Sourcing goods in Thailand, feesible?

banagan

I've trying to buy dried fruit in bulk for a while, I find someone every now and then who knows a guy.

The prices are terrible. Im talking about tropical fruit thats grown here, for export to US.

Got a recent quote for dried pineapple, 1000kg, almost the same price as US retail price per kg.

Ive had friends look into Textile goods, same deal, way over priceed.

Is this just greed? No understanding of wholesale pricing?

If anyone knows a dried fruit supplier, not charging US retail, Id appreciate the contact, cheers?

I've trying to buy dried fruit in bulk for a while, I find someone every now and then who knows a guy.

I know a guy who knows a guy. Let my guy talk to your guy. How do they get in contact with your guy?

Might not be "feesible" but it's definitely feasible ;)

Nothing to do about being foreign you are just at the wrong source. Start to do your homework correctly. This country makes 70% of its GDP from exports to foreigners so the theory about you being a foreigner and getting bad prices is not true. Go and search on Google and Alibaba etc. Look on the back of the packaging and go to the producers. 

Rimping and Tops in Chiang Mai each have an extensive selection of dried fruit. The girl in attendance at Rimping told me that they get it from a Middle Eastern guy in Bangkok. I got the impression that he sublets the stand. This doesn't answer your question but you might try a bit of sleuthing, asking questions of the staff who are selling it retail.

I have purchased beautiful, colorful "Thai Silk" shirts and shorts off of eBay for practically nothing.  They are gorgeous and of the highest quality and completely unobtainable here in that part of the USA where I live.  Just a few weeks wait for the post and they were here neatly folded and wrapped in plastic.  I do not understand how such nice shirts can be sold online for so little but I did have to use eBay to get them.  I edited this post to add pictures of the shirts I purchased along with 1 US pound of dried Thailand strawberries selling for 14.98 and free shipping.  Discounts of 5% are offered for $100.00+ purchases.

I am not trying to sell you anything I am just putting this out there.

s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

Edited by billmichael
Just wanted to include picture(s).

36 minutes ago, billmichael said:

I have purchased beautiful, colorful "Thai Silk" shirts and shorts off of eBay for practically nothing.  They are gorgeous and of the highest quality and completely unobtainable here in that part of the USA where I live.  Just a few weeks wait for the post and they were here neatly folded and wrapped in plastic.  I do not understand how such nice shirts can be sold online for so little but I did have to use eBay to get them.  I edited this post to add pictures of the shirts I purchased along with 1 US pound of dried Thailand strawberries selling for 14.98 and free shipping.  Discounts of 5% are offered for $100.00+ purchases.

I am not trying to sell you anything I am just putting this out there.

s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

Damn I paid 300 baht just for one shirt that I had to buy for some cultural function at school last year...but when do you wear those shirts...not really for everyday use ?

It all boils down to how you speak on the phone.  You must know that there are a lot of phoney traders in the business with imaginary business interests. Unless you present yourself properly as a serious trader, nobody will give you a deal. 

Go to Chinatown and stroll around, look in all the alleys or places where you see people going..There's loads of wholesale there and also there are plenty real businesspeople who can give you a decent service...

The bad thing is you'll have to walk around a lot and just look in all the shops and ask around.