Watsons vs Boots 5 blade razor systems - views?

SooKee

With the ever increasing prices and what seems to be like ever degrading quality (esp longevity wise!) of the Gillette Mach 3 razor blades (now approx 500 baht + for a 4 pack) I'm pondering switching to one of the above (already dumped the Gillette foam in favour of 'Barbesol' from Villa Markets at half the price).  I do use a traditional safety razor and brush / cream when I'm at home (and/or when I can be bothered) but still keep the speed systems and foam in for travel and when I'm feeling lazy.

I've heard good things about the Boots branded system where the razor, with one free blade, comes in at 400 baht.  The blades are 400 for a pack of four also.  Cheaper than Gillette but not by so much.  Some folks have also mentioned the Watsons brand.  These are much cheaper, 259 for the razor with one free blade and 259 for a pack of 4 blades.  All things being equal of course the Watsons system sounds much better value IF the quality is up there alongside the Boots system.  Would be interested to hear, particularly from anyone that's tried both, whether the Watsons blades last as long as (or even outlast) the Boots brand and/or whether the quality of the shave is as good.

Was even planning to try both, side by side, on alternating days (and might still even do that) but would rather avoid the hassle if the difference in quality is so noticeably marked.

Edited by SooKee

Ive been using the bic three blade razor.

Tesco lotus were doing a 'plomotion' the razor and two blades for 99baht.

I find they are better than Gillete and last considerably longer as well as being much cheaper.

The razor is grey and orange in colour.

^^^ wow beat me to it.

Edited by tj916

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I have found Bic Easy Clic from Lotus to be very good at 110 baht per 4 blades.  Did not like the more expensive 4 blade model.  Previously used Mach 3 and there 5 blade models.

Bic Easy Clic Pre Season Refillable Shaver 3pcsBic Easy Clic! 3 Blades Refillable Shaver 4pcs

lopburi3 is correct with his post...I have been using the above product for the 8 years I have been in Thailand...8 years ago the packs of blades were 65b...today they 110b...no big deal

The Gillete products seem to be increasing in price weekly...my local Tesco has some packs of 4 Gillete blades at a ridiculous 900b.

The Barbasol foam cans are the way to go also (American import) at Tesco...avoid the Gillete ones..to expensive.

As an alternative shaving cream go to The Body Shop and purchase a pottle of "Macca Root" shaving cream...around 600b ..expensive but will last you a year or more (no BS)...this stuff is a "natural" cream derived from some peruvian plant...and will give you the closest shave imaginable...like a babies bum.

You will need one of those old fashioned shaving brushes to use the Macca Root product 60b and these are  available at Ma and Pa shops...or your local mens hairdresser.

long post......but this is an important "man only" issue...right.....hahaha

I've tried most razors on the market and now only ever use Watson's own brand 5 blade system. I bought some in Phetchabun recently on special offer at 50% promotion discount. A good shave at a sensible price, even when there's no discount. I'd be very sad if I couldn't buy them anymore!!!

42 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

lopburi3 is correct with his post...I have been using the above product for the 8 years I have been in Thailand...8 years ago the packs of blades were 65b...today they 110b...no big deal

The Gillete products seem to be increasing in price weekly...my local Tesco has some packs of 4 Gillete blades at a ridiculous 900b.

The Barbasol foam cans are the way to go also (American import) at Tesco...avoid the Gillete ones..to expensive.

As an alternative shaving cream go to The Body Shop and purchase a pottle of "Macca Root" shaving cream...around 600b ..expensive but will last you a year or more (no BS)...this stuff is a "natural" cream derived from some peruvian plant...and will give you the closest shave imaginable...like a babies bum.

You will need one of those old fashioned shaving brushes to use the Macca Root product 60b and these are  available at Ma and Pa shops...or your local mens hairdresser.

long post......but this is an important "man only" issue...right.....hahaha

Spot on with the Boots Macca Root shaving cream, that's the one I use.  Not long bought some at around 600 baht, think it was 500 a year or so ago when I bought two (could be mistaken though), like you say, pricey but it lasts.  

