They gave me 60 days instead of 30

I got a 60 day stamp upon entry at Suvarnabhumi.  I was expecting a visa exempt 30 day stamp.  What's going on here?  And am I gonna get hassled later on?

• I am Canadian
  • Plan to stay over 3 months, extending and doing a visa run.
  • I flew in WITHOUT a visa from Philippines
  • Expecting visa exempt entry of 30 days for Canadians
  • But they gave me 60 days

Stamp in passport says:

- Visa Class TR

- 2 Jul to 30 Aug

Did they make a mistake?
If yes, will I have problems when I go in near the end of 60 days to apply for a 30 day extension?

Worried they might see the 60 day stamp without a corresponding visa, tell me I've overstayed (even though it's their mistake), and GTFO.

Edited by asdfrules
shitty grammar

Despite the stamp, you only have 30 days' permission. The local immigration office should be able to correct it but you will waste some time in there.

Edited by Briggsy

if you got less than 30 days i expect you would go to imm and sort it out because you got more i suggest you take the same route    if there is a problem later it will be your fault for not doing so   +fine accordingly   i know maybe not fair    but it is up to you to be aware of the rules

• Like 1

hi the same happen  to me me and my wife went to lao to do a visa run we stayed the night and they gave me a 30 days visa when normally its only 15 days ??? i come from australia on a tourist visa if it wrong i need to fix it

18 minutes ago, lindlake said:

hi the same happen  to me me and my wife went to lao to do a visa run we stayed the night and they gave me a 30 days visa when normally its only 15 days ??? i come from australia on a tourist visa if it wrong i need to fix it

Since the first of January everybody gets 30 days at land border crossings. The 15 day rule was rescinded when the 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings rule went into effect.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since the first of January everybody gets 30 days at land border crossings. The 15 day rule was rescinded when the 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings rule went into effect.

ok thank you we are going back to get a marraige visa or retirement visa not sure yet still reading about which is better i turn 50 in 5 days

Just now, lindlake said:

ok thank you we are going back to get a marraige visa or retirement visa not sure yet still reading about which is better i turn 50 in 5 days

You get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage much easier than one for being 50 or over at Vientiane and no financial proof will be needed. You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement with the 90 day entry from it without a problem if you decide to go that route.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage much easier than one for being 50 or over at Vientiane and no financial proof will be needed. You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement with the 90 day entry from it without a problem if you decide to go that route.

ok thank i read some where is was better to go to savannakhet when we were at Ventiane they said we need to show financial proof we live near Phon so we are in the middle

14 minutes ago, lindlake said:

ok thank i read some where is was better to go to savannakhet when we were at Ventiane they said we need to show financial proof we live near Phon so we are in the middle

Perhaps if you asked for one for retirement. For one based upon marriage there is no financial proof required.

OP here.

After reading a few replies, I went to immigration.   Fixed the error and got a 30 day extension.  The officer seemed happy that I came in.

Had I just followed the date on the stamp and stayed 60 days without extending, looks like it would have been a 15,000 baht fine.  Too mutt!

Thanks everybody!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jagger said:

I arrived on July 27th and the same thing happened to me, got 60 days on VISA exemption (stamp shows entry July 27, admitted until Sep 24).

Is this a common problem then?

BR

Incorrect stamps, of one kind or another, on entry are not that rare. I always check the stamps, just in case, before exiting immigration. If you discover the error there and then, it is resolved in seconds, rather than needing to make a special visit to immigration to get it resolved.