Inquest finds former land official “murdered” while in custody

Jonathan Fairfield

14 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Absolutely no question.....hung by a towel?.....

Better story than shooting him for trying to escape after bending the bars to slide out on a roll of toilet paper like Arlo in Alice's restaurant .

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, greenchair said:

Omg, could I dare to say justice is turning a new corner. 

Now let's see if the investigation hits a wall. 

Well done courts. 

No unfortunately this courts findings will be swept under the carpet, like so many others. Just think how powerful a person must be to get someone murdeed by the DSI or by someone working for the DSI? Such a person will never be brought to justice in Thailand.

41 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

We know he was murdered BUT there is no evidence as to the perpetrators. Extrajudicial killing..no justice here. Case closed.

Yup.... he was murdered, but we don't want the murderer to loose face! Case closed. 

17 hours ago, Nip said:

Dare I suggest that it suited the US and certain members of the local constsbulary that the founder of the dark web met a similar end?.

I don't know about the U.S. part. But it's cases like this one with the former land guy that helped give rise to the widespread speculation here that the Canadian guy didn't do himself in. It's not the first time, and it surely won't be the last here in LFS - Land of Fake Suicides!

In this case, if the attackers had just rendered the guy unconscious first -- instead of nearly beating him to death -- and then hung him, the autopsy and inquest probably would never have concluded it was murder / death at the hands of another.  But then, this being Thailand, they typically don't have to worry about covering themselves for such details.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Prisoners die in the cells while waiting trial. In this case, the court even inquest say murder. Any other democratic country with a decent rule of law will be at an uproar demanding answers and even a commission set up to seek answers. Yet we have the junta PM and his appointed police chief keeping silence and seem not interested. Showed their poor level of governance, responsibilities and accountability to the citizens. 

What never ceases to amaze me here is that now the brother has to 'consider' what to do next. Why, if murder (or any other legal transgression for that matter) is the finding, is it up to an individual to launch and prosecute an investigation? I know it obviously begs the question - who investigates the perpetrators if the investigating body itself is under suspicion of possible involvement, but surely somewhere there are honest and trustworthy individuals to whom this could be entrusted? Elliot Somchai Ness? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller?

Edited by Sir Swagman
grammer

18 hours ago, Artisi said:

Of course they are suicide, all carefully investigated by the the unbiased perpetrators. 

and soo many banana peels on the high rise balconies .....tsk tsk tsk 

46 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Prisoners die in the cells while waiting trial. In this case, the court even inquest say murder. Any other democratic country with a decent rule of law will be at an uproar demanding answers and even a commission set up to seek answers. Yet we have the junta PM and his appointed police chief keeping silence and seem not interested. Showed their poor level of governance, responsibilities and accountability to the citizens. 

Just as all the previous governments, civilian or military, elected or "appointed", have done Eric.

When a senior police officer can be photographed cavorting with a known criminal fugitive on a jaunt to HK; then try and board a plane in Japan with a gun and bullets as carry-ons; and get totally away with it, what chance any reforms.

Look at the crimes reported that seems to go now where. Whatever happened to the case of the billionaire who died in a very unusual road accident and whose shares had been the subject of fraudulent transfers? That involved an ex senior police officer and former MP.

Murder doesn't seem to have the same connotations here, especially when the well connected hiso types are involved.

The only progress has been cases which have attracted wide spread social media comment. 

Btw, all police chiefs have been appointed AFAIK.

Don't hold your breath for any reforms - whichever government is in office.

55 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

What never ceases to amaze me here is that now the brother has to 'consider' what to do next. Why, if murder (or any other legal transgression for that matter) is the finding, is it up to an individual to launch and prosecute an investigation? I know it obviously begs the question - who investigates the perpetrators if the investigating body itself is under suspicion of possible involvement, but surely somewhere there are honest and trustworthy individuals to whom this could be entrusted? Elliot Somchai Ness? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller?

You'd hope the police would pick this up automatically and pursue it. The DSI aren't there to investigate murders, especially when death occurs in their cells.

Internal Affairs, Independent Police Complaints Commission, or some equivalent. Does one exist in Thailand?

16 hours ago, greenchair said:

I thought similar. That was beyond weird. 

So a sock is good for murder, a towel is undoubtedly a suicide!  I guess a belt would constitute something between an accident and misadventure?

Amazing Thailand.

Edited by saminoz

"Dare I suggest that it suited the US and certain members of the local constsbulary that the founder of the dark web met a similar end?."

Yes, This guy had $100 million, why suicide when others have bought their way out of trouble here with a lot lss in assets than him. 

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Jail ‘self-hanging’ a killing: Court

n1.jpeg

The Criminal Court on Friday ruled that a former land official who died last year while in custody of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) was killed.

Tawatchai Anukul, a former official wanted for illegally registering land deeds for about 1,000 plots in Phuket and Phang-Nga, made headlines last year when he was found dead while being detained by DSI in August last year. 

At the time, it was said that Tawatchai hanged himself. The court, however, has ruled that there is no evidence about who killed Tawatchai during his detention.

DSI officials earlier said Tawatchai had hanged himself by attaching a sock to his detention room door. 

His death occurred just one day after he was arrested for wrongfully exercising his duties as an official of the Provincial Land Department.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322802

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-04

obviously so he couldn't implicate the big fish that he fudged the land deeds for;

i would bet that the recent Alpha Bay founder "suicide" was also murder for same reason,

the big fish who were allowing him to operate here didn't want any heat...

:coffee1:

55 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

obviously so he couldn't implicate the big fish that he fudged the land deeds for;

i would bet that the recent Alpha Bay founder "suicide" was also murder for same reason,

the big fish who were allowing him to operate here didn't want any heat...

:coffee1:

Hello Jenifer - how you doing? Good I hope.

Either as you say, and perhaps he was threatening to spill the beans unless they let him go; or he received a beating that went to far and this was the cover up plan.

But for this to happen, in DSI custody is really horrendous and demands a real full scale investigation. But they're won't be one. So we'll never know who and why.

21 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Thai justice will always remain in the slow lane. A year to work out that someone (hereafter referred to as the killer) helped him hang himself with his sock. Expect another 10 years or more for "justice" to find the guilty party "not guilty".

Justice is non-existent in Thailand. Expect none this time.