PM wants grandchild to renounce US nationality

geovalin

Prime Minister Hun Sen has said he wants his American-born grandchild to renounce US citizenship. Speaking yesterday at a meeting with Cambodian teams due to take part in the SEA Games later this month, Mr Hun Sen said he was worried his grandchild would be required to join up for military service in the US.

He did not say which of his grandchildren he was referring to, but expressed concern the child could one day have to fight against other countries in the name of the US. He added that the child was born in the US while its parents continued their studies there.

“I am looking into how to make my grandchild renounce US nationality,” Mr Hun Sen said, warning he could not allow the child to fight against other countries in the future. Political analyst So Chantha said individuals have the right to keep dual citizenship or renounce one as they see fit.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5076535/pm-wants-grandchild-renounce-us-nationality/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 04/08

I think that the Grandchild should be more than willing to do so, on the condition that his wealthy, influential Grandfather buys him citizenship in some other western, First World country.

There are plenty of countries selling citizenship, maybe Canada or some European country, would be a far better choice for the Grandson anyway.

Only a million or two dollars, and I'm sure that is pocket change for his Grandfather.

29 minutes ago, NoBrainer said:

I think that the Grandchild should be more than willing to do so, on the condition that his wealthy, influential Grandfather buys him citizenship in some other western, First World country.

There are plenty of countries selling citizenship, maybe Canada or some European country, would be a far better choice for the Grandson anyway.

Only a million or two dollars, and I'm sure that is pocket change for his Grandfather.

Hun Sen is possibly worried that the grand child might be poisoned by those absurd American values, like democracy, justice, and laws that prohibit murdering and imprisoning people just because they are political opponents.

No room for those dangerous ideas in Hun Sen's regime. 

As an American, I say good riddance to any of his progeny. But most likely the real reason is very simple: Taxes!!

The US is one of the few countries in the world to tax it's citizens income no matter where it is earned. Once his 14-yr old grandson starts sucking up the riches like the rest of Hun Sen's family, he will subject to paying US tax on it. This could open a door for the US Gov't to prosecute him for failure to pay taxes on what is generally assumed to be very substantial income.

Boris Johnson had the same issue and renounced his citizenship over it. But Boris is at least a somewhat respectable human being unlike the Hun Sen crowd.

10 hours ago, phkauf said:

... But most likely the real reason is very simple: Taxes!!...

Guaranteed this is the reason. The nonsense about military service is nothing but bovidae fecal matter. The US has a very strong voluntary recruitment system that offers jobs to the increasing number of jobless. There is no fear of conscription being reinstated, and a wealthy Khmerican has absolutely no reason to be concerned.

This is entirely because Hun Sen can not use his grandson as a conduit for hiding wealth and money laundering as long as he remains a US citizen.

Still, I say renounce. He can certainly the afford the $2400 extortion fee the US government charges for it.

A wise decision, Your Excellency PM Hun Sen. 

It's about time people realise that holding US citizenship is more of a scourge and curse than a blessing or opportunity. 

Given a choice between Cambodian and US citizenship, I wouldn't hesitate refusing the latter. Even if it came for free with a substantial monetary bonus plus plus plus. I consider myself most fortunate to not belong to and owe allegiance to this nation of tigger-happy, war-mongering hypocrites.