Rotten Red Cross aid parcels lead to best pointing photo of the year!

rooster59

Rotten Red Cross aid parcels lead to best pointing photo of the year!

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GO1owLAiu017G10nxF.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

It may well be the best pointing photo of the year after the Red Cross distributed aid packages to the elderly that contained rotten tinned fish.

The furious poor old timers in Sa Kaew are pointing at the offending product that was out of date and crawling with worms.

As can be seen in our photo some are pointing and some are just holding their noses at the stink. Some are even doing nose holding and pointing.

One woman was not present - she ate the fish and is currently indisposed.

Unusually in such cases the brand of fish was named as "Yort Chef" (top chef) brand - one that the aging recipients of the packages had barely heard of.

The parcels were handed out at a mobile relief clinic in the eastern Thai province and were intended to help the poor and elderly.

But when they got home and opened the rusty cans the contents stank and worms were crawling out.

Jamrat Janthakat, 62, was not a happy camper. He said it was disgraceful that the Thai elderly were treated like this.

"If the fish was out of date it should have been thrown away," he said, "not palmed off on us and made to look like charity".

Some 100 parcels were distributed on Thursday. One woman, Thorg-orn Utmuang, 61, made the mistake of trying the fish.

Her husband Buntham, 64, said the effect was immediate and that she was on the loo all day suffering.

Thai Rath said that calls to the people who had distributed the packages were going unanswered as they were probably all out delivering more.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-29

11 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Her husband Buntham, 64, said the effect was immediate and that she was on the loo all day suffering.

Reminds me of many a night and day in Thailand.

Thai's eat rotten fish and worms all the time. What's the big deal?

Pretty sure my wife is part ostrich and could live on a steady diet of broken glass and peppers.

11 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Had you been eating cockles ?

Som-Tam. I LOVE that stuff, but it doesn't love me back.

Sickest I ever got was from McDonalds in North Pattaya of all places. That was true food poisoning, not just peppers trying to make a hasty exit.

Being Thailand you can be sure of one thing. Someone has made good money by putting together these inedible parcels using out-of-date and dangerous stock. As always money before health and safety.

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Some 100 parcels were distributed on Thursday. One woman, Thorg-orn Utmuang, 61, made the mistake of trying the fish.

The "fine line" of not being able to tell the difference between rotten fish and plaa raa lol

Also, what's the deal with this half assed censorship? What's the point in hiding 80% of the cans while you can see 3 of them just fine?

Americans give huge amounts of money, in good faith, to the Red Cross thinking that good work is being done.  People in the USA would be mortified, shocked, deeply embarrassed to find out that this happened.  Unfortunately, our news media will cover up this story and the great number of Americans will never hear anything about it.

19 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

They don't strike me as being amongst the worlds most needy.

Seems like the parcels for the needy have taken a detour somewhere along the track. Someone may have done a good turn for those in real need leaving the not-so-needy sitting on the khazi.

22 minutes ago, billmichael said:

Americans give huge amounts of money, in good faith, to the Red Cross thinking that good work is being done.  People in the USA would be mortified, shocked, deeply embarrassed to find out that this happened.  Unfortunately, our news media will cover up this story and the great number of Americans will never hear anything about it.

What's this incident got to do with the US - Red Cross Head Office is in Switzerland

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It may well be the best pointing photo of the year after the Red Cross distributed aid packages to the elderly that contained rotten tinned fish.

Later on the elderly villagers gathered elsewhere to indulge in a lavish feast of "pla raa" that had them break out in enthusiastic praise over the delectable aroma and flavor of this popular condiment based on fish that was fermented for several months under the hot tropical sun.  

4 hours ago, RowdyAlpha said:

The red cross do a great job around the world and yeah they might have made a mistake in this instance and I'm sure there was no harm intended but for them people to go about taking a photo like that, it is disrespectful to the red cross.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I doubt it was the Red Cross themselves, who screwed the pooch on this one...  perhaps a local distributor with no oversight.

that said, with their logo being trashed by so many pointing fingers,  I suppose they will have to carry the can on this.... but the worms will turn, if no further aid is offered ???

"The furious poor old timers in Sa Kaew are pointing at the offending product that was out of date and crawling with worms."

I think the fact that the red cross have to feed people in Thailand is far more shocking that the food being off imo

23 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

"The furious poor old timers in Sa Kaew are pointing at the offending product that was out of date and crawling with worms."

I think the fact that the red cross have to feed people in Thailand is far more shocking that the food being off imo

600 baht a month welfare for the elderly

5 hours ago, billmichael said:

Land of the half-truths

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

600 baht a month welfare for the elderly

That is shocking, while Billions are being spent on Military equipment and High-speed railways the red cross has to feed the elderly.

Quality canned fish should last for many , many years. Fish that been improperly processed is dangerous ( as consumers of tuna sandwiches in Sydney discovered last year). The fishy aspect of the story is that there was a bad smell....it sounds as though the whole batch was somehow contaminated . 

Fish related food poisoning...once experienced it is never forgotten.

Archived