Tourist visa bank account

3 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

Three separate branches of Bangkok Bank asked for proof (?) of residency. K-Bank wanted to see a work or other visa that showed residency.

I think Bangkok bank are usually easier for tourists than k bank. you can get proof of residency from your embassy and I think the police also but not sure. read the other comments. I think it really depends on which branch you go into and whether the person you talk to can be arsed to open it or not. being a smiley happy person will probably help

1 minute ago, bobonzo said:

The US Embassy has an online form that does just that. They will notarized. One of the reps at Bangkok Bank told me that will suffice as proof.

Other branches of Bangkok Bank may not require this.  Mine didn't.  A branch near me asked for a Cert of Residence from Immigration - I used another branch that didn't need this.  My Thai then-GF (now wife) who did not have an account there, was my Thai reference.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:58 AM, lordblackader said:

Despite what is said most banks will simply say no without a long stay visa - yes, they say they will do it on their website, but they'll still say no because it's all too hard for them.

The way to get around it is to take a thai person with you, they sign a sort of guarantor form, then it's all settled. Works perfectly with Bangkok Bank. 

exactly right, the attendant thai i believe is called a 'sponsor', they are only there to help open the account , after that they have NO authority or influence on the account, their name is not on the account unless you want it to be;

the sponsor can be changed later;

if you are an american, a usa-american, then things get just a little bit tougher due to FATCA; that means the bank has to give you a W-9 for you to fillout ( that is a usa IRS form) and then supposedly they send it {somewhere};

due to this extra work, (the forms are in english only) some bank branches are a little skittish on opening accounts for americans; just go to another branch; and along the way, thank the usa IRS and legislature for continuing to make things harder for those of us living permanently overseas

BTW; if you sign one of these W-9s, then your head is above water to the IRS and likely you will Also have to file FBAR report (also ends up at the IRS)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Other branches of Bangkok Bank may not require this.  Mine didn't.  A branch near me asked for a Cert of Residence from Immigration - I used another branch that didn't need this.  My Thai then-GF (now wife) who did not have an account there, was my Thai reference.

one of my experiences went the police route; while at the main station, they called the poo yai baan and he came over , signed and everyone had a good laugh; but it all worked out;'little to no money involved; this was in a smallish city in a generally farming area

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

The US Embassy has an online form that does just that. They will notarized. One of the reps at Bangkok Bank told me that will suffice as proof.

hmmmm; since they cant notarize it online, that strongly suggests you have to go there (i go to c mai); to do that , you need make an online appt, then the notarizing is by no means free; i believe 50$USD; so the whole effort is not trivial; consider yellow book route

9 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

exactly right, the attendant thai i believe is called a 'sponsor', they are only there to help open the account , after that they have NO authority or influence on the account, their name is not on the account unless you want it to be;

the sponsor can be changed later;

if you are an american, a usa-american, then things get just a little bit tougher due to FATCA; that means the bank has to give you a W-9 for you to fillout ( that is a usa IRS form) and then supposedly they send it {somewhere};

due to this extra work, (the forms are in english only) some bank branches are a little skittish on opening accounts for americans; just go to another branch; and along the way, thank the usa IRS and legislature for continuing to make things harder for those of us living permanently overseas

BTW; if you sign one of these W-9s, then your head is above water to the IRS and likely you will Also have to file FBAR report (also ends up at the IRS)

If a USA-Citizen has more than the threshold in an overseas account, that form is necessary.  This is why many opt to use income or the combo-method (if retirement) for their extensions - to keep their foreign-balance below the threshold, and avoid the IRS reporting requirement.

1 minute ago, YetAnother said:

hmmmm; since they cant notarize it online, that strongly suggests you have to go there (i go to c mai); to do that , you need make an online appt, then the notarizing is by no means free; i believe 50$USD; so the whole effort is not trivial; consider yellow book route

Yes - you download it, fill/print, create appt online, go through prison-like security including handing over your phone and any electronic thing, pay $50, swear it is true to a consular officier, get the official stamp on the document, then go back through security out.  Sometimes you can wait an hour+ (w/o phone) for your turn in line, but they have a few magazines to read.

