40,000 month - evidence of funds?

Hello, I am aged 49, from the UK and married with family in Thailand.

Next week I will apply for a one-year visa extension based on THB40,000 a month. And I already have a letter from the UK Embassy, showing these funds. (I will apply at Chaengwattana)

The thing is, these funds come from several places, mainly from some occasional work around the region (Indonesia and Singapore) and from a house in the UK, which I rent out.

When I apply for the visa and show my UK Embassy letter do I also need to provide all invoices etc evidencing these funds? Or just the Embassy letter itself? Or the Embassy letter and a bank book?

Any thoughts or comments would be really helpful. Thank you so much!

C  

Edited by cms22
adding that I will apply at Chaengwattana

Normally only the letter is required but best to have something to help support available if asked - no set item requirement but a foreign bank account showing deposits would probably be acceptable or proof of your rental income.  Have not seen any reports of detailed examinations but if asked you want to offer some evidence it is not local income without a work permit.

Thank you. Funds from the work I do in Indonesia and Singapore go into a Bangkok Bank account. Does that matter or would it be better showing funds into a foreign bank?

Or, as my wife reckons (because I already have the UK embassy letter) am I worrying too much??

Thanks!!

C

I'm about to do much then same.  I am using copies of my tax returns and P60s to prove fund amounts and I think that when I do to Immigration in a couple of months time, as well as the letter, I will take photo copies of the proof I gave to the Embassy.  It can't do any harm and I have nothing to hide in terms of tax liabilities.  . 

This is just back up paperwork and should keep in your folder just in case asked - they do not normally want.

If deposit is made from an account outside Thailand would would be fine.  But as wife says you probably worry too much.  But always good to be a Boy Scout and be prepared.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cms22 said:

Thank you. Funds from the work I do in Indonesia and Singapore go into a Bangkok Bank account. Does that matter or would it be better showing funds into a foreign bank?

A Thai bank book showing the funds coming in from abroad would be accepted and is probably the best proof you can show. The are not interested in the source of the income.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cms22 said:

Or, as my wife reckons (because I already have the UK embassy letter) am I worrying too much??

Thanks!!

C

Your Wife is correct.

7 hours ago, cms22 said:

Thanks!!

C

The letter should be all thats required. If they want anything else they will ask, but it's highly unlikely especially for an extension based on marriage.

You should be more worried about your tax position unless you've already taken advice.

So, yes, with Tax. I work freelance around the region (not Thailand but pretty much all around Asia) but live in Thailand. I have previously asked a lawyer about my tax situation: their response was you don't pay tax in Thailand! So I'm not clear on that!

Cheers. C

The letter from your Embassy attests to your level of income: that should be sufficient. If the Immigration Officer wishes to question the Embassy letter, the question should be directed at the Embassy, not you.

When I asked my Embassy why they required documentation of my income before issuing the letter, they replied: "In case Immigration have any questions."

I find it strange that the British Embassy issued a statement of income which included 'casual work income' normally it has to be a guaranteed regular income such as pension, rental income etc.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:54 AM, ubonjoe said:

A Thai bank book showing the funds coming in from abroad would be accepted and is probably the best proof you can show. The are not interested in the source of the income.

I think Joe is right; when I encountered issues with my income letter from the US Embassy; Thai immigration granted my extension, but made me write a letter to them promising to show the money filtering through a Thai account next year.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:31 AM, cms22 said:

As UJ already said ...

On 8/6/2017 at 10:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

The best proof if asked for would be a Thai bank book showing the funds coming into the country.

The idea would be to support the notion that you have foreign sourced funds coming into Thailand ... assuming that your claimed income is not derived  from legal employment in Thailand.

But also as said, it's unlikely they would ask for supporting documents. I've always brought along supporting proof for what I claimed on my embassy letter, but have never been asked for it.

Edited by Suradit69

42 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I think Joe is right; when I encountered issues with my income letter from the US Embassy; Thai immigration granted my extension, but made me write a letter to them promising to show the money filtering through a Thai account next year.

