90 Day Report to BKK by Post (EMS) - EMS reliability?

Somewhat annoying.  Tried a 90 day by mail to Chaeng Wattana.  Due on 6 August, mailed in by EMS 20 July.  Kinda expected it to be returned by the end of last week given I put 40 baht stamps on it to come back EMS also (the guy even stuck the EMS tag on the return envelope which I though was strange as they don't normally do that).  Just tried the EMS tracking of the outward package and it returns 'No Record Found'.  I guess I'd be right in assuming that that isn't the norm and that once delivered, even at Immigration, EMS would show it as delivered?

So I guess that'll now mean a pi55 about to sort it out.  I know they normally say wait a month after the due date for your 90 day before contacting them but given that the outward mail by EMS isn't even returning a delivery date I'd be better off going to sort it sooner than later.  Just my luck!!  Can't be bothered pi55ing about going to the post office to try and find what's happened with the outgoing package because if the result is still lost in the post I've still gotta waste time going to immigration.

So much for the reliability of sending something EMS!!! <deleted>##ing PITA!!!  Hopefully the 90 reporting facility at Central Lad Phrao is still open, PITA though it is to get there it's still easier than CW.

Edited by SooKee

Yeah it's the one on the receipt.  Should've checked the next day or Monday after at the latest.  Didn't bother as I've never had a problem with EMS before, I'll add it to the list of things to watch like a hawk here for future reports!!  If I'd checked before I could have at least mailed another in albeit it would have been just within the 15 day period.  Right on the 7 now so rather than waste time going to the post office to do it again and then possibly having to go to Immigration also I may as well just waste the time going to one place.  I suppose it could just be an EMS records thing but I'd have expected the EMS reply to have come back by now.  I've mailed Thai Post already, not expecting much.  So much for EMS!! Not impressed at all!

Edited by SooKee

So much for that.  Got to fill the form in OK online but after completing the captcha and hitting submit you get the "For further information about 90 day reporting contact your local immigration office".  Not sure if that's one of the 'system still down' messages or whether it's because they do have my application and therefore can't do it online.  Will just get on the MRT and go do it in person rather than it become more of failed system time sink.  Thailand v4.0 - yeah right!

1 minute ago, SooKee said:

So much for that.  Got to fill the form in OK online but after completing the captcha and hitting submit you get the "For further information about 90 day reporting contact your local immigration office".  

That message means that your record could not be found.

If you typed in your nationality instead of selecting it on the drop down menu that will cause the message. The dates can be typed in.

Other errors in the the info can cause it also. Only complete the required fields that have a beside them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

Due on 6 August, mailed in by EMS 20 July.  

Independent from the supposed mailing problem, I would not simply expect it to arrive after a certain time.

They might well do it by their discretion just on due date 6 August e.g.

For report in person, Friday 11 August would be your latest.

So don't be too nervous.

Or do you have travel plans?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That message means that your record could not be found.

If you typed in your nationality instead of selecting it on the drop down menu that will cause the message. The dates can be typed in.

Other errors in the the info can cause it also. Only complete the required fields that have a beside them.

Yup.  Tried it a few times from filling in ABSOLUTE bare minimum to full details inc middle name and flight number etc.  Same result.  Used it twice in CM, no problem.  Can't progress past the first page now and I'm using the drop downs etc.  So that's the two relatively user friendly options down the tubes so it's a back to wasted half day to get it sorted.  Hopefully next time will be less of a pain.

Edited by SooKee

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Independent from the supposed mailing problem, I would not simply expect it to arrive after a certain time.

They might well do it by their discretion just on due date 6 August e.g.

For report in person, Friday 11 August would be your latest.

So don't be too nervous.

Or do you have travel plans?

No, no plans as such.  I could leave it a week more I guess, maybe go next Weds, it's just with the possibly (likely?) failure of the delivery process I kinda get the feeling I'm waiting for something that's never going to arrive so may as well just go get it done.  I flew back in to Thailand 9 May so I'm wondering if that's somehow screwed up the immigration records, despite them having a TM28 etc.

The internet report is quite an obstacle.

Misc hints needed to get through the labyrinth.

For some, like me, it doesn't work at all (new passport after last arrival).

So you now have the option to trust in mail and don't care or do report in person.

If first fails 2000 Baht :smile:

Do a photocopy of the EMS slip that you got!

It might become unreadable quickly.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely  NO way I'd leave to the 'have faith in the mail' option.  Especially seeing as the 'reliable next day delivery' EMS doesn't even return a record for my tracking number.  I've not had much by way of problems with EMS before but if there is no delivery date recorded by them (and even if there is given some previous experience) I'd have zero faith in it having arrived, I'd more put it down to luck if it did.  I can afford to wait some more without it costing 2,000 though, just leave it closer to the final reporting date (albeit I'm thinking not with much optimism).

Edited by SooKee

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

For some, like me, it doesn't work at all (new passport after last arrival).

I have two of the problems that can keep a person from doing them. A very old entry (before the 2013 cutoff) and a new passport.

Had been doing them by mail since November 2015 without a problem after they moved the office further away. Now we have an office here in the city that my wife did my report at last Wednesday.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed typo

Well, does look like the EMS was a system glitch, I emailed That Post earlier and the tracking record is now showing delivered 9am on the 21st July.  So at least I can confirm that I sent it and that they received it.  So now I'm in THAT arena (proven receipt) I think Immigration advice is to wait until 1 month AFTER the report due date before chasing the receipt.

I use to use the mail service here in Phuket. The firs couple of times they respond quickly. Then they would be delayed. Finally one never came. I went to immigration and they tried to fine me until I showed them my EMS receipt along with screenshots of the tracking pages showing that it was delivered and who had signed for it. The immigration officer chuckled, showed his partner who did a comical eye roll. He printed out a new slip and I was on my way.

