Small run manufacturing of plastic seats

makingthingswork

Hi i am looking to find a company who can manufacture plastic seats for me for my bar stools, I require approx 100 per month. I have 3D drawings and will pay for moulds, but for the love of me I can only find companies that want you to make 10.000 at a time, which is crazy.

Any advice on trusted companies or where I may have better luck finding someone would be appreciated. Sadly Google has been exhausted, it appears that many small businesses do not have websites or Facebook pages for some reason here.

I am sure any company will make you 100. The question is how much per unit? 

They have to set up their machine for 100+ cycles. Set up/clean up time is the same no matter how many. 100 units may take, lets be generous and say, 2 hours. But they will charge you for 8 hrs probably as by the time they set up again it will be a new day. 

So your price will be machine operation for 1 day + set up + weight of material + tear-down/ clean up = 

If you only need 100 per month why not do them out of GRP etc.. Then they can make three a day etc. OR order 6 months worth? 600 at a time. 

I can put you in touch with a molding guy if you wish.  Just let me know.

Edited by VocalNeal

Thanks for such a quick response.  I need to take the product to market to determine the level of sales, as I do not have a total manufacturing price as yet I am unable to price them and secure sales. Ordering 6 months worth of a product that might not sell, does not make much sense.

Can you kindly explain your comment below

""If you only need 100 per month why not do them out of GRP etc.. Then they can make three a day etc"'

if a company is happy to make 3 a day that would be fine, but  I need to order other parts to attach to the seat and then assemble and ship . My website will say shipment within 21 days of order as some of the products will have additional stickers attached to make them bespoke to the bar or their target market.

.If you know of anyone that can help please let me know, many thanks 

What I am alluding is that you/someone could make them out of GRP which is commonly called fibreglass. You do have to wait for the resin to cure so that cuts down cycle time.

You need a master shape to make the moulds but once done you can then make a few moulds to get production to more than a few a day. 

The problem you are, or maybe, encountering is plastic moulding is for high volumes, which you don't want. 

Edited by VocalNeal

Have talked to the bucket man. He reckons about $150,000 for the mould and about $12-15 for the actual chair. He said if they are good and strong etc.. he could sell some for you.

Barstools as you know have to put up with fat drunks etc..

He said look at Srithai Superware 

So I'm still going with fibreglass for small runs. 

38 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Have talked to the bucket man. He reckons about $150,000 for the mould and about $12-15 for the actual chair. He said if they are good and strong etc.. he could sell some for you.

Barstools as you know have to put up with fat drunks etc..

He said look at Srithai Superware 

So I'm still going with fibreglass for small runs. 

Hi

Fibreglass seems my better option then, 

I have just got a quote for 30,000 baht for a fibreglass mould and 3D  demo model

waiting for a few  more to come back to me, sadly in Thailand 2 weeks seems to be the norm for replying to quote requests

The journey continues lol

On 04/08/2017 at 1:42 PM, VocalNeal said:

He reckons about $150,000 for the mould

I know absolutely zero about this, so could you tell me (in layman's terms) why the cost if a mould is so high please?

Is it the material, the manufacturing cost or a bit of both?

Thanks!