Apple TV shown as unavailable on Apple Store

Felipesed

Within the last 2 weeks, the Apple TV is suddenly shown as unavailable on the Apple Thailand store.

Interestingly, there are none shown on Lazada as well.  They were there last week.

The product is still available on the HongKong Apple store, so this is obviously a Thailand-specific issue.

Possibly something to do with the Government wanting to license some carriers of video content?

Anyone have more information?

Edited by Felipesed

I'm guessing it could be related to the NBTC announcement seeing as the Apple TV was specifically included in the document.  Can't think of any other reason.  I see that it's just not available for purchase, it hasn't been taken down.  Maybe Apple are in correspondence with the NBTC over what they need to do, if anything.  

All well and good the NBTC getting involved in the regulation of these boxes, typical knee-jerk response IMO, not sure whether the bright spark that dreamed the idea up has considered the fact that software and apps that allow what they're seemingly trying to regulate can be installed on computers, in proportions that I would suspect WAY outnumber the box installs.  Bit of a Homer moment - DOH!!

• 2 months later...

Still unavailable I see, both the old and new version.  The box is there but the buy option is faded out.  I can't think of any reason other than the NBTC 'decision' that the ATV would disappear from the online store.  Not been into one of the Apple 'authorised' (authorised meaning counts for squat if you have a problem) stores here but it would be interesting to see if they have stock on the shelves, I guess not.  Welcome to Thailand 4.0!!  

Edited by SooKee

Saw the 'old' regular ATV4 on sale in a Powerbuy a few days ago - am waiting for the new one to be released in Thailand.

Would be surprised if it's an NBTC issue... but truly you never know what level of stupidity they might sink to.

ps come to think of it - have a friend over in UK at the mo'... should ask him to bring one back for me as it's out in the UK.

Edited by coops

Well, the ATV vanished from the online store a few days after the NBTC announcement about licenses being required to import, stock for sale etc, and hasn't re-appeared since in any flavour so I'm less sure it's not the NBTC issue.