told the Australian Broadcasting Corp's Radio National.

"The export relationship with North Korea, the provision of remittance to workers, the foreign investment flows, the technology flows - these are all in China's hands," she said.

North Korea has been under U.N. sanctions since 2006 over its ballistic missile and nuclear programs and the Security Council has ratcheted up measures in response to five nuclear weapons tests and two long-range missile launches.

Frustrated that China has not done more to rein in North Korea, the United States could impose new sanctions on Chinese firms doing business with Pyongyang, senior U.S. official have said.

China has rejected the criticism and urged a halt to what it called the "China responsibility theory", saying all parties needed to pull their weight.

(Reporting by Swati Pandey; Editing by Richard Pullin)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-27

27 minutes ago, car720 said:

Too right mate.

Does she really think that anyone takes anything they say  seriously?

What will they do build an Asian proof fence?

The Don still has got his foundations laid yet.

Asia proof fence?  A bit late, just walk around Melbourne and it's spot the Anglo.  I'm Chinese decent, my grandfather married an Irish Australian and chinese are everywhere.

53 minutes ago, retarius said:

China cannot be held responsible for the actions of another sovereign nation....that's the great thing about sovereignty, you can do things without asking the hegemon. 

No but China is IMHO the only nation capable of reining in the chubby dictator peacefully.

5 minutes ago, car720 said:

They are too busy making money to worry about all the other BS.

not the farmers in my farming province; poor and deeply in debt; so much so that i cant see them Ever getting out of debt

Edited by YetAnother

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:38 AM, retarius said:

China cannot be held responsible for the actions of another sovereign nation....that's the great thing about sovereignty, you can do things without asking the hegemon. 

Neither does China have any ethical standing to reign in their rogue protégé.   China can't very well annex the entire S. China Sea which THEY want, and then turn around and start telling fatboy what he can and cannot have...   If anything, fatboy is following his role model's we-do-what-suits-us example.

On 7/27/2017 at 3:38 PM, retarius said:

NK does 90% of their trade with China.  China has a huge influence over NK.  They are just afraid if problems arise, they'll have a refugee crisis on their border.  This quote is very appropriate:

“For evil men to accomplish their purpose, it is only necessary that good men do nothing,” quoting the Rev. Charles F. Aked.

On 7/28/2017 at 8:56 AM, car720 said:

Hey,  long time no see.  Where have you been?

I am married to a Chinese woman and live in Sichuan.

Apart from all the obfuscation I  have never encountered any serious problems with the folks here.  They are too busy making money to worry about all the other BS.

My neighbor's son just left China after some 15 years there.  Married to a Chinese lady.  Couldn't take it any more.  He said the racism against their kid was horrible.  They're in Canada now.

Hmm, so the US decided to roll at the Oz Barking Poodle, things must really be serious. Good thing about Julie's job as Foreign Minister is that she doesn't need to have a view on anything, its all faxed in from Washington. She just need practice her yapping and of course her infamous "death stare" is feared by all.

China and most countries well know to ignore Aussie politicians, who seriously considers the opinion of a lap dog, why bother, might as well just tune into the master and get it from the source.

7 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Hmm, so the US decided to roll at the Oz Barking Poodle, things must really be serious. Good thing about Julie's job as Foreign Minister is that she doesn't need to have a view on anything, its all faxed in from Washington. She just need practice her yapping and of course her infamous "death stare" is feared by all.

China and most countries well know to ignore Aussie politicians, who seriously considers the opinion of a lap dog, why bother, might as well just tune into the master and get it from the source.

Just a wee bit cynical, eh? LOL

18 minutes ago, car720 said:

This can be true but I have one thing working for me.

I am a major racist myself with a supremist  attitude as well as a healthy appetite for narcissism.

Everything that the Chinese look for in a god.

:cheesy::clap2::coffee1::biggrin:

If you read my post, it was their child that was getting the abuse.  Unacceptable.  Hopefully, you agree with that.

As for the adults, they got tired of the bad water, dodgy government officials and terrible air.  Can't blame them.