1st Time visit to Cambodia

SABloke

I'm going to visit Cambodia for the first time in December and would like some info.

1) Visa: I know visa on a arrival is available, but according to the Cambodian airport website getting a visa beforehand will speed up getting through the airport. My question is, "How much faster will it be or is it just easier to get the v.o.a?"

2) Thai citizens: Apparently they still need visas - is this true? So ASEAN's "easier travel for member citizens" is not a thing then or is a short visit (4 days) possible without a visa?

3) Transport: I will be hiring a van and English speaking driver for the duration of my trip. I'll go for the full in option(petrol included), but would like to know whether it's customary to tip the driver at the end of the day?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'll add things if/when they come up. 

1. it will take ya anywhere from 5-15 minutes ( depending on the line) to get ur voa ,  try and get a seat near front of plane, have the application ,$30 and photo ready.

2. NO< thai passports get FREE 15 days visa exempt stamp

3. UP to you  ,i never tip in Cambodia (other than a couple thousand riel)   but than i also have never rented a van...

24 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

1. it will take ya anywhere from 5-15 minutes ( depending on the line) to get ur voa ,  try and get a seat near front of plane, have the application ,$30 and photo ready.

2. NO< thai passports get FREE 15 days visa exempt stamp

3. UP to you  ,i never tip in Cambodia (other than a couple thousand riel)   but than i also have never rented a van...

Thanks, Richard.

I have known it to take much longer than that to get the VOA, all depends on how many of your fellow passengers also need to do that and how quickly you get to the counter. TG flights seem to have the most people doing VOA, PG and Air Asia seem to have less (more resident expats and Cambodians taking those flights).

Sitting near the front a good idea.

Or just get the e-visa and go through at the same time your gf will, who does not need a visa. It's not that much more and will also save a full page of your passport.

Tipping van: not if it is the driver's own van, but if it is through a company and you are happy with him then I would - but renting through a company will cost a lot more.

Archived