• Like 1

"Somewhat annoying.  Tried a 90 day by mail to Chaeng Wattana.  Due on 6 August, mailed in by EMS 20 July.  Kinda expected it to be returned by the end of last week given I put 40 baht stamps on it to come back EMS also (the guy even stuck the EMS tag on the return envelope which I though was strange as they don't normally do that)".

1. If the due date is August 6th then they will not process your 90day until August 6th. Expect it back around 8th or 9th August. (the 15days prior is so that the letter gets to them by 6th August, they do not process them as soon as they are received).

2. Do not send by EMS as a waste of time and money.

3. Send by registered post only as per the procedure shown on their web site. I have being doing it this way for the last 7 years and never had a problem. The only problem I had was immigration refusing to take delivery by hand at Chaengwattana prior to the due 90 day notification date. They made me walk down stairs to the post office and post it to them!

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Estrada said:

"Somewhat annoying.  Tried a 90 day by mail to Chaeng Wattana.  Due on 6 August, mailed in by EMS 20 July.  Kinda expected it to be returned by the end of last week given I put 40 baht stamps on it to come back EMS also (the guy even stuck the EMS tag on the return envelope which I though was strange as they don't normally do that)".

1. If the due date is August 6th then they will not process your 90day until August 6th. Expect it back around 8th or 9th August. (the 15days prior is so that the letter gets to them by 6th August, they do not process them as soon as they are received).

2. Do not send by EMS as a waste of time and money.

3. Send by registered post only as per the procedure shown on their web site. I have being doing it this way for the last 7 years and never had a problem. The only problem I had was immigration refusing to take delivery by hand at Chaengwattana prior to the due 90 day notification date. They made me walk down stairs to the post office and post it to them!

Ah, that's interesting then.  I thought they processed them as soon as they are received, much as if you walked in early.  Think I got that impression as I could have sworn I saw someone post that they'd posted the report in by EMS (which must have been 15 days before) and that they'd got the EMS response back within 4 days, unless I was reading that post wrong and the within 4 days meant after the reporting date, not within 4 days of it being delivered to immigration.

With EMS, could well be a waste of money but I'd have to go to the post office for EMS or registered so the time would be the same.

I'm guessing that as they have my 90 day, that's maybe why I can't use online.  I'd used if find twice in CM last year, same passport etc.  I always wonder if exiting Thailand and coming back screws it up though, such that you can't do online until you've done at least one in person since re-entering.

Anyways, thanks for the comments / help, 'Like' button seems to have gone?

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Indeed. I did a Google for "Thai ems tracking" to see if my last 90 day report was sent, and whatever site I used, it came back with a big fat negative info found. Then, I used the site referenced above, and viola, there was all the tracking info on my package.

• Like 1

Seems the above statement is not correct. My report due date was 6 August. My receipt arrived in the post today having been processed 30 July. Whilst I suppose they may not / need not process your report until the due date is clear that they do not always wait until the due date.

Interestingly too, when I paid the return post, which was 37 by EMS the staffer stuck an EMS label on the envelope. Seems the post office their end totally disregarded that, stuck a printed EMS label on endorsed that I'd paid 5 baht too much.

Posted using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Seems the above statement is not correct. My report due date was 6 August. My receipt arrived in the post today having been processed 30 July. Whilst I suppose they may not / need not process your report until the due date is clear that they do not always wait until the due date.

Interestingly too, when I paid the return post, which was 37 by EMS the staffer stuck an EMS label on the envelope. Seems the post office their end totally disregarded that, stuck a printed EMS label on endorsed that I'd paid 5 baht too much.

Posted using Tapatalk

You are correct - I have always had it processed ahead of due date but always send the full 15 days in advance. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chingching said:

Why did you not use the EMS tracking number for YOUR post TO immigration.  That's the only one that matters.  If you get the return from them is just a formality. 

Why did you not read the thread!  I did, as per post 3! But thanks for your contribution.

Edited by SooKee

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

Why did you not read the thread!  I did, as per post 3! But thanks for your contribution.

You repeatedly talk about the "outgoing" package in post 1,  In post 3 you say nothing about which one you are tracking.   

You repeatedly talk about the "outgoing" package in post 1,  In post 3 you say nothing about which one you are tracking.   

Jeez. What package do you think I was talking about? Post 3 was in response to post 2. Still, some folks on TV go out of their way to be awkward. Always one. Just can't figure why you bothered commenting at all.

Either way, life's too short. Enjoy. Maybe some comprehension lessons are in order!

Posted using Tapatalk

I'll post a very short report of my only attempt of 90 day reporting by post, even though it was more than five years ago.

Sent my details to my local immigration office (not BKK) by EMS, included stamps for return postage (not EMS) and all the correct documents.

I didn't receive anything back, even after more than a month. I had to go to immigration for another matter, so went to the 90 day desk as well to inform them I hadn't received the acknowledgement back in the post.

The girl on the desk, without looking at my passport, or asking any details, said that they hadn't received it!

I had tracked it on the postal tracking website and knew it had been listed as delivered. I showed the IO a copy of the EMS receipt and the tracking printout.

She said that she would need to see who signed for it, and we would have to go to the post office to find out. Luckily, my wife managed to phone the post office, who over the phone gave her the name of the recipient.

Five minutes later, went back to the 90 day desk, told the IO the name. She just looked disdainfully in the direction of another staff member saying, "Oh, that's her."

Without any further hassle she did my 90 day report for me, backdating it to the date on the tracking report.

No mention of any fine (not that there should have been anyway).

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1