For brushes I find Siam Wet Shave the best source, again, not cheap but better than the Mom & Pop store products I find (where the brushes are too small with overly stiff, and not densely enough stacked, synthetic bristles).  Well cared for a badger or boar brush will last for years.  The boar brushes are about half the price (also good, but take longer to break in I find) and even the synthetics from there I think would be better.

http://www.siamwetshave.com/en/product-category/shaving-brushes/boar-brushes/

1 hour ago, Andyfez said:

I like the Watsons product.

But they ran out of stock everywhere for a month a while back.....

I find the blades last me about 12 days. But some people say up to a month.

Surprised to read above about the Watsons blade longevity - 12 days!!!!  Wow, that's short!!  Might give that Bic system a try, or just splash out on a worthy project, buy all three razors (Watsons, Boots and Bic) and run all three side by side and rotate daily noting which dulls / blunts first until we have a winner.  Also be interesting to see which one shaves under the nose better. My what an exciting life!!!!  

Edited by SooKee

Razor blade manufactures bring out new models every few months its simply marketing .Over the years we have gone from one blade to 2, then 3, then 5,  next year I guess there will be 6.

I use a shaving brush and Sunlight soap which Aussies would remember is a laundry, lemon scented, laundry soap,9 baht a piece and BIC's plastic, 2 blade, 5 in a pack.

They were on special recently at Tesco for 34 baht.  I bought 10  packs which will take me through to next year as one shaver lasts me a week.

Yes I am a cheap charlie but paying 100's of baht for blades and the over the top costs of shaving cream is just  a cash cow for manufacturers.

Ever noticed how much the likes of Gillette and co spend on TV advertising,its all passed on to the consumer...marketing 

I agree the prices of Gilette are ridiculous but they are about the same as in the USA. And I am sure they do not manufacture here. 

Shaving cream is considerably more expensive here, I find. But I can find good gels and Nivea which I like. 

Also, I find the Gillette razors last me a ridiculously long time - weeks, and occasionally I think, up to a month before I really notice it and change the blade. I have an average or above average beard growth - in a previous life when I shaved at 6 am and had an event in the evening, I would shave again at 6 or 7 pm. Here I dont care so much and am sometimes in bed by then ;)

Point being: I dont see much savings in switching for me. I find the Gillette product lasts a very long time. And it has been years since I tried the disposable bic razors, but when I did they were horrible! Maybe their technology has changed... 

7 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:
7 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

Point being: I dont see much savings in switching for me. I find the Gillette product lasts a very long time. And it has been years since I tried the disposable bic razors, but when I did they were horrible! Maybe their technology has changed... 

Agree with you on the disposable bics. Horrible things.

But the bic easy clic cartridge type as shown above, are much much better.

Edited by tj916

I'd agree the Gillette last a reasonably long time but 500 baht for 4 is pushing it.  If push comes to shove I'll stick with them I suppose but if I find the other brands mentioned can match the Gillette VFM wise I'll switch.

I did try the Gatsby Shaving Gel ages back.  Not sure what the others are like but I found that brand awful.  Slop it on, wait, and it's still like just taking a razor to the face dry for me, never seemed to soften the beard at all, ended up chucking it, it was so bad.  Tried the soap and conditioner options as well over the years, still find a cream or foam does a better job, for me anyways, conditioner at a real push if I've forgotten to pack whatever I intended, but not on a day-to-day basis.

Edited by SooKee

If I could I would still use a Bic single blade but you cant get them here, so I make do with the twin blade. I compared the bic and Gillette twins and the bic won, I get 15 days out of each one, change on the 1st and 16th of each month just like the lottery. Dont use any shave cream as learnt to save time while in the military and shave in the shower, use the shampoo foam as my shave cream.

