Drones

I doubt that private property is restricted... its not on your land. There are places they can't fly and that is near airports and sensitive military bases. 

Depends a bit what the drone is doing.. just passing by or hanging in front of your window looking in, might also depend on how high.. Im sure that you don't own the air above it (maybe there is a certain height that they cant go below) . I have a friend that likes flying drones.. what i heard was only certain air spaces are forbidden the rest was free to go. I can't see the fun of flying a drone myself but everyone has his or her hobbies.

Interesting question.. lets see what others have to see. 

At what height? I think you have to be a certain distance away from people, why not  just give a friendly wave, doubt they are  looking at you and what they see if  over more than 30 metres  will be very  little  at all.

Personally I would ask for some free snaps of my house from the air:smile:

This may be out of date?

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/08/quick-look-at-the-new-and-updated-drone-law-in-thailand/

Edited by barrywhite

I know the OP is in CM but in Hua Hin you are not allowed to fly drones withing 25km of the Royal Palace, which pretty much rules out most of Hua Hin. 

If you live within such proximity of some kind of palace or other royal grounds in Chiang Mai your neighbour probably shouldn't be flying a drone. 

4 minutes ago, gaviolit said:

In Thailand drone it s illegal ALL OVER the COUNTRY for private people, only if have camera, if your drone neighbour have it, you can call police. 

That is totally incorrect information. Drones are NOT illegal in Thailand. They are trying to get all camera drones registered and insured but it is a ruling NOT a law.. as for the OP.. if the flyer is just going over your property higher than 30m then he can.. if he is hovering below 30m or causing an inconvenience then you can call the police. Unlikely that they will do anything though.. if you see the operator just ask him NOT to fly over your property.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I know the OP is in CM but in Hua Hin you are not allowed to fly drones withing 25km of the Royal Palace, which pretty much rules out most of Hua Hin. 

If you live within such proximity of some kind of palace or other royal grounds in Chiang Mai your neighbour probably shouldn't be flying a drone. 

Really.. strange that there is nothing in the actual CAA regulations about that no fly zone of 25km.

I have a drone but before I bought one a quick research I found all the info I needed to know. In Thailand no higher than 90m and the drone has to be within line of sight. Not to fly over populated events or  ?km close airports and government installations.

Im sure if you tell him you are not comfortable flying over your house he will stop. 

If it weighs more than 2.2 kilos and/or has a camera it is supposed to be registered. The police will seize the drone if you are outside the laws. But of course nothing much seems to happen here. But if they seize your thousand dollar drone...not fun.

Of course if you hit somebody all bets are off.

3 hours ago, gaviolit said:

In Thailand drone it s illegal ALL OVER the COUNTRY for private people, only if have camera, if your drone neighbour have it, you can call police. 

If they illegal, why are so many stores in Bangkok selling them?

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Good article here on the distances legalities etc for drones in Thailand.

https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-thailand/

Watch your distances.

Permission required over Historical sites.

Licence holders only if fitted with a camera.

Plus many more.

Licence  not required for under a  certain weight, think its 2.0 kilo which most are under ie Phantom , Mavic, Parrot, it says at the  bottom of that  website it may not  be correct.

Camera or  not under 2kg is ok and no need  to register anything no insurance required, all of the other stuff is for heavier drones

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Drone-Regulation-Eng-Translation.pdf

Edited by barrywhite

I covered all bases went to police and asked about registration. They had no clue so rang a few people who in turn had no clue. They wrote me an official letter saying i had been in and registerd Drone (serial number make and model with camera) at my address. Told me not to fly it near airport and they would look into the registration process and get back to me.

Went into Amphoe and again explained eventualy again got a letter stating i had tried to register ect ect.

Went to village head man told him showed him letters ect no problem. However i dont fly it over peoples houses with the camera working. Thats just rude. I use it for the farm mainly great way of sering if alls ok and good fun.

15 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I covered all bases went to police and asked about registration. They had no clue so rang a few people who in turn had no clue. They wrote me an official letter saying i had been in and registerd Drone (serial number make and model with camera) at my address. Told me not to fly it near airport and they would look into the registration process and get back to me.

Went into Amphoe and again explained eventualy again got a letter stating i had tried to register ect ect.

Went to village head man told him showed him letters ect no problem. However i dont fly it over peoples houses with the camera working. Thats just rude. I use it for the farm mainly great way of sering if alls ok and good fun.

Update just had a call back from police i need to register it with CAAT. Sent me a link so will look into it and report bck later.

https://www.caat.or.th/th/archives/21228

And

https://www.caat.or.th/th/archives/21234

Looks simple enough but looks like you will need a CRB from thai police or whoever does it in Thailand

Edited by jeab1980
To add web addresses

Good to know: Flights in Chiang Mai must be generally approved by the air traffic control, because the airport is so close to the city. We have obtained the appropriate permission. But you should call a few days before, so that the colleagues in the tower can coordinate with their bosses.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, godblessemall said:

That CAAT form. Can we download and fill it in then send it by email? and to what address?

I hope we don't need to go to BKK to do it.

Yes, you can fill it out an send it via email (email address is on the bottom of the form) BUT don't bother unless you include a copy of your Million Baht Drone insurance policy and if by some chance it happens to be in Thai , even more fun awaits you

These government agencies are really something in this country, why in the world would I have to have a Thai insurance policy translated into English for a Thai Government agency !!!!  

What should be mentioned on insurance paperwork are:

- UAV Brand

- UAV Model

- **UAV Serial Number**

- UAV Weight

- Your name as an insured on the paperwork as well

- Please also mention if this insurance policy will be covered in Thailand or Worldwide

- Please provide your insurance paperwork which is translated from legalization and authentication service with translation company's stamp on it. 

**It will be helpful if you can provide insurance paperwork in English to reduce approval wait times**.

For your information, you should plan ahead before you bring your UAV to Thailand. Since you have registered for UAV, I will send your personal information to National Intelligence Agency, Immigration Bureau and Office of Narcotics Control. It will take approximately 60 days to get the result before I can process the approval.

And you can also must register the drone with the NBTC and can do it via email but you will  have to search and send the info to your local office, in the case of anyone living in Chonburi that would be Chanthaburi.  That must be done within 90 days

46 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Yes, you can fill it out an send it via email (email address is on the bottom of the form) BUT don't bother unless you include a copy of your Million Baht Drone insurance policy and if by some chance it happens to be in Thai , even more fun awaits you

These government agencies are really something in this country, why in the world would I have to have a Thai insurance policy translated into English for a Thai Government agency !!!!  

And you can also must register the drone with the NBTC and can do it via email but you will  have to search and send the info to your local office, in the case of anyone living in Chonburi that would be Chanthaburi.  That must be done within 90 days

Perhaps they expect a farang to get foreign insurance in English and not Thai insurance. Can we send our application for approval and await that before getting and sending insurance?