Institute closes temporarily after skytrain brawl kills student

snoop1130

Institute closes temporarily after skytrain brawl kills student

By The Nation

72738e7ea5696686df0446d81b6e95b6.jpeg

Bangkok’s Pathumwan Institute of Technology has announced its temporary closure until Sunday following a brawl on Tuesday between its students and rivals from Rajamangala University of Technology’s Uthen Thawai campus, which led to two Uthen Thawai students being stabbed, one of whom was killed.

The Southern Bangkok Court on Wednesday afternoon issued an arrest warrant for a suspect, Saravuth Sohprasit, 25, for assault leading to serious injury, assault leading to death and carrying a weapon in public.

Following the brawl involving at least 10 students on the National Stadium skytrain station’s elevated bridge, Chanon, 20, succumbed to a fatal stab wound in stomach, while his schoolmate Phuwadech, 22, was in critical condition due to the wounds in the back and torso. The surnames of both students were withheld.

The brawl coincided with Pathumwan’s founding day celebration on Tuesday.

Acting rector Sathien Thanyasrirat signed the order to cancel normal and weekend classes, prohibiting students from entering the institute’s compound without permission. The order was seen as a precaution to ensure the safety of students and staff against possible violence.

Uthen Thawai is closed for a school break and slated to begin its new semester on Monday.

Chanon’s mother said she could not accept what had happened and wanted her son’s death to be the last in student brawls. 

“Since my son studied here, I tried to prepare myself to a certain degree about the violence and students’ tendency to fight to uphold the institute’s reputation, but my son said he just wanted to learn skills to take care of our family in future. I prayed for him and blessed him every morning before he went to school,” she said, while urging students to think about their families and avoid violent brawls.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322587

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-8-2

"Chanon’s mother said she could not accept what had happened and wanted her son’s death to be the last in student brawls."

another very upsetting story of the endless stupidity in Thailand and of some human beings all over this planet.

RIP

"... violence and students’ tendency to fight to uphold the institute’s reputation"

uphold the institute's reputation?  They are killing it. Do they think this is kind of sport (3 killings for us 1  for them)?

If so that kind of institute should be closed forever. 

Edited by sweatalot

January 29, 2009: Students from Bangkok's two warring colleges meet face to face after murders last week. Some of the heat was taken out of the simmering feud between two Pathumwan district colleges yesterday when students from both sides were invited to meet in the office of deputy police commissioner General Jongrak Juthanont. Six students from Rajamangala University of Technology Tawan (Uthen Thawai) and four students from the Pathumwan Institute of Technology showed up to shake hands and exchange flowers in a gesture of peace.

September 18, 2014: Six students are facing the charge of premeditated murder for fatally shooting three students from a rival college to take "revenge for a female friend" who was killed last month. "I did not want to see my friend's attackers go unpunished," Jitdilok Oumchu, a 21-year-old suspect from Rajamangala University, said yesterday. He was referring to the killing of Kankanit Promkaew, who was shot dead at a Bangkok bus stop on August 26. Jitdilok and his five friends shot three students from the rival Pathumwan Institute because they believe students from this college were responsible for Kankanit's death.

October 16, 2014: Pathumwan and Uthenthawai colleges were ordered temporarily shut down after a mass brawl erupted at the Victory Monument after several students from both schools were killed in tit-for-tat revenge murders.

January 30, 2015: According to police, "numerous" shots were fired at Rajamangala University of Technology’s  Uthen Thawai Campus, known to many Thais simply as Uthen Thawai, on Phayathai Road at around 11 pm last night.

January 26, 2016: Bangkok's metropolitan police preemptively raided Uthenthawai's campus and that of the school's archrival, the Pathumwan Institute of Technology, located a short walk away. The bust produced two handguns and ammunition, 55 knives, six bulletproof vests, and materials for making nail bombs.

and today...

What can one expect in such a mindlessly  macho society where kids are taught to love the military (despite all those undemocratic coups) and respect the power of force over reason?

I know from having raised three Thai sons just how tough it is to be young men growing up in a country where guns and knives are routinely and irrationally used to settle minor disputes and to revenge the ultimate act of provocation, causing somebody to lose face.

I suspect that many young men in the Land of Smiles - where a smile at the wrong person, time or place can land you in hospital on life support -  dress and act as women to avoid becoming casualties of a deeply patriarchal culture dominated by a ruling class of latter-day Neanderthals.

Edited by Krataiboy