Lets start a metal band in Bangkok

Leo999

Hey All,

I am a 49 yo Canadian thrash metal guitarist living and working in Bangkok. I have been in a couple of thrash metal bands in the past (in Canada) playing mostly slayer, exodus, testament, judas priest and other metal and thrash metal bands etc.

I have been living and working in Bangkok for 3 months now and am missing my weekly jams/rehearsals that I used to have with my bands and friends back in Canada. I'd like to put together something heavy for fun. Maybe play a couple of fun gigs somewhere sometimes. Nothing too serious but if it works out then hey why not.

Let me know If you would like to meet up for a coffee or have a call to see if we are on the same page.

Any age or gender or religion etc is welcome and long as you are into something heavy. Lets crank it up and have some fun.

Just to be clear, I am looking to start something heavy musically. No bon jovi or dance music or commercial music of any kind. Its gotta be metal.

Thanks,
Leo

57 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Would the music be suitable for traditional Thai dancers?

After a big bowl of extra hot som tam.......definitely.

Something like this :

Edited by Denim

15 hours ago, Leo999 said:

Hey All,

I am a 49 yo Canadian thrash metal guitarist living and working in Bangkok.

I hope you have an appropriate visa and work permit .... If not please do not encourage others to join you. The penalties for working illegally can be draconian including fines, jail time and deportation/banning.

7 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

The farang work permit police have spoken.

Take that all you amateur musicians. Our ThaiVisa police only want sexpats or sex tourists on this forum.

Really?! Would you rather see the guy arrested when he plays a gig? Take your hating someplace else!

1 minute ago, Here2008 said:

I hope you have an appropriate visa and work permit .... If not please do not encourage others to join you. The penalties for working illegally can be draconian including fines, jail time and deportation/banning.

So guys just getting together to jam at their own home need a work permit? 

11 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Be fine jamming in the privacy of your own home but take it out into the public then the powers that be can ping you for no work permit. Sounds absurd but it has happened in the past.

21 minutes ago, inThailand said:

No it does not but the neighbours might not be impressed which could lead to police complaint being made. 

However,  the OP also says "Maybe play a couple of fun gigs somewhere sometimes" which definitely would require a WP!

Edited by Here2008

14 hours ago, Denim said:

After a big bowl of extra hot som tam.......definitely.

Something like this :

i have a firm belief that every day should include at least one big, hearty, genuine laugh, thank you for ensuring today's- my cheeks are still hurting :cheesy:

11 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Be fine jamming in the privacy of your own home but take it out into the public then the powers that be can ping you for no work permit. Sounds absurd but it has happened in the past.

true- but they also often look the other way if they don't see money changing hands, it is often just termed "jamming" and not actually "working"; depends on where and when, and often who...

Just now, jenifer d said:

true- but they also often look the other way if they don't see money changing hands, it is often just termed "jamming" and not actually "working"; depends on where and when, and often who...

Roll the dice and hope the odds are in your favour.

Good luck.

26 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

27 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Really?! Would you rather see the guy arrested when he plays a gig? Take your hating someplace else!

Exactly like you said. Only Sexpats & sex tourists are welcome on these pages because everytime someone starts a topic about a hobby that they want to pursue and that maybe others want to join, a  holier-than-thou poster riding on their high horse comes out with "do you have a work permit?"  stupidity.

Whatever... if it makes you feel smug, then just keep on worrying about whether other people you don't know are obeying the law......

it must be a boring life.

6 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Roll the dice and hope the odds are in your favour.

Good luck.

actually, several times the head of our provincial immigration office asks me to sing a bit when i come in for my 90-day report, he usually requests either a few bars of "Hotel California" or "Sang Kha Ou"

4 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Exactly like you said. Only Sexpats & sex tourists are welcome on these pages because everytime someone starts a topic about a hobby that they want to pursue and that maybe others want to join, a  holier-than-thou poster riding on their high horse comes out with "do you have a work permit?"  stupidity.

Whatever... if it makes you feel smug, then just keep on worrying about whether other people you don't know are obeying the law......

well said!!! see my answer to another comment, just above this one...

3 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

actually, several times the head of our provincial immigration office asks me to sing a bit when i come in for my 90-day report, he usually requests either a few bars of "Hotel California" or "Sang Kha Ou"

cause thats exactly the same a band doing a gig in public............ bwahaahahahahahahahaha

42 minutes ago, Here2008 said:

actually, there is an amnesty until Jan 1

that notwithstanding, often in the case of music, often they look the other way, consider it "jamming" and not actually working, especially if they don't see money changing hands...

also can vary according to who, what, when, where, and how...

2 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

cause thats exactly the same a band doing a gig in public............ bwahaahahahahahahahaha

he requests that i sing for him because he KNOWs that i DO perform in public, often

(was just asked to sit in with a band playing a club last night while out w/some visiting friends)

10 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

How delusional are you ?

Nobody is saying the OP cannot have a hobby, infact most Expats living would have them.

Forming a band and performing in public has potential legal repercussions (work permit) if the paperwork is not in order, Bands have been done over in the past and bands will also in the future.

Nobody here is slagging the OP for what  he wants to do rather than saying he should get all his paperwork sorted.

Rules are pretty clear. If you were being paid to perform you need a wp. If you play for free for fun then you don't. Personally i would play for free occasional and just jam with some buddies in private most of the time. Then you are at less risk of being stitched up.

Its akin to diy or doing any work on your house. If someone is paying you to do it then its working. 

If you have any problems, get a good Thai lawyer to sort it out. Playing for free aint work.

14 minutes ago, MaiChai said:

Rules are pretty clear. If you were being paid to perform you need a wp. If you play for free for fun then you don't

Rules are pretty clear. If you were being paid to perform you need a wp. If you play for free for fun then you don't  also need a wp.