Spouse Visa To U.s.a.

I've tried a search and cannot find an answer for my questions. I'm planning on visiting my family in San Francisco this coming Xmas with my Thai wife. I understand the procedure for filing the Non Immigrant Application, and the having the supporting documents together. I have a couple of questions.

Would it be wise to purchase are tickets now for our departure and return in December 2007. Would this help to confirm that my wife is coming back to Thailand?

Also what is the average time it takes to get the interview for the wife once you apply for one. And how long before you get a decision from the Embassy. I have heard different answers ranging from a matter of days to six months or more? Also I assume that you get the visa for the dates that you request right?

I'm retired and have live here for three years; I've been married for a year. Have known my wife for two years. I'm just getting started with this, and I've been doing a lot of reading. Would greatly appreciate any input from you guy's that have been through this.

Many thanks,

-Orangutan

Don't think the tickets would help a lot (easy to cash an unused return), but couldn't hurt either.

State department keeps a web site with waiting times for interview; believe there is a link from Bangkok Embassy site. Most visas issued these days are 10 year multi entry, so validity date won't be a problem.

Since you live here but don't work proving your links to Thailand will have to be done very carefully. Do you have a Type O visa with extensions based on retirement for the past 3 years? Have you bought property or have a long term lease? Do you own a car? Money in joint account in Thailand?

Once you have proven your ties, then the marriage certificate (along with joint accounts and/or ownership) proves your wife's ties to you. Of course if you wife has a job and owns car/property in her name that would be primary reason to return and your ties are then secondary, but still important.

This shouldn't be a problem, but don't take it for granted and be sure to review your documentation from the perspective of the consulate official.

TH

TH,

Thanks for the advice. Yes I have a Type O visa and extensions based on retirement. Money in joint account in Thailand, apartment lease, utility bills, etc. The ten year visa is good news, and makes it easier to plan ahead in making travel arrangements.

-Orangutan