Rolled over: Phuket officials dally over push for Patong taxi, tuk-tuk parking spaces

webfact

Rolled over: Phuket officials dally over push for Patong taxi, tuk-tuk parking spaces

The Phuket News

1501127835_1-org.jpg

Tuk-tuks and taxis continue to dominate street parking spaces in Patong, spaces the authorities are wavering over when and how they should regain control of. Photo: The Phuket News

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong this week would not confirm or deny any imminent action pending against van, taxi and tuk-tuk drivers commandeering parking spaces in Patong, despite a senior Army officer in Phuket last Friday (July 21) revealing that the drivers had until this coming Thursday (Aug 3) to clear the curbs.

Gov Norraphat and all Vice Governors involved also declined to comment on an emergency meeting of the Public Transportation Management Committee (PPTC) held at Phuket Provincial Hall on Wednesday (July 26), starting at 8am.

The silence follows the same influential committee delaying the deadline for the Patong drivers to relinquish their tightly controlled “parking spaces” – aka “taxi stands” or “ranks” – not once, but twice already: first on May 24, then again on July 3.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/rolled-over-phuket-officials-dally-over-push-for-patong-taxi-tuk-tuk-parking-spaces-63207.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-28

I used to enjoy visiting Patong years ago. I liked to stay on Nanai rd and rent a motorbike. on my most recent trip, I found it difficult to find anyplace to park because the tuk tuks completely dominate the beach rd and Rat-U Thit. Same thing is true if you try to ride over from Karon or Kata. You get to Patong and face hostility from tuk tuk drivers. I think I'll give Phuket a pass.

21 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

How about taking the licenses from all the illegal ones? I mean the ones with the entry at the end, not on the side? That might clean up a bit, in the picture above 3 of 4 would be gone.

Other way around. Side entry is illegal except for Phuket Town (I think).

Back when the coup happened and the Army took over, all these thugs disappeared like cockroaches.  All we need is some heavy handedness combined with a real show of force and these scumbags will succumb for the time being until the pressure is off.  Then they'll return unless some serious penalties are in place and actually enforced.