Just now, bobonzo said:

Since I live in Bangkok, a trip to the Embassy is no biggie. Yes, you need an online appointment. They seem to be pretty efficient, as my last dealings there took all of 10 mins.

don't they charge quite a lot at the embassy? isn't it cheaper and simple to get from local police as I have heard some people have done

Just now, bobonzo said:

US Embassy charges B1750 to notarize.  I was not aware the police could do something similar until now.

i'm not sure they can it's just what I heard. would be interesting to know if anyone can confirm it as it could be cheaper than at embassy. I was told by some guy that he took his rental contract to his local copshop and they gave him a letter for a couple of hundred baht. whether that's true I can't confirm

For folks in Chaingmai on tourist visas.  The Bangkok Bank in the Promenade will open an account with a copy of your lease.  Tried KBank first and they said no and sent me to Bangkok Bank.  No internet banking was offered on tourist visa, was told to come back next week with my O Visa and they would turn on the internet banking.

• Like 1

On a side note, which bank to choose? Krungsri or TMB? I heard that you don't pay extra's if you withdraw money from an ATM of another bank?

Krungsri because they don't charge when you withdraw money when you are out of your home province?

Can someone verify above statements? :-)

14 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i'm not sure they can it's just what I heard. would be interesting to know if anyone can confirm it as it could be cheaper than at embassy. I was told by some guy that he took his rental contract to his local copshop and they gave him a letter for a couple of hundred baht. whether that's true I can't confirm

I'd like to know alternatives to this too, as the UK embassy is even more expensive. I've found bangkok bank friendly and helpful, but completely unwilling to budge on the proof of residence from embassy requirements. Apparently this was a top down change in procedure from about three years ago. 

On 8/4/2017 at 8:01 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure where you applying for a visa at. You could get a single entry non-o in Laos with no financial proof.

I am actually planning on going to Loas, I was under the impression that I need financial proof for applying for the non O. Can you send me a link to any information or forum confirming this? You seem to by the authority on visa information and I trust what you say, I just need to read up on it a little bit

On 8/4/2017 at 7:20 AM, Idiotabroad said:

I am asking for recommendations for opening a bank account on a tourist visa. I am a single father of 2 children and I plan on getting a non O visa based on my children being half Thai and I am their sole legal gardian.

I was replying to this line in the topic.

3 minutes ago, Idiotabroad said:

I am actually planning on going to Loas, I was under the impression that I need financial proof for applying for the non O. Can you send me a link to any information or forum confirming this?

You can get a single entry non-o visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos based upon being the parent of a Thai without any financial proof. People get them all the time without it at those locations.  I think you may be confusing the requirements to get an extension of stay at immigration the visa requirement.

You will see no mention of financial proof in the requirement here from the Vientiane website. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non- ED & O.pdf

To get a multiple entry non-o visa in Penang Malaysia you would need the 400k baht in the bank.

• Thanks 1

update on bank account:

I got the affidavit of residence notarized at Embassy and went to Bangkok Bank (branch at Emquartier )where they happily accepted it and opened an account for me in about 10 mins. The clerk knew exactly what to do and I had no problems at all.

The one kicker was when I asked about Online Banking. She said it was only offered for customers with a work permit, but they were changing that policy in October.

22 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

The one kicker was when I asked about Online Banking. She said it was only offered for customers with a work permit, but they were changing that policy in October.

Did you get a ATM/debit card?

If you do have one you can set up online banking  no matter what account they set up for you.

Info for setting it up online is here: https://ibanking.bangkokbank.com/Register/SignUp.aspx

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Did you get a ATM/debit card?

If you do have one you can set up online banking  no matter what account they set up for you.

Info for setting it up online is here: https://ibanking.bangkokbank.com/Register/SignUp.aspx

well...unless you have the account without work permit....