Here's a tip I have been dpung for years. I keep 1cm of baby oil in a stainless jar near the shower and place my razor in that. Blades actually don't dull, the very sharp razor edge oxidises in the air (rusts) which coats and clogs the edge. Baby oil slows the rusting process and also helps lubricate and moisturise your skin. I usually get 5-6 weeks per blade which is about 8 or so blades a year. I use Gilette and agree about how expensive they are. We are being totally ripped off. Haven't tried this with disposables but would be interested in experiences.

Audragon. 

Some things you just don't skimp on...

I use traditional safety (butterfly) wet razor with Proraso  Green Menthol & Eucalyptus pre shave cream (lush) and then Taylors of Old Bond Street, Sandalwood shaving soap with a badger tail brush, and just started using Bull Dog mens moisturiser cream which is the Dogs danglies thats when I have the time to pamper myself. If a quick shave then you can not beat the Mach 3 system for a good close shave and blades that last, ditch the can foam its very old hat and just not up to the job, it hardly softens the beard/bristles Gillette Sensitive Gel  is a better beard softener and allows the blade to cut better, safer and helps last longer...

I buy my blades and Gel at Costco in bulk when back in UK (there is that many fake Mach 3 copies about on Markets and fleabay etc I would not touch them)

Bic and the other throw aways, only good for a Whores leg or your ar $e for an Hemmy job down at the Ozzy, the other multi blade systems are cheaper and thats because they are not as good.

It is amazing to me how so many of you are still in the early 20th century. What is wrong with electric razors? Quicker, cleaner, rechargeable, better for travel, better than scraping away at your face with old blades, etc.

I have been electric since the mid-sixties......and I don't buy that old chestnut "A wet shave is closer than an electric shave" if it is it is barely closer. Let the flame war begin!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Mansell said:

It is amazing to me how so many of you are still in the early 20th century. What is wrong with electric razors? Quicker, cleaner, rechargeable, better for travel, better than scraping away at your face with old blades, etc.

I have been electric since the mid-sixties......and I don't buy that old chestnut "A wet shave is closer than an electric shave" if it is it is barely closer. Let the flame war begin!!!!!!

Some of us are not stuck in the mid 20th century when people actually believed that.  Been there - done that - returned every time to blades.  

55 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Some of us are not stuck in the mid 20th century when people actually believed that.  Been there - done that - returned every time to blades.  

In addition, live here, or most places in SE Asia, where the supply source for the 'cutter blocks' is local / imported and even more ridiculously priced than razor blade cassettes, and given the quality of the shave (which I found was never that close with even the premium electric razors, except maybe within the first few months of installing a new cutter block), they've never been an attractive proposition.  Had a couple when I first relocated to these parts, when I finally managed to find somewhere that even stocked the cutter blocks the cost was about 50% of what I paid for the razors (which I picked up in Christmas sales).  Off!  :post-4641-1156693976:  5555.

Edited by SooKee

2 hours ago, Lokie said:

Some things you just don't skimp on...

I use traditional safety (butterfly) wet razor with Proraso  Green Menthol & Eucalyptus pre shave cream (lush) and then Taylors of Old Bond Street, Sandalwood shaving soap with a badger tail brush, and just started using Bull Dog mens moisturiser cream which is the Dogs danglies thats when I have the time to pamper myself.

Excellent. Buy a safety razor, blades, brush, and soap via Lazada. :thumbsup:

I prefer Thai razors, I only use them two three times then bin them , i seem to get a better shave than the more expensive Razors,

As for electric razors, they dont work for me , i have a soft bristle on my face so electric only gives me a rash, as i have to go over and over  my face to get a good shave.

Edited by Thongkorn

Warren Buffett has Gillette as one of his key stocks. Monopolizing the market then charging whatever price they like.

I remember a colleague once was called to the airport to pick up a parcel and they confiscated his Gillette razor blades.

