Certified copies at Uk embassy and Mfa questions.

Hi all,

I'm going to get a certified copy of my passport needed as part of the process to get my yellow book (Chanthaburi immigration office no longer issue residence certificates) which will enable me to upgrade my 2 year thai driving licence to a 5 year one and have a couple of questions.

1. My appointment with the Uk embassy is in the morning, do they give you the certified copy on the same day?

2. I already have a translation of my passport done in Chanthaburi, would this suffice as the copy I bring to the ministry of foreign affairs along with my passport and certified copy to have them legalized or do I have to do another translation in Bangkok after receiving the certified copy from the Uk embassy?

3. As part of proof of address for the Uk embassy I will show my Thai driving licence which has expired 2 weeks ago, will this be ok as I believe there is a grace period?

4. Finally, is there car or bike parking available at the mfa consular section?

many thanks for all answers,

Tdm

1. They do it while you wait.

2. If it has a stamp on done by a translation service it will be accepted.

3. They should accept it since an address not change when the drivers license expires.

4. Yes The satellite view on this map shows a lot of parking. https://goo.gl/maps/DMz6ymET3RG2

It may help to have a look at the flow chart here for the legalization process (click to enlarge). http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/71860-ขั้นตอนการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร---Legalization-Proc.html

To avoid waiting around for the certification of the translation you can have it sent by EMS to you.

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, tdm said:

I'm going to get a certified copy of my passport needed as part of the process to get my yellow book (Chanthaburi immigration office no longer issue residence certificates) which will enable me to upgrade my 2 year thai driving licence to a 5 year one and have a couple of questions.

Two questions in one there.

Only a certified translation of your passport should be required as part of the process to obtain a Yellow Tabien Baan.

Are you obtaining a CofR from the Embassy regards your DL renewal?

Police stations and Provincial Thesabans can also issue Residence certificates.

Concur about getting a resident certificate at the Tessabaan, I have done it on three licence renewals now. Requires marriage certificate and passport, plus with wife in tow. The form is free, just about all written out in Thai script, plus it is for all foreigners married to Thais, there were 2 Myanmar men in the office getting the same certificate. 

As an aside we have a female Mayor who runs this town, I know her fairly well, always at wedding, funerals etc here. She signs off the certificate.

Edited by phutoie2
P*ss poor spelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Concur about getting a resident certificate at the Tessabaan, I have done it on three licence renewals now. Requires marriage certificate and passport, plus with wife in tow. The form is free, just about all written out in Thai script, plus it is for all foreign ets married to Thais, there were 2 Myanmar men in the office getting the same certificate. 

As an aside we have a female Mayor who runs this town, I know her fairly well, always at wedding, funerals etc here. She signs off the certificate.

I obtained two CofR's on the same day from my local Police Station, only because it was closer and more convenient.

One to purchase a vehicle, one to get my first Thai DL.

Didn't need a CofR at the Provincial Thesaban to obtain my Yellow Tabien Baan.

Translated passport and copies of my landladies TB and ID, plus her attendance to sign the form, was enough.

I concur with Ubonjoe… the British Embassy will certify a copy of your passport whilst you wait. 

You mentioned that you already have a copy of your passport translated… Does that include the notation which the Embassy will endorse on the copy?   If it doesn’t, then that needs to be included within the translation that you hand in at the Legalisation Department of the Consular Section of MFA. 

FYI…. There is a translation ‘shop’ on the 2nd floor of the Consular Section right in front of you as you go up the escalator… cost about 400BHt per page (100 words) and done in a about 30 minutes – the people who work in the shop also work in the MFA, so it’s very unlikely that there will be any problem with the certified translation.

FYI – The Legalisation Department is on the 3rd floor.  From the entrance foyer take the escalator up to the first 2nd floor.  As you get off the escalator, slightly to your left you will see a stair case which you take to the 3rd floor.  As you reach the top of these stairs to your left you will see a desk which has a basket of application forms.  You will need to complete a form. The link below is to the form if you want to fill it in before going to save timehttps://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.th&sl=th&sp=nmt4&u=http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/form/1405/21210-%25E0%25B8%2584%25E0%25B8%25B3%25E0%25B8%25A3%25E0%25B9%2589%25E0%25B8%25AD%25E0%25B8%2587%25E0%25B8%2582%25E0%25B8%25AD%25E0%25B8%25A3%25E0%25B8%25B1%25E0%25B8%259A%25E0%25B8%25A3%25E0%25B8%25AD%25E0%25B8%2587%25E0%25B9%2580%25E0%25B8%25AD%25E0%25B8%2581%25E0%25B8%25AA%25E0%25B8%25B2%25E0%25B8%25A3.html&usg=ALkJrhj1phK-zSkgT5eCO2bP5yhAWN1ueA

Then follow the FlowChart which Ubonjoe provided earlier.

Cost of legalisation is 200BHT per page.  You can collect in 2 days or get them to EMS the docs back to you at a small extra fee.  If you want it back the same day you must submit the documents before 09:30am (to collect after 2:30pm) and it will cost 400Baht per page.

When you hand your documents over at the initial checking counter, they will ask you for a copy of your passport (photo page) and a copy of your visa stamp extra to the documents that you are submitting… so I suggest that you take extra copies with you otherwise you will find yourself going back down to the 2nd floor to the photocopying shop.

FYI – The Consular Section of MFA is open at 07:30am and closes at 4:00pm…. The Legalisation Section which you need opens for business at 08:30am and closes at 4:00pm (lunch is 12:00 – 1:00pm).

There is a large car park around the building, but be advised that you need to be there early to get a space as it’s used by staff and visitors otherwise you may find yourself going around several time trying to find a space.  You may be luckier if you are on a motorbike.

Personally if I was going to the British Embassy in the morning I would walk back to Phloen Chit and get the BTS to Mo Chit, then get a taxi to the Consular Section – cost about 120/140 Baht depending upon traffic.

Hope that helps – based upon my experience last week.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

When you hand your documents over at the initial checking counter, they will ask you for a copy of your passport (photo page) and a copy of your visa stamp extra to the documents that you are submitting… so I suggest that you take extra copies with you otherwise you will find yourself going back down to the 2nd floor to the photocopying shop.

Maybe doesn't apply to the OP,  but could to someone else reading this thread later ... with regard to MFA Policies: I was told one must have 15 days minimum "permission to stay" left on your current stamp, or the MFA won't accept the job.  This was told to me by a translation-service, so policies might differ in-person. 

Edited by JackThompson

Many thanks all for the helpful replies.

Joe, the translation has a stamp on it by a translation company but as 007 red indicated it doesn't include the notation that the embassy endorse on the translation so I shall rectify that, 007 red, your recent info is much appreciated.

Tanoshi, the district office has advised us that the certified translation from the uk embassy must be legalised by the mfa before applying for the yellow book, I know this can vary from district to district. I won't pay the embassy for the residence certificate, the district office say they will issue the yellow book on the same day I produce all documents, I will then use this at the department of transport when renewing the licence. I also found out the grace period on the expired licence is one year.

The local police station here don't do the residence certificates, also the Mrs rang the Tessaban who also say they won't be able to do it for us. Things do change I guess as up to a couple of months ago I was able to get residence certificates from immigration quite easily.

No worries, it's a good excuse to ride my bike to Bangkok for a couple of days.

Cheers

Tdm

Edited by tdm
extra info