" Sorry, your profile information is not complete. Please contact a Bangkok Bank branch for Bualuang iBanking registration. "

45 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

well...unless you have the account without work permit....

" Sorry, your profile information is not complete. Please contact a Bangkok Bank branch for Bualuang iBanking registration. "

Perhaps something else is wrong.

You can also the first part of the registration on a ATM by getting a temporary login and password.

I have online banking and don't have a work permit.

• 2 weeks later...

i have some news for you from last week:

At first lake ratchada Kbank wanted a work permit. All SCB and Kbanks want a work permit (or you have a bought a condo, then they make an exception).

Citibank Asoke BTS happily opens an account on a Passport and drivers license or Valid Credit card with same name on it (also 8 other documents accepted) when you can deposit 1 million into the account in 7 days after opening.

Krungsri opens only with a passport and rental contract.

Bangkok Bank opens with a letter from your embassay.

I didnt check out LH Bank and the united pacific bank yet. If anyone has infos of them, please share.

I was around the Tourist areas Nana and Asoke only. I dont have the impression, that some branches are easier then others for opening a bank account. I got the same answers in every branch. I have been to about 3 krungsri branches, 4 KBank branches, 4 SCB Branches, 4 Bangkok Bank branches and to branches of other banks i cant remember now in total.

• Like 1

I will go so far as to say that everything about how you present yourself at the bank makes a difference. They clearly have a lot of discretion and there doesn't seem to be any policy written in stone. Your passport/nationality, race, age, attire and temperament make a difference. You can get a lot done if you are polite and persistent in the Thai/playful way.

Reporting from Phuket, these are my recent experiences. I have a third world country's passport and am on a tourist visa:

• Krungsri Bank at Central Festival will open an FCD (US dollar) account for you. Expect to be shot down at first when they find out you don't have a work permit. Then ask for a dollar account and say that you read on their website that it can be opened as a tourist (which it can). There are some limitations to this account. The ATM card that you get with it can only be used at Krungsri ATMs. There is no internet banking. And you can not easily receive domestic transfers/Baht transfers from others in Thailand. But it's good for receiving funds from overseas.
  • Bangkok Bank in Phuket town will open a Baht account for you (but strangely, without internet banking) if you present them with a residency certificate (easy to get at Phuket immigration).
  • Krungsri Bank on Sai Yuan road in Rawai is used to dealing with foreigners and will open a normal/fully functional Thai Baht account for you complete with internet banking and mobile app. They will tell you what documents you need. My Thai drivers license and Passport with tourist visa was enough in my case. Without the Thai license, you would have to submit a copy of your house lease/contract, and a copy of your land lord's blue book and a letter from the landlord.

So before trying to open a bank account, get the residency certificate from your local immigration office first. This can also be used to get a Thai driving license- which strengthens your case and identity when you try to open a bank account. The Thai license is an important document and easy to get- it can be used to fly domestic without your passport, which if you ever end up on overstay- is a blessing.

On 8/5/2017 at 1:28 PM, seancbk said:

My advice would be don't go to banks in shopping malls, don't go to banks on the outskirts of Bangkok, instead try ones in the farang heavy business areas or tourist areas.  Any bank branch that already has a high percentage of farang customers is more likely to say yes.

Can confirm that, from not very recent, experience. Don't even try SCB without a Thai guarantor; all other commercial banks in 'tourist areas' should be fine, perhaps trying a branch a few blocks further down the road, if necessary.

7 hours ago, post said:

Just a matter of interest: What is the letter about?

Or a certified copy of passport needed?

You go to your embassy and tell them you want to open an account with bangkok bank and that you need to verify, that this passport is indeed your passport.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, simplysocial said:

You go to your embassy and tell them you want to open an account with bangkok bank and that you need to verify, that this passport is indeed your passport.

Because a piece of paper is harder to fake than a biometric passport.

Logical :-)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...