Tourist visa - 20 k to show up

Hi guys,

since I stay already 3 weeks in Vietnam & short after left BKK the immigration started to check this 20'000 thb by entry on the airports.

Is that now standart? Or do they check this only occassionally? Asking because want come back as soon. Anyone used a flight to BKK with tourist visum & can comfirm how the current acting of the immigration?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I used to "live" in BKK since 2 & ahalf years, using 30-day stamps, tourist visa & extentions...

But I clearly don't work in Thailand...

Now I'm unsure because of that much rumors. I stay here in VN since 3 weeks & got my new tourist-visa already, used cash & the atm-card from Bangkokbank here doesn't work.

Should I just try - or is the risk too high?

2 minutes ago, German farang said:

Well, I used to "live" in BKK since 2 & ahalf years, using 30-day stamps, tourist visa & extentions...

But I clearly don't work in Thailand...

Now I'm unsure because of that much rumors. I stay here in VN since 3 weeks & got my new tourist-visa already, used cash & the atm-card from Bangkokbank here doesn't work.

Should I just try - or is the risk too high?

Entirely up to you, but you certainly have a history that could create suspicion.

The rule is to show 20,000 baht or the equivalent if asked.

We cannot answer if you will be asked, or not. It's a risk you take.

12 minutes ago, German farang said:

Odd you card does not work. Is it a ATM/Debit card or only a for ATM's. If a debit card you should be able to into a bank and get cash.

Bangkok Bank has branches in Hanoi and HCMC. Not sure if they could help you or not. 

See: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/LocateUs/Pages/default.aspx  Select interantional and Vietnam to find contact info.

30 minutes ago, German farang said:

the atm-card from Bangkokbank here doesn't work.

If it's a Bangkok Bank chip and pin debit card, it will only work at a BKK ATM.

Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are the only two locations for a BKK branch.

Edited by Tanoshi

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

If it's a Bangkok Bank chip and pin debit card, it will only work at a BKK ATM.

Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are the only two locations for a BKK branch.

My chip/pin BKB card seems to work at some (but not all) other ATMs.  For example, TMB ATMs where it usually works (but didn't at one).  I think it *may* only be an issue if the older-machine cannot handle chip-cards?  And/Or perhaps an issue encountered when out of the country?

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

My chip/pin BKB card seems to work at some (but not all) other ATMs.  For example, TMB ATMs where it usually works (but didn't at one).  I think it *may* only be an issue if the older-machine cannot handle chip-cards?  And/Or perhaps an issue encountered when out of the country?

No many ATM's outside of Bangkok that will accept a chip and pin card.

Still in the 'Neanderthal' period up in the sticks.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Odd you card does not work. Is it a ATM/Debit card or only a for ATM's. If a debit card you should be able to into a bank and get cash.

Bangkok Bank has branches in Hanoi and HCMC. Not sure if they could help you or not. 

See: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/LocateUs/Pages/default.aspx  Select interantional and Vietnam to find contact info.

I regularly use my SCB Debit Card in Saigon and Nha Trang INSIDE the Bank - but they charge 4% on cash transactions.

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I have had that error in both Vietnam and Thailand - "This ATM is not abe to read PIV encoded cards"  or something like that.  But then you go to another ATM and the same card will work,,,,,,,,,,,,

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I visited the bbk-bank branch in Hanoi (inside the citybank building 3 floor). They can't, saying they are under vietnamese law.

1 minute ago, cyrilmadrid said:

You all refer to 20k. But isn't it 10k for single and 20k for family ?

That is the rule for a visa exempt entry. But it has been reported that immigration has insisted they wanted to see 20k baht.

If you have a visa for entry 20k baht or 40k for a family is the rule.

I can understand that showing a Thai bank book is not going to cut the requirement but what about the app on your phone? The amount shown is the up to date value even if you just transferred money a few minutes before. Would the Immigration be satisfied with that to prove you have the 20k available?

2 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

I can understand that showing a Thai bank book is not going to cut the requirement but what about the app on your phone? The amount shown is the up to date value even if you just transferred money a few minutes before. Would the Immigration be satisfied with that to prove you have the 20k available?

no, they will not, it has to be cash.

Just now, Cletus said:

no, they will not, it has to be cash.

I wonder what the real thinking behind it is. The bank app as I am sure you know automatically deducts and amount transferred immediately no waiting time. As the ATM's are on the other side of Immigration it would seem reasonable that the app method satisfies the requirements. It is what it is though but damn strange way of thinking.

4 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

I wonder what the real thinking behind it is. The bank app as I am sure you know automatically deducts and amount transferred immediately no waiting time. As the ATM's are on the other side of Immigration it would seem reasonable that the app method satisfies the requirements. It is what it is though but damn strange way of thinking.

yes, it's weird, but they want to see the cash (any exchangable currency is good, equivalent of 20k baht).

There's nothing we can do, just stick to what they want!

Also, keep in mind that this recent panic about the IOs checking for 20,000 baht entering Thailand was started--as are most mass panics--by the flimsiest, unverified sources: at total of THREE posts on Thaivisa, TWO of them highly questionable as to their validity and veracity.

• Like 2