It's sad that necessities such as razor blades can be so exploitative.

Also agree with Barbasol. I get at least a year out of a can.

The solution to expensive shaving is staring you in the face. If shaving was so very expensive for Thai men then perhaps we should expect them all to have beards!!

However the Thai trick is to use 1 trip blades over and over again.

Once used throughly clean the razor with an old toothbrush while holding under running water. Then rub  the blade

in a reverse direction on the hairs on your arms for a few minutes and voila the razor works perfectly again!!!!

On 8/5/2017 at 2:44 PM, tj916 said:

Ive been using the bic three blade razor.

Tesco lotus were doing a 'plomotion' the razor and two blades for 99baht.

I find they are better than Gillete and last considerably longer as well as being much cheaper.

The razor is grey and orange in colour.

^^^ wow beat me to it.

I've been using the single blade Bic disposable razors for quite some time, and they work fine for me. Buy them from Amazon in 12-pack bags for about $5-6 per bag, so works out to about 50 cents or 17 baht per piece. I usually use one razor for about two weeks before moving on.

59870fe4ad6c8_2017-08-0619_40_26.jpg.f00f998e5c0b821ad6692e75dc02b7dd.jpg

Used to use the Gillette Mach IIIs, which were expensive in the U.S. and even moreso here. But when I switched to the Bics, didn't really notice any meaningful difference in my shave.

As for shaving cream, the best deal I've found -- though sometimes it's hard to find in the stores -- is Boots house brand of shaving gel, which used to be regularly on sale for as low as 99 baht per can, but probably more commonly in the range of 140 baht per can on sale.  Lately though, I've had a hard time finding that particular item in my local Boots shops.  The Boots shaving gel quickly produces a very nice, thick and rich cream as good as any name brand product.

Back in the U.S., I can buy name brand cans of shaving cream/gel for + - $2 per can. So when I go to the store here and see those same name brands priced at 250 baht/$7.50 U.S. or more, I kind of decide to take my shaving cream business elsewhere.

I've always assumed we're getting "nicked -- so to speak -- because we live in a country where most of the native male residents (except for the third gender types...) don't seem to need or do much shaving, unlike some of the hairy bear farangs! :smile:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 hours ago, Mansell said:

For years I used to use an electric razor back in the U.S. I think I switched to blades sometime before I moved to Thailand. So I've had years of doing/using both.

Bottom line: for me, I find I get a closer, cleaner shave with my single blade disposable razors than I ever got with my Norelco triple headed electric razor. And the electric razor blades need to be replaced periodically as well, and those aren't cheap even back home.

Being here in the Third World outpost of BKK, just doing simple shaving with a simple disposable blade seems the easiest way to tackle the job.

A few bits here gents;

Imagine a field of crops gently blowing in the wind, all neatly in one direction as one... now imagine a field where Glastonbury/woodstock has just been held with all the mud, sh ite, vomit, beer and other illegal substances, the latter is the beard under an electron microscope after being pillaged by an electric razor, a wet shave leave the beard in good shape (subject to correct lubrication and moisture)

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/beard-hairs-under-a-scanning-electron-microscope.385857/

If ever you run out of shaving Gel/Cream/foam then Olive oil works fine, also good for pre-shave lotion and a few drops down your lug holes works a treat too!

Always shave after a bath or shower and you will find you get the best results and less irritation as the beard stands proud (yes after a sauna probably the closest shave but in real world bathrooms) I would NEVER Ever use a leccy shaver after seeing the microscope pics. Any wet shave is superior to them but each to his/her own facts are a good sharp blade, good lube to glide and help soften & stand the beard proud and a good after shave moisturising lotion

Use Hot towels also, just small hand towels soak in water then shove on a plate in Microwave for 30 secs, wrap your kisser pre-shave and post and feel the benefits better still get the Mrs in on the act in a nice little French Number...