Moving Android Apps from Nexus 5 to Nexus 6 by bluetooth or ???

oldcarguy

Hi,

I just got a Nexus 6 and I want to transfer all my Apps from my Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6

Can I do it by Bluetooth ?

or do I need to download to my laptop and then upload them to the Nexus 6 ,

there are probably 30 or so apps and it would take a  long time to do it thru the Play Store

The Nexus 6 has a much larger screen ,  but since I just got it today I have no idea if its too large to carry around all the time !

or if it will  fit in my front pocket  ????

Thanks for your help

When I last got a new phone, I just logged in to my play store account and I was asked if I wanted the same apps on the new phone and that was that.

You can easily get into trouble if you download your apps to your laptop and then to your new phone, I don't know if it's even possible to do, maybe not.

You do better with downloading the free app, Shareit. Download it on both phones, and it will be easy to transfer all apps from one phone to the by using wifi. When the apps are installed on both phones, startthe apps and on one phone you click receive and on the other send. Because it uses wifi, it will be fast.

Bluetooth will be too slow to transfer. I'd suggest get 3rd party app to transfer but not all apps can be transferred successfully. I had nexus 6 before and find it too big for one hand use. I doubt it will fit on jeans pocket. Normal should be ok.

Thanks for all your ideas......

The Nexus 6 is pretty big but I use it for Internet and have my old Flip Phone for calling ,

So if I have to use 2  hands not a problem ,

But it does need to fit into a front pocket , the Nexus 5 fits OK , but the Nexus 6 is a lot wider,

As   far as the apps , there are more Apps in my Google Play Store account then I have on  the phone since they were on the Free list one day :)

And a few Pinball games for when I am bored :)

Cheers

Transferring apps can be accomplished using Tap & Go during initial set-up of the GNex6 - this option will be presented - and is accomplished via NFC/BlueTooth and putting the phones back-to-back briefly.  (The BlueTooth 'session' is just to establish a link between the two devices in the Google/Android dpmain, and is not used to transfer any data; that is done between the new device and Google, preferably over WiFi.)

Or you can just use the same Google account, then your apps will automagically be downloaded.

Moving end-user data, especially that associated with specific apps, can be more challenging and may require some unique activities.

There are a gazillion videos on Youtube, some of which might help?

I have both a GNex 5 and a GNex 6, both on the same Google account. I haven't replaced my GNex 6 as I haven't found a device which is comparable - size, price, performance, features.

I flashed the August security update (N6F27I - full factory image) for my Nexus 6 yesterday. It took ~ 60 minutes to re-download ~ 100 apps over WiFi. I only chose those applications I wanted, from the Play Store app., under "Library". It took longer to re-enter all my passwords for various apps, re-root the phone, add off-market apps, flash a custom launcher (Pixel Launcher).

On the Nexus 5 make sure you have (Settings, Backup & reset) Back up my data set to On, an Automatic restore ticked on. Then just use the same Google account on the Nexus 6.

If you go it on the Playstore its easy just long press each app and then click install, then it will do all of them in one.

Infact the steps are, open playstore then click the 3 lines on the left and then click My apps and Games then click Library and then long press the ones you want to install.

Click go and then 1 cup of tea later its all done.

Edited by 2008bangkok