Motorbike umbrellas can pose a danger, says Thai official

webfact

16 minutes ago, halloween said:

But tilting them up 45 degrees stops them dragging on the ground.

They never hit the ground ,even at the most extreme corners.I did have somebody in a car back into it when parked and crack the rocker cover .After that got crash guards fitted .

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a stupid idea, new product just somebody trying to make money, with no thought given to safety.

Those things should be sold with a health warning....Using 1 of these is dangerous to your health and well being.

Like anyone of them would take the slightest bit of notice.

4 hours ago, anto said:

I lived for 20 years plus in the UK and never saw a Quasar .Saw several BMX C1 though .

Quasar production was tiny because the company was basically a two man band. The Reliant engine Quasar can top 100mph and return up to 90mpg. The later ones with a motorcycle engine were much faster but used more fuel. They're surprisingly easy to ride but not a runabout like the C1. They can take a slim passenger sitting behind the rider. The C1 passenger sits behind the bodywork and might wish to wear a bag on their head to avoid embarrassment :) . I would think if you could find a Quasar for sale it would cost an arm and leg because of its collectability.

8 minutes ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

Quasar production was tiny because the company was basically a two man band. The Reliant engine Quasar can top 100mph and return up to 90mpg. The later ones with a motorcycle engine were much faster but used more fuel. They're surprisingly easy to ride but not a runabout like the C1. They can take a slim passenger sitting behind the rider. The C1 passenger sits behind the bodywork and might wish to wear a bag on their head to avoid embarrassment :) . I would think if you could find a Quasar for sale it would cost an arm and leg because of its collectability.

1972/ish I refused one because of a smokey engine. It was 20 quid at the time. ?????

19 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Stick with the tried and tested one hand job..rainy2.jpg.efa77254db4837eada41e7d13a494001.jpg

or get the family on board with 2 hand jobs.rainy.jpg.b7a563365f088176197cc9f0b59a46b4.jpg

and get a sidecar for the perros .              .chih.jpg.818d59333247f873eb2f1e2e6a2570b3.jpg  

Hand job on a motorbike...thanks for that...brings back some fond memories  

On 28/07/2017 at 9:29 AM, webfact said:

“Any modification and installation of parts onto cars or motorcycles must undergo stability and safety tests and be granted permission from the registration officials first, so such approved structure would also be recorded in the car/motorcycle registration booklet,” he reminded motorcyclists.

HaHa! They're worried about this when any amount of blatantly unroadworthy crap drifts about the highways and byways with impunity!

I'm talking about things like home made sidecar contraptions and those two wheels at the front (with no front brakes) converted motorbike things!

On 28/07/2017 at 9:30 PM, overherebc said:

Can anyone remember way back in the 60's the bike in UK  built with the same engine from the Reliant Robin ( Dell boy mobile) with the enclosing screen and roof, but open sided?

My first car was a Robin Reliant.  Dellboy had the van equivalent - a Robin Regal.

3 minutes ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

If only we were lucky enough to be blessed with foresight instead of hindsight ? . If you'd bought it and covered it over in the shed you'd be minted now. 

Did the same with an Austin Healey 3000 for 60 quid.

Mind you at that time that's all they were worth.

Also swapped an original CCM 650, bought for 40 quid, for a nearly new CB 650/4 and a 400/4.

Made money on the 400/4 but threw the 650 up the road and wrote it off.

??

Reading the headline I thought it was about idiots driving one handed while holding an umbrella.

However, I had a good laugh at

“Any modification and installation of parts onto cars or motorcycles must undergo stability and safety tests and be granted permission from the registration officials first, so such approved structure would also be recorded in the car/motorcycle registration booklet.

Have to get permission for a silly thing like that, which is obviously sold without any requirement being mentioned by the seller, while allowing people to drive dangerously while holding umbrellas, or a baby.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, overherebc said:

Found it. Called the Quasar.

Much better idea than some plastic tubes and clear plastic sheeting.

And it worked.

640px-7quasars.jpg

There used to be a fully enclosed m'bike with outriggers that sprang out when speed dropped below a certain point. Haven't seen any reference to them for years.

I saw it on Top Gear.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There used to be a fully enclosed m'bike with outriggers that sprang out when speed dropped below a certain point. Haven't seen any reference to them for years.

I saw it on Top Gear.

Econobike. Converted BMW.

Guy called Dayton made them.

Think the name is Paraves Company.

images (34).jpg

On 7/28/2017 at 9:16 PM, robblok said:

These things are a danger IMHO, i find 2 up a motorbike a drag.. you trying 3 and a dog (if your serious that is).. i take it you are in my weight level (or heavier) would that bike still move ? Just be careful with such a thing.. im sure you would take it slow.. but IMHO these things are an accident waiting to happen for those that drive to fast (or are passed by a truck that gives a wind burst too). 

oh heck, i once saw a family of 5 on a motorcycle in Patong w/ALL each holding an oversized piece of living room furniture; mother and father both holding loveseat/ottoman, 3 kids holding large lamps and even a coffee table...

3 peeps and 2 small dogs is a nothing burger for these parts, although i do agree that the chihuauhuas might denigrate from his rough & tough image :tongue:

Archived