Is it a requirement to have overseas earnings in a Thai bank to get an extension Of stay, and are immigration allowed to make you sign a letter to state future income will be paid into a Thai bank. 

Edited by Karlo

Just now, Karlo said:

Is it a requirement to have overseas earnings in a Thai bank to get an extension Of stay, and can immigration allowed to make you sign a letter to state future income will be paid into a Thai bank. 

Whether it is a requirement/allowed or not; that is what they made me do to get my eleventh income-related retirement extension.

3 minutes ago, Karlo said:

Is it a requirement to have overseas earnings in a Thai bank to get an extension Of stay,

No.  I suspect that this issue has arisen from on or two "rogue" offices. Such demands should be resisted even if that means contacting the 1111 number or lodging a formal appeal. 

Having said that it would be legitimate for an IO to enquire how normal living expenses are met in the absence of funds being bought into Thailand. 

Edited by Here2008

7 hours ago, Goethe said:

The letter from your Embassy attests to your level of income: that should be sufficient. If the Immigration Officer wishes to question the Embassy letter, the question should be directed at the Embassy, not you.

When I asked my Embassy why they required documentation of my income before issuing the letter, they replied: "In case Immigration have any questions."

In the case of the British Embassy (relevant to the OP) what you essentially walk away with is an affidavit which means that they have signed, as a witness, to your claim of financial income.

If you have problems clarifying this income to immigration, that is entirely up to you and not the embassy to prove the income.

Just now, chrisinth said:

In the case of the British Embassy (relevant to the OP) what you essentially walk away with is an affidavit

That is incorrect.  The BE will not issue a letter (which not an affidavit) unless proof of income is supplied. No one "walks away" with such a letter as the letter can only be obtained by post. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Your Wife is correct.

Can I ask please 

you state uk embassy is that the embassy in Bangkok ?? If yes what papers did you take to them in order for them to write a letter 

did they accept print outs from online bank statements or in my case print out of pensions from 2 private and also uk pension as I'm 65

if applying when get to Thailand do I take print outs from my computer 

thanks in advanced 

6 minutes ago, drb said:

Can I ask please 

you state uk embassy is that the embassy in Bangkok ?? If yes what papers did you take to them in order for them to write a letter 

did they accept print outs from online bank statements or in my case print out of pensions from 2 private and also uk pension as I'm 65

if applying when get to Thailand do I take print outs from my computer 

thanks in advanced 

I am the OP. I sent to the UK embassy in Bangkok some invoices I had received over the past year, along with a credit card payment. It was about THB2,400.

Details are here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

I received the letter back from the embassy within a week. Very efficient.

Edited by cms22

4 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

I find it strange that the British Embassy issued a statement of income which included 'casual work income' normally it has to be a guaranteed regular income such as pension, rental income etc.

In my understanding, the requirement is not to show "regular income" just "income" - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

This will be calculated over the year to show whether you have sufficient funds to apply to the THB40,000 route.

I am not talking about the embassy now but the immigration in Thailand. Becauae if someobe have proof of income in their home country and ones embassy signs the papers and all. Someone might just dont want to transfer the funds to a thai bank account since pne usuly loose more then taking out cash threw atm or anything like that instead. As I first said I can not find anywere that the thai immigration can force an applicant to transfer the money to a thai bank account. And untill foreigners say no it is not needed they will keep on XXX all foreigners applying. So stand up for your self and dont be weak...

• Like 1

Just now, DjSilver said:

I am not talking about the embassy now but the immigration in Thailand. Becauae if someobe have proof of income in their home country and ones embassy signs the papers and all. Someone might just dont want to transfer the funds to a thai bank account since pne usuly loose more then taking out cash threw atm or anything like that instead. As I first said I can not find anywere that the thai immigration can force an applicant to transfer the money to a thai bank account. And untill foreigners say no it is not needed they will keep on XXX all foreigners applying. So stand up for your self and dont be weak...

That is difficult to translate/read.

Are you really trying to say the foreigners have no need for cash in Thailand?   Taking cash out of an ATM is one of the most expensive means of acquiring it !