Woman killed, five injured as pickup truck overturns in Nong Khai

webfact

Woman killed, five injured as pickup truck overturns in Nong Khai

By The Nation

NONG KHAI: -- A woman was killed and five other members of her family were injured when a pickup truck taking them home from their construction jobs overturned on a Nong Khai road.

Police suspect that the pickup’s left rear tyre burst, leading to the accident.

Police said the accident happened at 7pm on the Mittraparp road in Nong Khai’s Mueang district.

Ben Rakkhasen, 35, died at the scene of severe head wounds after she was hurled out of the back of the pickup and landed on the middle of the road.

Her mother, Ai Rakkhasen, 67, said the truck was being driven by a construction contractor.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322770

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-04

4 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Rear tires bursting don't normally result in a vehicle overturning

Actually they can, back in the 90's the ford explorers in America were investigated by officials after it was reported that they had an extraordinarily high amount of rollover accidents. Investigators found that the rollovers were caused not by the vehicles but by the tires, people who were still driving on the factory installed tires once they were badly worn were experiencing blowouts and when the blowout was on the rear at highway speeds the result was that the rear of the vehicle "steered itself" and no matter what the driver did in many cases they lost control and rolled.

The result of these findings went against the old idea that a blowout on the rear was better than on the front. The fact is that if a front tire blows out the driver can still steer it. I know all of this because I was a Ford dealer technician then. 

That said, no matter what the cause may she rest in peace and the others recover well

Edited by Lee4Life
add well wishes

1 hour ago, Lee4Life said:

Actually they can, back in the 90's the ford explorers in America were investigated by officials after it was reported that they had an extraordinarily high amount of rollover accidents. Investigators found that the rollovers were caused not by the vehicles but by the tires, people who were still driving on the factory installed tires once they were badly worn were experiencing blowouts and when the blowout was on the rear at highway speeds the result was that the rear of the vehicle "steered itself" and no matter what the driver did in many cases they lost control and rolled.

The result of these findings went against the old idea that a blowout on the rear was better than on the front. The fact is that if a front tire blows out the driver can still steer it. I know all of this because I was a Ford dealer technician then. 

That said, no matter what the cause may she rest in peace and the others recover well

Interesting, so not a design fault exactly (although just one make), just negligent owners/drivers that hadn't changed worn out tyres. That is common here.

Another tip on tyres: anyone that drives over speed bumps should be careful not to do so in a way that damages the inside tyre walls.

:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

As you say that was in the 90's

"Police suspect that the pickup’s left rear tyre burst, leading to the accident."

So far the comments have been about what would really happen if a rear tyre bursts...my question: How the hell did the police, taking an account of the accident scene with 5 people dead (I.e. seriously mangled truck) come to this conclusion. Also, why are posters that usually don't believe anything the POS (Police Of Siam) of Thailand says, yet suddenly try to find excuses for the shit driving

Had a front tyre blow out in a 65 Plymouth when I was doing 115 mph. It seemed to float till the speed was down to 50 mph then I really had to hang on to the steering till it dropped to about 30 mph and it went down on to the rim. It was to hot to change for about 1 hour.

4 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Had a front tyre blow out in a 65 Plymouth when I was doing 115 mph. It seemed to float till the speed was down to 50 mph then I really had to hang on to the steering till it dropped to about 30 mph and it went down on to the rim. It was to hot to change for about 1 hour.

That (blowout) doesn't normally happen with tubeless tyres.

7 hours ago, SABloke said:

"Police suspect that the pickup’s left rear tyre burst, leading to the accident."

So far the comments have been about what would really happen if a rear tyre bursts...my question: How the hell did the police, taking an account of the accident scene with 5 people dead (I.e. seriously mangled truck) come to this conclusion. Also, why are posters that usually don't believe anything the POS (Police Of Siam) of Thailand says, yet suddenly try to find excuses for the shit driving

How did you come to the conclusion that five people died?

16 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

"Actually they can, back in the 90's the ford explorers in America were investigated by officials after it was reported that they had an extraordinarily high amount of rollover accidents. Investigators found that the rollovers were caused not by the vehicles but by the tires,"

That was back in the  90's, and, if I recall correctly, this occasioned a huge (for then) recall?

This was, I believe, a Toyota Hilux, one of the most popular pick-ups worldwide and not, thus far, supposedly blighted by the same issues as Ford had (bear in mind that the quality of Detroit manufacturing was already in decline back then).

I would have to believe that, 20-30 years later, the quality of the suspension systems have improved greatly and ABS is almost standard on most utility vehicles, for just this reason.

I bought a new Ford Ranger in late  2000 that had the same 'problem' tires.     (It was a 2001 model).

I don't remember the exact time frame, but I think I only had 15000 miles on the tires when they were recalled, and the dealer put a set of new tires on.

I still think the tire problem was compound by driver error.

A few months ago my GF had some work done on her house.    I was away when they arrived, but got back shortly after they started work.      I noticed an old toyota single cab pickup,  6 workers, and a lot of supplies and tools, including a few sections of scaffolding.        All six arrived in that pickup, from at least 125 km away.

At least 3 had to be sitting on top of all of the tools, and junk, in the back.    They went home the same way, but at least there was a little more room in the truck bed.