UMI Super one year on

guzzi850m2

So i had this phone for over a year, got it for 7000 baht at gear-best and paid no import taxes.

For a 200$ phone I been extremely happy with it, fast and a nice user experience.

I will not hesitate getting another UMI when this one dies.

Very good:

5.5" Full HD screen that is beautiful to look at and only 1 very minor scratch on the screen, I don't uses screen protector, gorilla3 or whatever it got, does a good job.

4GB Ram, 32GB Rom expandable to much more, if 1 Sim card slot is used.

The 4000mA battery can easily keep the phone going for 2 days and quick charge via the usb-c connector.

Android 7.0 and very clean version from UMI, no crappy bloatware as seen on so called "superior" brands like Samsung (ha-ha, never again Sammy). Started at 6.0 last year but are getting roughly one update from UMI every 2nd or 3rd month or so.

Wi-Fi on par with other mobile devises I own, Ipad Mini2 among others.

It seems very sturdy, I don't use any case for it and I dropped it once; on the floor tiles in the house, corner of the phone is slightly bent.

Not so good:

Cameras: Well I am a amateur photographer and uses Fuji X and Sony RX100 cameras and they both easily blows the photos from UMI Super out of the water. Photos from the phone are okay in sun/day light but there are better offerings out there.

The speakers are okay for phone calls but nothing to write home about.

Finger print scanner takes some time getting used to, and often more than one scan is needed in order to un-lock the phone. Can be set up-up to 5 finger tips, so both my index fingers can be used for un-locking.

A bit heavy but no a problem for me, got used to it now (sturdy).

The short-cut bottom on the left side of the phone (can be set for 1 app, over 20 to choose from) has not been working for app 6 month, hmm.

DSC03454.JPG.1ffa8d1361950e5f6792098797f47154.JPGDSC03455.JPG.7096acac4c9ee0521cf973742189ecfc.JPG

Edited by guzzi850m2
wrong grammer

I have the UMI Super as well, I loved it, but it had a tragic life. All the things you say are true. it is a very nice phone feels like quality, the screen is great the battery is good, no bloatware. But I broke the screen a little, and then a lot, and then I had a lot of trouble getting it fixed because UMI isn't really supported here. So I had the get the new screen and fix  it myself. That was interesting, but I did it. But then my son threw it and broke the camera, and then my daughter let some other very little kid hold it and they broke the screen again. So now it is done.

None of that is really the fault of the phone of course.

I got a lower end ASUS Zen something for 5k (I only paid 6200 for the Super BTW) and it is a phone and it does stuff  but it is a far cry from the UMI Super, which has basically the same specs as the Galaxy 7.

I promised myself I would keep the Asus for a reasonable amount of time before I buy another phone, but when I do it will be an UMI almost certainly.

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine for around 15 month, for my use I loved it (once I got used to the size). Dropped it once, little bit of damage top and bottom right of the screen but still OK ... dropped it again a couple of weeks ago and cracked the screen almost down the middle (arc between previous damaged corners) so pretty useless as it doesn't detect taps on the right of the screen.

On the plus side, I now know you can plug a mouse into an Android phone and use the mouse to navigate/tap buttons :biggrin: (As I have SIMs and phones encrypted, and on reboot the finger scan doesn't work on first access as a security feature, I couldn't enter the pin codes.)

Week ago I got the UMIDIGI Z Pro as a replacement but only just got hold of the correct sized SIM so not played with it enough to tell if I'll like it as much. I was going to get the red Z1 Pro (basically for the looks)

10533547.png

but given the downgrade in camera's couldn't justify the extra cost.

I have the UMI Super as well, I loved it, but it had a tragic life. All the things you say are true. it is a very nice phone feels like quality, the screen is great the battery is good, no bloatware. But I broke the screen a little, and then a lot, and then I had a lot of trouble getting it fixed because UMI isn't really supported here. So I had the get the new screen and fix  it myself. That was interesting, but I did it. But then my son threw it and broke the camera, and then my daughter let some other very little kid hold it and they broke the screen again. So now it is done.
None of that is really the fault of the phone of course.
I got a lower end ASUS Zen something for 5k (I only paid 6200 for the Super BTW) and it is a phone and it does stuff  but it is a far cry from the UMI Super, which has basically the same specs as the Galaxy 7.
I promised myself I would keep the Asus for a reasonable amount of time before I buy another phone, but when I do it will be an UMI almost certainly.
Same specs as the Galaxy 7 minus the vastly better screen and processor.

My car is basically the same as a Ferrari F40, minus the fast engine and race-bred chassis...

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

1 minute ago, JaseTheBass said:

Same specs as the Galaxy 7 minus the vastly better screen and processor.

My car is basically the same as a Ferrari F40, minus the fast engine and race-bred chassis...

Well it is a quarter of the price after all. And I doubt you would be able to discern the screen difference.

Well it is a quarter of the price after all. And I doubt you would be able to discern the screen difference.

I can tell the difference, it's why I haven't upgraded my S6 yet. Nothing non-Samsung has released anything in the last couple of years which has an equivalent or better screen. Just waiting for the LG V30 to be released and if it delivers what it promises, I'll be a happy bunny.

For the price, it seems the UMI is an excellent phone from reports on here, but it's no S7 or even S6.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2017 at 7:32 PM, Salerno said:

Week ago I got the UMIDIGI Z Pro as a replacement ...

First night in Bangkok (19 August) the touch screen  stopped responding. Tried everything over the next couple of days including a factory reset which didn't  and it just got worse and worse until now it's as dead as a dodo, can't even get it to charge by the looks of things ... not too happy!

Just got home so time to look into the warranty etc.

(FYI when I cracked the screen on the Super I found out you could plug in a mouse if the screens not responding, handy for getting to settings etc. if you hit the same issue with your phone.)