Do I need to keep my old passport for Samui Immigration??

Hi Folks,

I know all this stuff is boring , but if you get it wrong the consequences can be dire in retrospect.....or "Dire Rear" ...and no  one needs that sh*t!:smile: right?

I have just had to renew my UK passport in order to extend my stay based on retirement.as the old passport had less than 1 year to run. .....All done after jumping through a number of

unforseen hoops....and expenses.....such as I had to get a letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok to confirm my passport was genuine (1,200 THB)......Which took 24 hours to

process even though I flew to BKK to present the docs.

I live on Samui and I know that every different immigration office has its own rules and throws in a few "randoms " for Tea Money....Glad to hear that Mr. Nasty is in "Pokey" by the way

for taking too many backhanders!:laugh:.....Sorry...."In joke" for Samui guys, but that C*NT refused to do my extension after my passport had inadvertantly been through the laundry

unless I paid 11K THB....which naturally I was obliged to do......Obviously a "Money Launderer"?

But to cut a long story short.....as I haven't....:laugh:....my question is:

Do I need to keep my old passport and copies of previous extensions of stay when I re-apply for my next extension?

Got there in the end!... Phew!......a Yes or No answer will suffice :cheesy:

Many thanks in advance!!

Edited by Mario666
spelling
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

Immigration has not seen my old passport since the day they transferred the stamps to my new one.

At the time of application, what if they ask to see the old passport and copies of previous extensions? After the stamps have been transferred, you dont need to save the old stuff unless you want it for historical reasons.

Edited by Annu Nair
clarity.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Annu Nair said:

At the time of application, what if they ask to see the old passport and copies of previous extensions?

I have done 4 extensions since I got my new passport. No request ever of any copies of the old. 

I have 2 old passport put away as a keepsake. Not sure what happened to the 3 had before them.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I have done 4 extensions since I got my new passport. No request ever of any copies of the old. 

I have 2 old passport put away as a keepsake. Not sure what happened to the 3 had before them.

According to my information, with the migrant control regime being put in place, they are going to be strict and sometimes would seem arbitrary. Personally I would not advise you to take a risk. Wouldnt you agree?  

2 minutes ago, Annu Nair said:

According to my information, with the migrant control regime being put in place, they are going to be strict and sometimes would seem arbitrary. Personally I would not advise you to take a risk. Wouldnt you agree?  

Well Annu.... I am gonna keep it just to be on the "safe side".......the crooked B*STARD we had here on Samui as Head of

Immigration is now in jail :clap2::clap2::clap2:....,And so far so good with the new guy at Samui and the the new office.

They are making it harder and harder for us......Have been here 11 years now.....They don't like us....Maybe move to

Panama next....a bit more expensive,  but I have heard some great stories about it! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Well Annu.... I am gonna keep it just to be on the "safe side".......the crooked B*STARD we had here on Samui as Head of

Immigration is now in jail :clap2::clap2::clap2:....,And so far so good with the new guy at Samui and the the new office.

They are making it harder and harder for us......Have been here 11 years now.....They don't like us....Maybe move to

Panama next....a bit more expensive,  but I have heard some great stories about it! :thumbsup:

Not at all! There is no place like Thailand, and a friend of mine is starting a gay-friendly hotel in Samui very soon. Alas I cant be a part of the forthcoming enterprise because I want to be in teaching.

Edited by Annu Nair
clarity

22 minutes ago, Annu Nair said:

What migrant control system. There are not changes to the rules imminent or now.

I never said he should throw it in the trash. I only said he should not need copies of it.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What migrant control system. There are not changes to the rules imminent or now.

I never said he should throw it in the trash. I only said he should not need copies of it.

Thanks. I dont think I understood you to mean other that what you stated to clarify. So you are good, ubonjoe.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Hey "UJ" :smile:....I think Annu is just being cautious.

I don't know how long you have lived here, but having experienced your extensive knowledge of Thai law, Visa procedure knowledge and previous remarks about passports, etc. I am guessing 30-40 years....am I right?

Long stretch....Fancy a trip to Panama for a Reccy????:smile:

Edited by Mario666
Spelling
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mario666 said:

Hey "UJ" :smile:....I think Annu is just being cautious.

I don't know how long you have lived here, but having experienced your extensive knowledge of Thai law, Visa procedure knowledge and previous remarks about passports, etc. I am guessing 30-40 years....am I right.

Fancy a drink or two or three or..., Mario666?  :partytime2:

Edited by Annu Nair
clarity

5 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

I don't know how long you have lived here, but having experienced your extensive knowledge of Thai law, Visa procedure knowledge and previous remarks about passports, etc. I am guessing 30-40 years....am I right?

Twenty Two years in total.

How about Venezuela which is the worst in my experience. Plus several other countries over the years.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

How about Venezuela which is the worst in my experience. Plus several other countries over the years.

ubonjoe, I second that, I was in Venezuela last year. 22 years deserves a pension.

Venez

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Good man....You here for the "Duration"...if you know what I mean?

I love it here for most things....I do have some Thai male friends, but not many...up to them?

Having said that I am am sure I would be welcome in many Favellas or other South American back alleys .....at least until they had removed the contents of my wallet and any jewellery which I had been foolish enough to have in my posession?....Na Krap???:smile:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

I was asked for old passport when I did my first renewal on new passport, not since that.
Samui Immigration.

Thanks Pal,

Love the "Cheesey Grin"....or should I say "Goat cheesey Grin"? :smile:

• Haha 1

In the 13 years we've been here Thai immigration have never asked for my old passport, except (as someone else noted) when doing the change-over to a new one.

I HAVE been asked for my old passports by both the Chinese and Indian embassies when applying for business visas, definitely don't trash it.

2 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Do I need to keep my old passport and copies of previous extensions of stay when I re-apply for my next extension?

i sure would, it is widely quoted that there is an immigration database that links your passports and shows total history; what if it is wrong ? maybe some mistake ?; that old passport and the other docs might clear the issue up in your favor;

Just now, YetAnother said:

i sure would, it is widely quoted that there is an immigration database that links your passports and shows total history; what if it is wrong ? maybe some mistake ?; that old passport and the other docs might clear the issue up in your favor;

Thanks for your reply.

My question was really about whether I need to keep the old passport in order to take copies of the old extensions.

I will of course retain my beautifully "clean" though old passport.:smile:

• Haha 1