Rayong, Sattahip or Bang Saray

MadMuhammad

Greetings,

Today I am requesting general information regarding the areas in my title. Preferably from 'locals' who either are living, have lived or spend a considerable amount of time in each or any of these places.

In the semi near future I will be relocating to Thailand with my girlfriend. She is currently studying her Masters in Business Accounting & Finance here in Melbourne and once she has completed her studies she wants to return home for work and family. I have been living on and off in Thailand, a month or so at a time, for the last 3 years and visiting for 5+.

I'm looking at the aforementioned locations as the gf will have the best chance at employment with a multinational considering that Rayong has a large industrial centre. I also have my life long best mate living close by in Pattaya and I have a life membership to Tony Gym but I would much prefer to not to be living in the centre of Pattaya (as would my gf I'm sure!)

Personally I'm looking for a nice quiet location close to the water but still have a few mod cons close by ie: mall, 7/11, access to restaurants and street food. When I say close by within 15-20mins by bike/car is fine.

I don't really need much else apart from a nice size 2 bedroom property with a decent internet connection available, preferably not in a built up 'urban' style area.

I've spent some time in Rayong by the beach and Sattahip, again by the water, but to be totally honest I haven't really ventured much further and I've only recently had Bang Saray mentioned as a possibility.

I'm aware I'm being very general and non-specific in asking for pros and cons but I find being non-specific is the best way to get all thoughts without influencing anyone's opinions in any way and at this stage I'm attempting to just get a 'feel' for each of these places. I'll be returning in October, December & February for some more detailed exploration so anything suggested to focus on, avoid or just take a look at will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all constructive comments and thanks you for the entertainment for the inevitable roasting or not so constructive replies I'll no doubt receive lol.

Yo. I am NZ. I think Bang Saray would suit you very good. When we lived in Pattaya for a number of years our favourite place was this one. A number of Farangs lve there.. Some nice propertys being built there. Lovely clean beach and water. Plenty of restaurants. Sea food ones on the dge of the water on stilts, great food good prives. Plenty og street food, many alng the beach road and in the town itself. Large commercial fishing port there.

couple of falang bars and restaurants around the town. You should take a trip up there when you come. About 25 mns drive from Pattaya.

In addition to the Mab Tapud (Rayong) and Laem Chabang (Sri Racha) industrial estates, with regard to working with a multinational, the whole eastern seaboard is your girlfriends oyster with many, more diverse, inland industrial estates around Pluak Daeng and Bowin. These will be well connected once the highway 7 extensions are all completed next year. If you don't mind a half-hour to 45 minute drive to your chosen beach locale, I would reckon there's plenty new and very affordable villages further inland to chose from along the highway 331 corridor. Look around the Khao Mai Kaeo area.

Right now, on the landward side of Sukhumvit near Bang Sa-re there's some nice villages including Bayview Residence with 4, 5 and even 6 bedrooms for upwards of 1 m baht/room. Further to the southeast, there's older villages around Ban Chang where bargains can be found and you can end up with more rooms than you need (but more space) for 12,000 baht/m and up. Not sure if you are renting or buying yet but renting while you and the girl find your feet is always the best option.

3 hours ago, shaurene said:

Yo. I am NZ. I think Bang Saray would suit you very good. When we lived in Pattaya for a number of years our favourite place was this one. A number of Farangs lve there.. Some nice propertys being built there. Lovely clean beach and water. Plenty of restaurants. Sea food ones on the dge of the water on stilts, great food good prives. Plenty og street food, many alng the beach road and in the town itself. Large commercial fishing port there.

couple of falang bars and restaurants around the town. You should take a trip up there when you come. About 25 mns drive from Pattaya.

Yo right back! Great to hear about the food options (very important! lol) Clean water is definitely something high on the list. Sounds a treat.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

In addition to the Mab Tapud (Rayong) and Laem Chabang (Sri Racha) industrial estates, with regard to working with a multinational, the whole eastern seaboard is your girlfriends oyster with many, more diverse, inland industrial estates around Pluak Daeng and Bowin. These will be well connected once the highway 7 extensions are all completed next year. If you don't mind a half-hour to 45 minute drive to your chosen beach locale, I would reckon there's plenty new and very affordable villages further inland to chose from along the highway 331 corridor. Look around the Khao Mai Kaeo area.

Right now, on the landward side of Sukhumvit near Bang Sa-re there's some nice villages including Bayview Residence with 4, 5 and even 6 bedrooms for upwards of 1 m baht/room. Further to the southeast, there's older villages around Ban Chang where bargains can be found and you can end up with more rooms than you need (but more space) for 12,000 baht/m and up. Not sure if you are renting or buying yet but renting while you and the girl find your feet is always the best option.

Hi NanLaew. Fai has spent quite a lot of time in Sriracha in the past and as you say, with the freeway extension that would make it a definite possibility. Driving/riding will be no bother to either of us, were used to the travel times and grid lock here in Melbourne and I won't need any further excuses to get out on a Ducati which will be my first purchase on arrival lol.

Your information regarding accomodation is very well received and appreciated. As you have stated we plan on renting initially as the smartest move with maybe the thought of buying in the future. Definitely in no rush to purchase at this stage especially with rents so low and no solid plan to settle. Plus it's always nice to have options to relocate, travel extensively or just plain old try something new.

I'm glad Bang Saray was mentioned to me recently and by both responses it's definitely worth a more detailed look. Thank you again for taking the time to reply in such detail, this is exactly what I was hoping for in posting.

Edited by MadMuhammad

Ban Chang would tick all your boxes, the motorway 7 extension terminating there soon will make access very good indeed, also U tapao airport on your doorstep, lots of accomodation options., bars, restaurants, shops, beaches, golf courses all there!! 

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Your first purchase will be a Ducati? Or your last?

12 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

I know of 2 accidents with riders being decapitated. western rich guys.

Most definitely don't plan on it being my last lol. I've ridden extensively on thai roads and feel no more in danger than I do riding anywhere else. I've also spent time on bikes in Vietnam which is an experience in itself!

As with any roads keeping focussed and alert at all times is your best defence. I own a Duc here so I have experience with them and won't be attempting to learn my craft in SEA like a lot of inexperienced, cashed up farangs.

Plus I've already had my fair share of accidents and hospital stays so I'm well aware of the dangers of riding and what can go wrong. And I'll be sure to purchase a matching amulet! 55

7 hours ago, LennyW said:

Ban Chang would tick all your boxes, the motorway 7 extension terminating there soon will make access very good indeed, also U tapao airport on your doorstep, lots of accomodation options., bars, restaurants, shops, beaches, golf courses all there!! 

I've only spent a day in Ban Chang to celebrate a friends pendimh marriage. Obviously spent most of the time indoors so I'm not aware of the area that well. Sounds to be worth checking out further. Thanks for another option to add to the list.

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

Most definitely don't plan on it being my last lol. I've ridden extensively on thai roads and feel no more in danger than I do riding anywhere else. I've also spent time on bikes in Vietnam which is an experience in itself!

As with any roads keeping focussed and alert at all times is your best defence. I own a Duc here so I have experience with them and won't be attempting to learn my craft in SEA like a lot of inexperienced, cashed up farangs.

Plus I've already had my fair share of accidents and hospital stays so I'm well aware of the dangers of riding and what can go wrong. And I'll be sure to purchase a matching amulet! 55

My advice for you would be to consider taking a lower daily dose for the testosterone replacement therapy.